Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EPP » Why has UDC development been suspended?(Reasons why UDC development has been suspended)
Why has UDC development been suspended? [message #918958] Fri, 21 September 2012 14:33 Go to next message
Ruben Martin Pozo is currently offline Ruben Martin PozoFriend
I'd like to know why UDC development has been suspended. Is it because you think it's not good enough? Are you thinking about replacing it with a different system?

We had some ideas about using UDC in our company to gather information about the users of our eclipse based tools. Any plans for the future?

Thanks

Rubén Martín Pozo
www.clankgame.com

[Updated on: Fri, 21 September 2012 14:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Why UDC development has been suspended? [message #919070 is a reply to message #918958] Fri, 21 September 2012 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Beaton is currently offline Wayne BeatonFriend
Development on the UDC stopped a long time ago. Mostly due to resource
constraints. We shutdown collection of data because, despite the efforts
of several researchers, we couldn't get any useful information out of
the data. It just wasn't worth continuing.

The UDC survives. There are some developers who have expressed interest
in moving it out of EPP and into its own project.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=388797

HTH,

Wayne

On 09/21/2012 10:33 AM, Ruben Martin Pozo wrote:
> I'd like to know why UDC development has been suspended. Is it because
> you think it's not good enough? Are you thinking about replacing it with
> a different system?
>
> We had some ideas about using UDC in our company to gather information
> about the users of our eclipse based tools. Any plans for the future?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rubén Martín Pozo
> www.clankgame.com
Re: Why UDC development has been suspended? [message #1042738 is a reply to message #919070] Tue, 16 April 2013 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eddie Galvez is currently offline Eddie GalvezFriend
No useful information? Weren't the annual developer reports produced based on UDC data? After all, it can tell you if a view goes unnoticed, or whether a particular action is invoked (depending on some underlying architecture) in one way or another, if a perspective gets used...

[Updated on: Tue, 16 April 2013 20:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Why UDC development has been suspended? [message #1066413 is a reply to message #1042738] Tue, 02 July 2013 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry for the delay. The UDC data was never used for any reports. I tinkered with it a bit and was able to get a couple of blog posts out of it. I gave the data to several university researchers who may have been able to get some personal research value out of the data, but never really bothered to share any of hint of success with me.

Intuitively, it really feels like there is value in the data. I was particularly interested in sorting out things like how groups of plug-ins are used together; that sort of information would be interesting for testing purposes.

Unfortunately, real cost of capturing and maintaining the data plus the projected cost of sorting through the data, far outweighed the projected value.
Re: Why UDC development has been suspended? [message #1128142 is a reply to message #1066413] Mon, 07 October 2013 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivan Rangelov is currently offline Ivan RangelovFriend
Hello,

I am trying to find out the most used shortcuts in eclipse but the http://www.eclipse.org/org/usagedata/results.php page somehow does not work and returns overall cound without the details I need.

Is there any place I can obtain the raw data?

p.s.
I know now UDC is no longer supported, I am intereted of the data gathered till 2011

Regards,
Ivan
Re: Why UDC development has been suspended? [message #1128230 is a reply to message #1128142] Mon, 07 October 2013 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The raw data is available here:

http://archive.eclipse.org/projects/usagedata/
Re: Why UDC development has been suspended? [message #1129160 is a reply to message #1128230] Tue, 08 October 2013 10:54 Go to previous message
Ivan Rangelov is currently offline Ivan RangelovFriend
Thank you so much!
Previous Topic:Build Juno packages from git
Next Topic:Missing Marketplace
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:02:31 GMT 2024