Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Solaris Support
Eclipse Solaris Support [message #922907] Tue, 25 September 2012 12:51 Go to next message
Alex Thibodeau is currently offline Alex ThibodeauFriend
Hello Everyone,

I apologize if I'm putting this in the wrong section, please move it to the correct location if this is the case. My first post here on the eclipse forums. Very Happy

I understand that the Solaris builds of eclipse aren't available anymore and we were fine with that until we started hitting some SWT bugs. Namely this little guy:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=280649

I saw that the bug is fixed in Eclipse Indigo. So I've snagged that and now we're hitting another SWT bug which I'm currently in the process of debugging. It appears that it's probably somewhere in the SWT_AWT bridge area. If I find out that the bug is fixed in later versions of eclipse I would like to jump to that version. The only problem is I'm currently using the last available libraries for Solaris x86.

While it would be easiest for me if the Solaris builds were to magically come back to the Eclipse downloads location but even if that's possible I'm guessing it won't happen any time soon. However I was curious to know what it would take to build eclipse from source on my own hardware. I've done a little googling and there doesn't seem to be a nice step by step process on how to get your own eclipse build up and running.

It seems roughly like this:
1. Somehow figure out which GIT repo you want to use (What if I just want to build Juno for RCP devs?)
2. Build via one of the available building mechanisms (I was going to try the pde-build flavor)
3. profit

It looks like the SWT libraries are still supporting Solaris so not everyone has given up on the OS yet. These are just about the only options I can think of at the moment. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

[Updated on: Tue, 25 September 2012 14:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse Solaris Support [message #923016 is a reply to message #922907] Tue, 25 September 2012 14:41 Go to previous message
Alex Thibodeau is currently offline Alex ThibodeauFriend
Disregard most of the previous post. My google-fu has taken a bit longer to find it than I thought it would. Found some Solaris builds here:
http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops4/R-4.2-201206081400/

If this bug isn't fixed in this version I may need to fix it myself. Seems like this is possible using this tutorial:
http://www.eclipse.org/swt/git.php

Hopefully I won't have to go down that path. That might get a bit more involved than I have time for. Smile
Previous Topic:No jsp editor in last juno eclipse for JEE developement
Next Topic:Master Page Locked
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:04:16 GMT 2024