Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse keyboard shortcuts load/save
icon5.gif  Eclipse keyboard shortcuts load/save [message #911847] Wed, 12 September 2012 12:51 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hello,

I am passing through an Eclipse keyboard shortcut customization fiasco.
I was using Indigo for c++ and Java, and now want to use Juno.
I want to keep my shortcuts.

I tried the import/export facility but many shortcuts don't work. They seem to be bound to the respective commands in Preferences > Keys, but they don't work. Also, there are no visible conflicts. For example, I have Shift+Ctrl+S bound to SVN Sychronize, but when I press it, I get a small window in the bottom right corner showing that this shortcut coflicts with 'Save All'. However, when filtering for Shift+Ctrl+S in Keys, I see no conflict for this key.

Started to dig inside workspace configuration files, specifically <workspace>/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime/.settings/org.eclipse.ui.workbench.prefs. There, I see that I have 2 expected key bindings:

<keyBinding commandId\="org.eclipse.search.ui.performTextSearchFile" contextId\="org.eclipse.ui.textEditorScope" keyConfigurationId\="org.eclipse.ui.defaultAcceleratorConfiguration" keySequence\="CTRL+SHIFT+S"/>
<keyBinding commandId\="org.eclipse.team.svn.ui.command.SynchronizeCommand" contextId\="org.eclipse.ui.contexts.window" keyConfigurationId\="org.eclipse.ui.defaultAcceleratorConfiguration" keySequence\="CTRL+SHIFT+S"/>

... one being for Synchronizing a project when it's selected in Project Explorer, and the other for searching a word using editor scope. They don't conflict with each other and worked like a charm in previous version of Eclipse, Indigo.

I notice 2 other bindings containing SHIFT+CTRL+S:

<keyBinding contextId\="org.eclipse.ui.contexts.window" keyConfigurationId\="org.eclipse.ui.defaultAcceleratorConfiguration" keySequence\="CTRL+SHIFT+S"/>
<keyBinding contextId\="org.eclipse.ui.contexts.window" keyConfigurationId\="org.eclipse.ui.defaultAcceleratorConfiguration" keySequence\="CTRL+SHIFT+S"/>

After removing these from the file, and restarting Eclipse, magic happens: the Preferences > Keys dialog shows 'SVN Synchronize' conflict with 'Save All'. Now I can un-bind the 'Save all' command and voila - it works.

Digging some more, I find that this triggered a modification of a different config file, <workspace>/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.e4.workbench/workbench.xmi, specifically it added the "deleted" bit for the Save All binding:

<bindings xmi:id="_u5UL8_vnEeG8LJ5AnbQ0RQ" keySequence="CTRL+SHIFT+S" command="_u4d3hfvnEeG8LJ5AnbQ0RQ">
<tags>deleted</tags>
</bindings>

... the command _u4d3hfvnEeG8LJ5AnbQ0RQ being, well, 'Save All'.

My conclusion is that migrating shortcuts is difficult, if possible at all. Impossible with import/export utility and a nightmare using config files - because of their intricate format and the fact they interact with each other in magical ways.

Question is obvious, did any of you pull this off?
Re: Eclipse keyboard shortcuts load/save [message #912577 is a reply to message #911847] Thu, 13 September 2012 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Yep, this looks broken.
Since these bindings are not implemented in JDT I suggest asking this question in the Eclipse Platform forum: http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/f/11/

Stephan
Re: Eclipse keyboard shortcuts load/save [message #912842 is a reply to message #912577] Fri, 14 September 2012 09:24 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Thanks, I just did that.

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/mv/msg/376188/912839/#msg_912839

I guess this thread could be deleted.
Previous Topic:API change for IVMConnector in Eclipse 4.2
Next Topic:question about how Listeners work
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 10:40:49 GMT 2024