Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Sapphire » Setting up project
Setting up project [message #922840] Tue, 25 September 2012 11:44 Go to next message
Christian Eugster is currently offline Christian EugsterFriend
Hi,

I recently discovered this project and it seems very interesting to me. But I do not success in setup a project. I don't know the prerequisites. Es there a tutorial around, that explains how to set up a sapphire project, what preconditions have to be fullfilled? I have not found any api, so everything is quite magic to me. Can anyone help me or give some hints?

Thank you!

Christian
Re: Setting up project [message #923064 is a reply to message #922840] Tue, 25 September 2012 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
Hi Christian,

There is an intro article, but it does not cover project setup. That is an area where documentation is in need of improvement.

My getting started recommendation is as follows:

1. Install the latest version of Sapphire into your Eclipse. If you manage your dev eclipse separately from your target platform, Sapphire needs to be present in both. If you don't know what that is talking about, don't worry. By default, the Eclipse you are running is your target platform.

2. Import Sapphire samples project into your workspace. You will find a zip of the samples listed next to the framework repository for each release of Sapphire. Verify that the imported samples are building cleanly. This will confirm correctness of step #1.

3. Review the intro article and dive into the samples. A runnable version of the code used in the intro article is one of samples. Start there and branch out to other samples.

4. Practice by making a few changes to the samples. Add a constraint to an existing property. Add a new property to model and UI.

5. Once you feel confident to start your own project, compare the configuration of your project to the sample's project. You will initially need to add dependencies on Sapphire bundles in manifest.mf and enable annotation processing under project properties -> Java Compiler -> Annotation Processing. Once you get close to needing to build your plugin for distribution, you will also need customBuildCallback.xml like the one in the samples project. It is wired in in project's build.properties file.

http://www.eclipse.org/sapphire/releases/

As you progress, if something is unclear, ask questions on this forum.

- Konstantin
Re: Setting up project [message #923767 is a reply to message #923064] Wed, 26 September 2012 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Eugster is currently offline Christian EugsterFriend
Thank you Konstantin,

I am shure this helps me to step into.

Christian
Re: Setting up project [message #1743665 is a reply to message #923064] Sun, 18 September 2016 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marco Signorini is currently offline Marco SignoriniFriend
Hi all,

I've just installed a fresh version of eclipse (Neon) and I cannot find any tutorial about how to setup my environment to develop a new xml editor based on my business model, build and finally release it.

I read the introduction guide that is well written but it doesn't explain how to get really started.

If a tutorial has been already written, please point me to that page or forum discussion.
If not, please see my inline comments:

Konstantin Komissarchik wrote on Tue, 25 September 2012 15:16

1. Install the latest version of Sapphire into your Eclipse. If you manage your dev eclipse separately from your target platform, Sapphire needs to be present in both. If you don't know what that is talking about, don't worry. By default, the Eclipse you are running is your target platform.

How do that? I searched Sapphire on Ecplise market place and installed it. Is it sufficient?

2. Import Sapphire samples project into your workspace. You will find a zip of the samples listed next to the framework repository for each release of Sapphire. Verify that the imported samples are building cleanly. This will confirm correctness of step #1.

Can you provide a link to the samples? Probably I'm not understanding what you mean with framework repository.
How I can import them? I suppose you are talking about the import functionality in eclipse: what import wizard do I have to use?

3. Review the intro article and dive into the samples. A runnable version of the code used in the intro article is one of samples. Start there and branch out to other samples.

So, I can have a project that I can build with just a sample. Is it right?

4. Practice by making a few changes to the samples. Add a constraint to an existing property. Add a new property to model and UI.

That's fine!

5. Once you feel confident to start your own project, compare the configuration of your project to the sample's project. You will initially need to add dependencies on Sapphire bundles in manifest.mf and enable annotation processing under project properties -> Java Compiler -> Annotation Processing. Once you get close to needing to build your plugin for distribution, you will also need customBuildCallback.xml like the one in the samples project. It is wired in in project's build.properties file.

This will be clear once the previous steps are done.

The entire framework seems to be very powerful and a step by step guide should be perfect! Smile

Thanks,
Marco
Re: Setting up project [message #1743784 is a reply to message #1743665] Mon, 19 September 2016 15:32 Go to previous message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
Quote:
How do that? I searched Sapphire on Ecplise market place and installed it. Is it sufficient?

Yes. Your Eclipse now has Sapphire installed. When you run, you will run with Sapphire and your projects.

Quote:
Can you provide a link to the samples? Probably I'm not understanding what you mean with framework repository.

Samples zip is located on the download page for a particular Sapphire release.

https://www.eclipse.org/sapphire/releases/

Quote:
How I can import them? I suppose you are talking about the import functionality in eclipse: what import wizard do I have to use?

Unzip the samples and use Eclipse's project import wizard.

Quote:
So, I can have a project that I can build with just a sample. Is it right?

Yes
Previous Topic:How to use sapphire databind function with customized SWT UI?
Next Topic:Setting default validation messages
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:25:19 GMT 2024