Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » Test scenario: is Jubula the right GUI test framework to use?(question about using Jubula in a particular test situation)
Test scenario: is Jubula the right GUI test framework to use? [message #918657] Fri, 21 September 2012 08:05 Go to next message
Erik Gilbert is currently offline Erik GilbertFriend
I have an application I need to test that has 6 GUI pages with about 10 different options that need to be set on each page. That adds up to about 60 different options in total that need to be set for each test. Each option is either a set of 4 to 10 radio buttons or a table with 4 to 10 rows. I need to test all combinations.

Would Jubula be the right GUI test framework to use in this case?
Re: Test scenario: is Jubula the right GUI test framework to use? [message #918753 is a reply to message #918657] Fri, 21 September 2012 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johann Vogel is currently offline Johann VogelFriend
If it is written in Java and uses one of the supported GUI Toolkits - totally.
By inteligently combining this checks into test cases, you can highly reduce the work you'll have to do to test all combinations.

But keep in mind that Jubula isn't fully parametriciceable (not a Word, i know, i mean you can't use everything as a paramter, but quite much.)
Re: Test scenario: is Jubula the right GUI test framework to use? [message #918767 is a reply to message #918753] Fri, 21 September 2012 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erik Gilbert is currently offline Erik GilbertFriend
Thanks for your reply!

Johann Vogel wrote on Fri, 21 September 2012 06:03
If it is written in Java and uses one of the supported GUI Toolkits - totally.

Yes, it's written in Java and uses SWT.

By inteligently combining this checks into test cases, you can highly reduce the work you'll have to do to test all combinations.

Can you give an example?

But keep in mind that Jubula isn't fully parametriciceable (not a Word, i know, i mean you can't use everything as a paramter, but quite much.)

what do you mean? can't use everything as a parameter?
Re: Test scenario: is Jubula the right GUI test framework to use? [message #921645 is a reply to message #918767] Mon, 24 September 2012 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johann Vogel is currently offline Johann VogelFriend
Can you give an example?

Jubula is built of teststeps and testcases that can be compared to functions. You can build new testcases by combining testcases/functions and by modifying their parameters, just like you can build new functions by combining old functions.
Example: You have to click button A, B, and C after editing a file, and you have 3 testcases that edit files. So you pack {Press A, Press B, Press C} in a new Test case ("function") that you can reuse in other tests.

what do you mean? can't use everything as a parameter?

As far as i tried, you can't take GUI-Components as a parameter for Test Stepts (feature, not a bug, seems to be intended)

Also you don't have classic constructs like if's or loops, to keep the testcases simple.
Re: Test scenario: is Jubula the right GUI test framework to use? [message #924147 is a reply to message #921645] Wed, 26 September 2012 14:56 Go to previous message
Felix Ziesel is currently offline Felix ZieselFriend
As far as i tried, you can't take GUI-Components as a parameter for Test Steps (feature, not a bug, seems to be intended)

Well you can propagate components to its parent Test Cases using the check box in the "Component Names"-View. This way you can describe your technical workflow in general and add the logical component name when your tests modules are functional.

Example:

Module Click and Open Window(WINDOW_TITLE)
+Click Button (Component name: nn_nn_grc, propagate this ) 
+Wait for window to open(WINDOW_TITLE)

UC1: Open Save Window
+Module Click and Open Window('Save Dialog', don't propagate it here, set the component name to save_btn)

UC2: Open Load Window
+Module Click and Open Window('Load Dialog', don't propagate it here, set the component name to load_btn)
Previous Topic:GEF Inspector/steps not working
Next Topic:NoSuchMethodError when using Eclipse 4.2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 18:19:09 GMT 2024