Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Juno complaints(Wondering what to do about Juno)
Juno complaints [message #911003] Mon, 10 September 2012 19:46 Go to next message
Jamie Strachan is currently offline Jamie StrachanFriend
I have been using Juno for a few weeks now.
I consider it a fairly big step backwards from Helios.

- The styling is not as nice; the tabs don't seem to pop as much, and so it's harder to spot my active tab. Okay that's pretty minor.
- More exceptions
I seem to get a major exception each day when I start for the first time, and the Navigator dies with an exception message. I can close and reopen the Navigator, and it loads okay, but it doesn't work properly. I have to kill juno and restart it.
- Customize Perspective
Every time I restart eclipse, it botches up my perspectives, adding buttons that I previously removed from the toolbar. I have to select "Customize Perspective", make a change, save it, open it again, undo my change, and then save it.
- My preferred keybinding for Undo (Ctrl+Y) won't stick! Somehow, Undo is mapped to Shift+Ctrl+Z, even though that's not in my bindings, and Ctrl+Y is!

Just wondering if anyone else has seen these problems, and if I should post these as bugs, or just suck it up?

Despite these problems, Eclipse is STILL awesome!!!

Thanks,

Jamie.
Re: Juno complaints [message #911027 is a reply to message #911003] Mon, 10 September 2012 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim F is currently offline Jim FFriend
As a recent Eclipse noob, I find it a little funny in a sad sort of way. I get so many errors from this thing I don't know where to start. I'll confess that I'm using the ADT plugin, but it doesn't seem like that's what's causing the trouble.

I'm running it on a 9-month old computer, Windows 7 x64, with 8GB of RAM, and usually minimal other apps open during development so it shouldn't be a resource issue. I have problems with the Perspective not staying changed once I change it, other times views won't display correctly in the right spot, changes set up for the workspace don't stick, and today editing xml files is a complete joke with screen repaint errors (or something close to it) preventing me from seeing what I'm really doing. Rebooting Eclipse or the PC repeatedly makes no difference.

The properties window comes and goes, it doesn't display the items from the outline view, the debugger needs to be debugged, and I don't know from one day to the next what the next problem will be; I just know that there will be one, and there are no fixes.

I understand that I didn't pay for the IDE and I'm grateful some smart people have contributed a lot of work, but I'm convinced that it makes my job harder much of the time, not easier. I have little to any hope that it will improve soon, but I guess there's always hope.
Re: Juno complaints [message #911200 is a reply to message #911027] Tue, 11 September 2012 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

It's more constructive to open bug reports in Bugzilla with clear, reproducible steps, details on which buttons keep reappearing, and the specifics of the error messages you're encountering, particularly if you can reproduce them without ADT being present.

http://bugs.eclipse.org/

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Juno complaints [message #911379 is a reply to message #911200] Tue, 11 September 2012 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Tue, 11 September 2012 03:16
It's more constructive to open bug reports in Bugzilla with clear, reproducible steps, details on which buttons keep reappearing, and the specifics of the error messages you're encountering, particularly if you can reproduce them without ADT being present.

http://bugs.eclipse.org/

Okay, thanks, I have logged a few bugs this morning.
Re: Juno complaints [message #975037 is a reply to message #911379] Wed, 07 November 2012 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have given up in frustration, and gone back to Indigo. I am much happier now!!!
Re: Juno complaints [message #975066 is a reply to message #975037] Wed, 07 November 2012 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 11/7/2012 7:45 AM, Jamie Strachan wrote:
> I have given up in frustration, and gone back to Indigo. I am much
> happier now!!!

This is one of the best things about Eclipse and I'm amazed that our
community rarely bats an eye when someone writes into a forum to say
they're using Europa, Ganymede, etc. It is a little frustrating and
makes one wonder why someone would not get the latest version.

This said, I'm a long-time user of Eclipse (since just before Europa)
and I've recently forced myself on one of my computers to begin using
Juno (running Ubuntu GNOME, maybe Windows is better?)

You know what? It seems to work well enough, but I really do hate the
visual experience. Many things are not as crisp and obvious and others,
like rearranging views, are just a bit harder to pull off.

But, like Jamie here, I can always return to Indigo or, what the hell,
even to Helios, which I love, it was rock-solid and I still use it on
too many of my computers. It's hard to move ahead when things are perfect!

(Sorry for this post which isn't particularly useful to anyone.)
Re: Juno complaints [message #1005130 is a reply to message #975066] Thu, 24 January 2013 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jason berk is currently offline jason berkFriend
use this to get the indigo look in Juno (which is terrible at this point in time)
blog.sangupta.com/2012/08/change-eclipse-juno-ui-to-match-eclipse.html
Re: Juno complaints [message #1005268 is a reply to message #1005130] Thu, 24 January 2013 18:42 Go to previous message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 1/24/2013 11:22 AM, jason berk wrote:
> use this to get the indigo look in Juno (which is terrible at this point
> in time)
> blog.sangupta.com/2012/08/change-eclipse-juno-ui-to-match-eclipse.html

It's probably not super loyal as a forum regular to say so, but this
long-time Eclipse user thinks the Juno look and feel sucks too. If it
hadn't sort of coincided with Ubuntu dropping Unity on us, I might have
been more sanguine or even accepting about it. I have just not been in
the mood for sweeping interface changes the last 12-18 months that don't
help me do what I'm using the tools to do in the first place.

Thanks for posting this and sorry for any ruffled feathers out there.
Previous Topic:Standalone Help
Next Topic:Programmatically generate working set
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:52:06 GMT 2024