Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » GEF Inspector/steps not working
GEF Inspector/steps not working [message #912006] Wed, 12 September 2012 19:16 Go to next message
Alejo Abdala is currently offline Alejo AbdalaFriend
Hi, I'm taking some first steps into Jubula in order to determine whether it is suitable for testing my organization's application, which is a GEF-centric RCP application.

I am currently being unable to use the GEF Inspector. I've read the documentation, and even placed a little accessibility plugin to see if that could help, but with no success whatsoever.

Having the AUT running, I start the GEF Inspector, wait (or not, i've tried both) for the little blue inspector icon to appear on the bottom of the window and then change focus (either with alt-tab or clicking on the window) to the AUT. I navigate over the Figure Canvas (which i *am able* to capture through object mapping) and I don't see any blue squares. If I click on any component, I don't get the textpath on the Inspector view.

Then, when I try to run a test case with a GEF interaction (trying to guess the textpaths) I get the following exception (@.jubula/rc_swt.log).
... Caused by: java.lang.[b]NullPointerException[/b]: null
	at [b]org.eclipse.jubula.rc.rcp.gef.implclasses.FigureCanvasImplClass.getViewerControl(FigureCanvasImplClass.java:88)[/b] ~[org.eclipse.jubula.rc.rcp_1.2.1.201206131127.jar:na]

(Full stack trace below)

Any thoughts? This product behaves really well and suits our needs in almost every aspect, if I can get the GEF part to work smoothly then we would be able to adopt it as our testing automation tool, so, any help will be really appreciated Smile

AUT: Mule Studio (you may try to download it from mulesoft.org, i'd post a link but the forum tells me I'm still too newbie to do so Sad )
Jubula version: Jubula 1.2.1.201206290759
GEF framework version: org.eclipse.gef_3.6.1.v20100712-1224
Environment: I tried both in a WinXP VM over VMware Fusion 5 and in MacOSX Mountain Lion

Cheers!
Alejo

(Full stack trace for the exception when running tests with GEF)

2012-09-12 15:35:38.098 [Connection.ReaderThread:Socket[addr=/172.16.130.128,port=2166,localport=2200]] ERROR o.e.j.r.c.c.AbstractCapTestCommand - InvocationTargetException: 
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: null
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[na:1.6.0_34]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.6.0_34]
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.6.0_34]
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.6.0_34]
	at org.apache.commons.beanutils.MethodUtils.invokeMethod(MethodUtils.java:216) ~[org.apache.commons.beanutils.jar:na]
	at org.apache.commons.beanutils.MethodUtils.invokeMethod(MethodUtils.java:162) ~[org.apache.commons.beanutils.jar:na]
	at org.eclipse.jubula.rc.common.commands.MethodInvoker.invoke(MethodInvoker.java:64) ~[org.eclipse.jubula.rc.common.jar:na]
	at org.eclipse.jubula.rc.common.commands.AbstractCapTestCommand.execute(AbstractCapTestCommand.java:231) ~[org.eclipse.jubula.rc.common.jar:na]
	at org.eclipse.jubula.communication.Communicator$ConnectionListener.received(Communicator.java:845) [org.eclipse.jubula.communication.jar:na]
	at org.eclipse.jubula.communication.connection.Connection.fireMessageReceived(Connection.java:402) [org.eclipse.jubula.communication.jar:na]
	at org.eclipse.jubula.communication.connection.Connection.access$3(Connection.java:391) [org.eclipse.jubula.communication.jar:na]
	at org.eclipse.jubula.communication.connection.Connection$ReaderThread.run(Connection.java:454) [org.eclipse.jubula.communication.jar:na]
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: null
	at org.eclipse.jubula.rc.rcp.gef.implclasses.FigureCanvasImplClass.getViewerControl(FigureCanvasImplClass.java:88) ~[org.eclipse.jubula.rc.rcp_1.2.1.201206131127.jar:na]
	at org.eclipse.jubula.rc.rcp.gef.implclasses.FigureCanvasImplClass.gdClickInFigure(FigureCanvasImplClass.java:392) ~[org.eclipse.jubula.rc.rcp_1.2.1.201206131127.jar:na]
	at org.eclipse.jubula.rc.rcp.gef.implclasses.FigureCanvasImplClass.gdDragFigure(FigureCanvasImplClass.java:424) ~[org.eclipse.jubula.rc.rcp_1.2.1.201206131127.jar:na]
	... 12 common frames omitted
2012-09-12 15:35:38.098 [Connection.ReaderThread:Socket[addr=/172.16.130.128,port=2166,localport=2200]] ERROR o.e.j.r.c.c.AbstractCapTestCommand - TargetException: 
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
	at org.eclipse.jubula.rc.rcp.gef.implclasses.FigureCanvasImplClass.getViewerControl(FigureCanvasImplClass.java:88) ~[org.eclipse.jubula.rc.rcp_1.2.1.201206131127.jar:na]
	at org.eclipse.jubula.rc.rcp.gef.implclasses.FigureCanvasImplClass.gdClickInFigure(FigureCanvasImplClass.java:392) ~[org.eclipse.jubula.rc.rcp_1.2.1.201206131127.jar:na]
	at org.eclipse.jubula.rc.rcp.gef.implclasses.FigureCanvasImplClass.gdDragFigure(FigureCanvasImplClass.java:424) ~[org.eclipse.jubula.rc.rcp_1.2.1.201206131127.jar:na]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[na:1.6.0_34]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.6.0_34]
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.6.0_34]
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.6.0_34]
	at org.apache.commons.beanutils.MethodUtils.invokeMethod(MethodUtils.java:216) ~[org.apache.commons.beanutils.jar:na]
	at org.apache.commons.beanutils.MethodUtils.invokeMethod(MethodUtils.java:162) ~[org.apache.commons.beanutils.jar:na]
	at org.eclipse.jubula.rc.common.commands.MethodInvoker.invoke(MethodInvoker.java:64) ~[org.eclipse.jubula.rc.common.jar:na]
	at org.eclipse.jubula.rc.common.commands.AbstractCapTestCommand.execute(AbstractCapTestCommand.java:231) ~[org.eclipse.jubula.rc.common.jar:na]
	at org.eclipse.jubula.communication.Communicator$ConnectionListener.received(Communicator.java:845) [org.eclipse.jubula.communication.jar:na]
	at org.eclipse.jubula.communication.connection.Connection.fireMessageReceived(Connection.java:402) [org.eclipse.jubula.communication.jar:na]
	at org.eclipse.jubula.communication.connection.Connection.access$3(Connection.java:391) [org.eclipse.jubula.communication.jar:na]
	at org.eclipse.jubula.communication.connection.Connection$ReaderThread.run(Connection.java:454) [org.eclipse.jubula.communication.jar:na]
Re: GEF Inspector/steps not working [message #915503 is a reply to message #912006] Mon, 17 September 2012 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, I tested this building the application having configured the target platform as Juno (that is, GEF plugin at version 3.8.0) and I'm still having the same issue. Any thoughts on this? Anything I can do to help getting over this difficulty?
Re: GEF Inspector/steps not working [message #916223 is a reply to message #912006] Tue, 18 September 2012 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(Sorry for the triple post) Also tested it with GEF version 3.7.2 (recommended/tested version, as by the User Manual).

