Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » CrossTabs - problem/feature with aggregations (multiple totals)(Row totals on xcell get dropped when report pages (controll breaks) don't have same number of columns.)
CrossTabs - problem/feature with aggregations (multiple totals) [message #915645] Mon, 17 September 2012 17:22 Go to next message
michael wirzbicki is currently offline michael wirzbickiFriend
Greetings all,

I hope to explain this as clearly as possible. I will try to work up a design file using the default db. But has anyone seen this behavor before?

Thanks in advance!
Mike W

Platform: Win7, Oracle DB, Eclipse 3.7.2, Birt(version that comes with Eclipse)

Problem: A report with a crosstab that has row aggregation sub-total, final totals as well as column totals (columns only). For xcell output if there are not equal number of columns per page(say preview) the xcell report will begin to drop right most columns.

I will try to work up a design file using the default db. But has anyone seen this behavor beofore?

Results seen:1.) I have a sql query which returns part, Yr-Month, qty and doing a cross tab which Looks like this below but in preview. Exporting to xcell with results in Option BB begin to drop Total columns and I will see different column merging results between Option AA and BB.

Option: AA
Part......1201__1202___1203__1204__1205__1206__1207__1208__1209__1210___2012___Total
Part-AA......1_____1______1_____1_____1_____1_____1_____1_____1_____1_____11______11
Part-AA......1_____1______1_____1_____1____________________________________5_______5
Total........2_____2______2_____2_____2_____1_____1_____1_____1_____1_____16______16

Option: BB
Part......1201__1202___1203__1204__1205____2012___Total
Part-BA......1_____1______1_____1_____1_______5_______5
Part-BB......1_____1______1_____1_____1____ __5_______5
Total........2_____2______2_____2_____2______10______10

Re: CrossTabs - problem/feature with aggregations (multiple totals) [message #921954 is a reply to message #915645] Mon, 24 September 2012 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
michael wirzbicki is currently offline michael wirzbickiFriend
Greetings,

I haven't worked up demo example yet. But I believe the dropping off of columns has to do with a columns limit with birt?!?!

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the birt excel emitter with eclipse 3.7 generate a xcell 2003 version? If yes then doesn't that office version (again 2003) have a 255 column limit?

Again if I am correct then is there a new emitter to generate a office 2007 version?

thanks again to everyone!

regards,
Mike W.

PS: Additional information on my report design files is that I have a list box that has a grid with cross tabs. In my example I was show initally the there are multiple option codes that may or maynot (usually)does not have the same number of columns which causes the report to column merge when exporting to xcell.

Re: CrossTabs - problem/feature with aggregations (multiple totals) [message #922231 is a reply to message #921954] Mon, 24 September 2012 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend

Michael,

How many columns are getting produced. If you select the general properties for the report and switch the report from fixed to auto does it make a difference? When you get the sample ready please post. There are other xls emitters out there, (Tribix and BIRT Exchange has one that supports 2007 I believe).

Jason
Re: CrossTabs - problem/feature with aggregations (multiple totals) [message #925275 is a reply to message #922231] Thu, 27 September 2012 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Wirzbicki is currently offline Michael WirzbickiFriend
Hi Jason,

In response to your question:

1.) General Report Layout Preference is already selected as "Auto Layout"
2.) The cross table is within a "List" that is by a field called "Option")
3.) Yes we are reviewing the other emitter that is on the BIRT Exchange for 2007 but haven't looked at the Tribix on yet.

Parital Fix to Problem:
I have implement a fix so for each "Option" I insure there are equal amount of columns generated. I insert a row the the table that I am aggregating on with a "0" zero value and using a min/max on a date field so I get for all the options of the report a min(start_date) and a max(end_date) so I can balance each section. By doing this technique BIRT will not try to merge columns on the report because each section has different number of columns. What I do get is a 1 column(for each row) used for each "option" section for the report.

I still get a 255 column limit but at least I can get more use out of the report before it starts to drop the right most columns.

regards,
Mike W.
Re: CrossTabs - problem/feature with aggregations (multiple totals) [message #925420 is a reply to message #925275] Thu, 27 September 2012 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks for the update Mike. Are you going to look at the other emitters?

Jason
Re: CrossTabs - problem/feature with aggregations (multiple totals) [message #926256 is a reply to message #925420] Fri, 28 September 2012 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Wirzbicki is currently offline Michael WirzbickiFriend
Yes Jason. We're going to look at the other emitters and test them out. But again because BIRT generates a MS-OFFICE 2K3 version there is there or not a 255 column limit with Xcell spread sheets? Thanks again for all your help!

Mike W.
Re: CrossTabs - problem/feature with aggregations (multiple totals) [message #926575 is a reply to message #926256] Fri, 28 September 2012 19:43 Go to previous message

Yes I believe 2003 has 255 limit.

Jason
Previous Topic:yet another pdf page break question
Next Topic:[SOLVED] How to specify the properties folder to report
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:40:16 GMT 2024