Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » "Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory" error in "RUI with Database" tutorial(Running the deployed project on the embedded Tomcat server produces error)
"Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory" error in "RUI with Database" tutorial [message #911578] Tue, 11 September 2012 22:36 Go to next message
Jeffrey Gardner is currently offline Jeffrey GardnerFriend
I'm working through the "RUI with Database" tutorial with EDT version:
Eclipse IDE for EGL Web Developers 0.8.1.v201207181102 epp.package.edt

The final project works in the Preview tab, and in the Debug mode.

However, when I try to run the deployed project ("Run as/Run on Server") in my embedded Tomcat 6 (that has the derbyclient.jar in its lib directory), I get the following error logged by the service's logging function:

Exception: SQLService, getAllPayments, SQLSTATE = , message = Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (Password length (0) is outside the range of 1 to 255.): [sqlstate:null][sqlcode:0]

I found no hits on the message on the Eclipse site. The few returns I got on an internet search did not refer to EGL and I did not understand what they were saying. I don't know if this is a Derby, Tomcat, or EDT problem.

I'm looking for insight!

Re: "Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory" error in "RUI with Database" tutor [message #912059 is a reply to message #911578] Wed, 12 September 2012 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Moulton is currently offline Richard MoultonFriend
Jeffrey,
I may be completely off target here but I remember reading somewhere that a Derby DB only allows one connection, which includes your IDE. So, if you've got a database connection open in the IDE you probably won't be able to access the same DB again; you'd have to close the IDE server/DB connection first.
Richard
Re: "Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory" error in "RUI with Database" tutor [message #912376 is a reply to message #912059] Thu, 13 September 2012 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's what I tried:

I started the IDE but did not do the "Start network Derby server" option. I did a "Run on server" and got the same error.

I then did "Start the network Derby server", did the "Run on server" and got the same error.

Is there a way to check whether I really do have some connection under the covers when the server is running?
Re: "Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory" error in "RUI with Database" tutor [message #915710 is a reply to message #912376] Mon, 17 September 2012 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeffrey,

I tried the tutorial and received exactly the same problem, I was on the wrong track when I thought it might have been down to having multiple connections to the same db.

It's exactly as the message says, the password to the db is zero length. I'm not sure why this is a problem when run on the server and not from the IDE preview pane but that is the problem.

To solve this you need to provide a password, any password, it doesn't appear to matter what the password is. To do this open up the database development perspective. Then expand up the Database Connections option and you should see your 'Derby' connection profile. Right-click against it and select properties. Then click on the JDBC connection properties and specify a password, I used wibble, are you a fan of Blackadder? I also clicked the save password option and then OK. You'll need to deploy your project again but that should do the trick.

Richard
Re: "Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory" error in "RUI with Database" tutor [message #915720 is a reply to message #915710] Mon, 17 September 2012 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you so much for the information. It worked.

You actually answered two questions for me. I had just started hunting around in EDT for where my connection profile lived to look at the properties when your message came in. Two birds with one stone! Way to go!

(So much for clarity in the error messages. It did say a password length of 0 was unacceptable, but I had no idea what to do about it, and the message did not even hint at a solution.)

Now I might try reformatting the connection to use my iSeries as the database...

Thanks again. -- Jeff G.
Re: "Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory" error in "RUI with Database" tutor [message #916026 is a reply to message #915720] Tue, 18 September 2012 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nathan Reed is currently offline Nathan ReedFriend
Richard/Jeff:

Just wanted to pile on with thx to Richard.

I spent several hours trying to figure out why there was no place to view/maintain the connection. Probably obvious to experienced Eclipse/java techs but..............

Richard had to hit me in the head twice for me to see it.

Thx again,

Nathan Reed
Re: "Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory" error in "RUI with Database" tutor [message #916169 is a reply to message #915710] Tue, 18 September 2012 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend
Richard Moulton wrote on Mon, 17 September 2012 15:23
I used wibble, are you a fan of Blackadder?

Big fan of all-things Rowan Atkinson.

Blackadder: "I've got a plan so cunning, you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel!"
Re: "Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory" error in "RUI with Database" tutor [message #916182 is a reply to message #916169] Tue, 18 September 2012 17:05 Go to previous message
George: "What is your name?"

Blackadder: "Wibble."

George: "What is 2 plus 2?"

Blackadder: "Wibble, Wibble."

Blackadder, trying to prove he is mad, in his bunker, with underpants on his head and a pendil up each nostril

I can just picture him now, it cracks me up every time I see it, good stuff.

Richard
Previous Topic:DataGrid is broken?
Next Topic:DojoMenu-submenu
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:55:28 GMT 2024