Eclipse Graphical Editing Framework GEF
Version: 3.7.2.v20110927-2020-777D381B4Bz0755B465D34242

I'd much appreciate some feedback on this issue Smile thanks!

[Updated on: Tue, 18 September 2012 18:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: GEF Inspector/steps not working [message #916553 is a reply to message #916223] Wed, 19 September 2012 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Hi,

I had a quick look in the most recently released version, and when using the example application that is installed with the Jubula standalone (GEF Example), I was able to inspect with no problems.

One thing I can't read from your post is whether you are clicking to activate the AUT before you try to collect a textpath. You may need to do this (it is mostly easier just to click the figure you want to collect twice (though not as a double click!) and then it should work).

The other things that come to mind are:
- Perhaps the accessibility plugin you wrote is causing problems. Do you get the same errors without it?
- Perhaps the figures that you are using are in some way different to the ones we test out of the box at the moment.

HTH,
Alex
Re: GEF Inspector/steps not working [message #916827 is a reply to message #916553] Wed, 19 September 2012 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Alex, thanks for the feedback.

As of the ways of using the inspector, i've tried several ways:
* Clicking the canvas and then the figure.
* Clicking furiously on the figure.
* Alt Tab, then figure.
* Click on the shell, then figure.
* Click on the canvas' tab, then figure.
(All of this trying before and after the small inspector icon appears on Jubula, how should this be done?)

I think I've found a workaround for this, maybe it could help you track down the problem (or rare case, maybe the application layout is not that common)

The View that contains the canvas has as well 3 tabs. The Canvas is one of them and is the one that is open by default. The inspector will work if I, before doing anything in Jubula, switch between tabs (go from the canvas to xml, and back to the canvas). Maybe that way Jubula can get a grasp of the viewer control. (Knowing this, i checked that the accessibility plugin was fine, great feature to have!)

It would be great if this could be fixed, since most of the tests we'd need are based on the canvas, and having to do that tab switch in every test would be annoying.

If you are willing to tackle this issue and you need any help from our side, just ping me at: alejo dot abdala at mulesoft dot com

Thanks!
Re: GEF Inspector/steps not working [message #924025 is a reply to message #916827] Wed, 26 September 2012 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zeb Ford-Reitz is currently offline Zeb Ford-ReitzFriend
Hi Alejo,

I think your point about the layout is absolutely correct. I don't think the code for identifying GraphicalViewers is set up to handle the layout that you've described. For some additional insight, this code is mostly located here and here. I think it would be great for everyone if Jubula could support "non-standard" layouts for GraphicalViewers; would you be willing to file a bug? If your AUT is free (or even better, open source) you could provide a link to download it so that the Jubula team can analyze the problem first-hand.

- Zeb
Re: GEF Inspector/steps not working [message #924138 is a reply to message #924025] Wed, 26 September 2012 14:48 Go to previous message
Hi Zeb, thanks for the feedback! I just created https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=390449 as you suggested Smile The application is free (link in the bugzilla entry), though its source code is not open. Yet, as I stated in an earlier message, we are open to collaborate. Just email me (alejo dot abdala at mulesource dot com) if you need any additional information/technical details/code.
Previous Topic:5009: AUT start failed
Next Topic:Test scenario: is Jubula the right GUI test framework to use?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:34:53 GMT 2024