Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » rebase fails: "cannot delete file"
rebase fails: "cannot delete file" [message #912561] Thu, 13 September 2012 19:18 Go to next message
Brian Vosburgh is currently offline Brian VosburghFriend
I have a large (more than 100 modified files) commit I am trying to rebase to a more current parent commit. If the new parent commit consists of only small, non-conflicting changes, the rebase has no problem. But if the new parent commit is larger and conflicts with my commit (on the order of 20 conflicting files), the rebase always fails. The error dialog usually says something like this:

Checkout conflict with file: Cannot delete file: C:\Users\Brian\dev\Workspaces\dali-master-3\webtools.dali\common\plugins\org.eclipse.jpt.common.utility\src\org\eclipse\jpt\common\utility\internal\ArrayTools.java
Checkout conflict with file: Cannot delete file: C:\Users\Brian\dev\Workspaces\dali-master-3\webtools.dali\common\plugins\org.eclipse.jpt.common.utility\src\org\eclipse\jpt\common\utility\internal\ArrayTools.java

I am also unable to merge the commits using EGit.

I can use TortoiseGit to perform the rebase and resolve the conflicts outside the Eclipse workspace without a problem.

Is this a bug? I did not see one like it on Bugzilla. Is there a workaround?

Thanks.
Re: rebase fails: "cannot delete file" [message #925291 is a reply to message #912561] Thu, 27 September 2012 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Which EGit version are you using ? Are files reported in this conflict error message
deleted in one of the involved commits ?
Re: rebase fails: "cannot delete file" [message #925407 is a reply to message #925291] Thu, 27 September 2012 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn wrote on Thu, 27 September 2012 11:20
Which EGit version are you using ? Are files reported in this conflict error message
deleted in one of the involved commits ?

EGit 2.0.0

Yes, the file reported in the error message (ArrayTools.java in this case) is to be deleted by the commit I am trying to rebase.
Re: rebase fails: "cannot delete file" [message #925532 is a reply to message #925407] Thu, 27 September 2012 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Could you retry the same scenario with EGit 2.1 which I released yesterday ?
Re: rebase fails: "cannot delete file" [message #930259 is a reply to message #912561] Tue, 02 October 2012 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nelson 32 is currently offline nelson 32Friend
Long Path Tool helped me in this situation. PathTooDeep.com
Re: rebase fails: "cannot delete file" [message #940480 is a reply to message #925532] Thu, 11 October 2012 17:19 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn wrote on Thu, 27 September 2012 16:29
Could you retry the same scenario with EGit 2.1 which I released yesterday ?

I have moved to EGit 2.1 (on Eclipse 3.8.1) and this large commit no longer has problems with rebasing. The commits from origin on top of which I am rebasing are not as large and "conflicted" with my commit as the earlier, problematic, commit; but it does seem like my problem is fixed.
Previous Topic:EGit does not honor ~/.hushlogin
Next Topic:How to clone or checkout a specific branch ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:19:49 GMT 2024