Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Graphiti » Handling business objects shared among different diagrams
Handling business objects shared among different diagrams [message #909558] Fri, 07 September 2012 10:29 Go to next message
Joao S is currently offline Joao SFriend
Hello everyone,

Following drill down example in Graphiti Help Contents and as far as i can see, each diagram resorce has its own resource set and shared business objects are synchronized through WorkspaceSynchronizer class which is initialized in the DefaultUpdateBehaviour.

I want to develop a drill down feature but in my scenario, i´m saving my business objects to a legacy database (through an EMF Resource that I wrote) and my diagrams as a binary in that database as well (I achieved this by extending the existing EMF BinaryResource).

So, I´m having some trouble trying to synchronize business objects wich are shared among different open diagrams as WorkspaceSynchronizer doesn´t work for my scenario.

I´ve already tried to extend DefaultUpdateBehaviour so that all diagram resources are grouped in a single Resource Set but doing that TransactionalEditingDomain Command Stack will also be shared among all diagrams which leads to some unwanted behaviour (it gets specially hard to manage UNDO / REDO).

Any thoughts on this?

I´ve already thought about attaching adapters to every emf objets so that i could be notified about changes and then try to synchronize the rest of the resourcesets but i think this would have an horrible performance.

I hope this is clear Smile

Thanks,
Joao

[Updated on: Fri, 07 September 2012 10:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Handling business objects shared among different diagrams [message #910701 is a reply to message #909558] Mon, 10 September 2012 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Wenz is currently offline Michael WenzFriend
Joao,

that's a hard one... :-(

An option I see would be to to work with seperate contexts (see eclipse core
IUndoContext interface) to tag the entries coming from different editors and
appear in the command stack. But this might require also changes in
Graphiti's command stack implementation. So I'm not sure if it helps...

Michael
Re: Handling business objects shared among different diagrams [message #910844 is a reply to message #910701] Mon, 10 September 2012 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your answer, I´ll see what I can do about that.

But just one other question, is there any hook so that i can provide my own ResourceSet implementation?

Thank,
Joao
Re: Handling business objects shared among different diagrams [message #911166 is a reply to message #910844] Tue, 11 September 2012 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Wenz is currently offline Michael WenzFriend
Joao,

there's a method createEditingDomain() inside DefaultUpdateBehavior that you
can override to create your own editing domain/resource set combination.

Michael
Re: Handling business objects shared among different diagrams [message #911761 is a reply to message #911166] Wed, 12 September 2012 09:17 Go to previous message
Hello Michael,

Quote:
there's a method createEditingDomain() inside DefaultUpdateBehavior that you
can override to create your own editing domain/resource set combination.

Thanks!

I was looking at ResourceSetImpl and i found this:

/**
   * Returns a resolved resource available outside of the resource set.
   * It is called by {@link #getResource(URI, boolean) getResource(URI, boolean)}
   * after it has determined that the URI cannot be resolved
   * based on the existing contents of the resource set.
   * This implementation looks up the URI in the {#getPackageRegistry() local} package registry.
   * Clients may extend this as appropriate.
   * @param uri the URI
   * @param loadOnDemand whether demand loading is required.
   */
  protected Resource delegatedGetResource(URI uri, boolean loadOnDemand)

Following my first post questions, I was thinking about extending ResourceSetImpl and use some kind of global resource registry so that when a shared object, outside of the resource set was need, this shared object resource would be returned here.

I still don´t know if it will work, but i guess i can give it a try.

Thanks,
João
Previous Topic:Connection Selection Tolerance, Adjusting Connection Context, Automatic Layout
Next Topic:Redraw widgets for different types of input in Properties view
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 14:41:24 GMT 2024