Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » Accessibility for SWT and JFACE widgets(Accessibility for SWT and JFACE widgets)
Accessibility for SWT and JFACE widgets [message #908671] Wed, 05 September 2012 19:22 Go to next message
Roop Virdi is currently offline Roop VirdiFriend
Hello

I have RCP application and I want to make it 508 compliance, how can I do this. In the runtime, I am making some widgets enable/disable. But sceen reader is not identifying the combo boxes, radio buttons, drop- downs and check boxes etc.

I am using setEnabled method for this behavior.

Please help. Provide me some examples.

Ragards
--nvirdi
Re: Accessibility for SWT and JFACE widgets [message #909800 is a reply to message #908671] Fri, 07 September 2012 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carolyn MacLeod is currently offline Carolyn MacLeodFriend
I need some more information.
In general, a screen reader will not identify a disabled control because disabled controls do not take focus. So I don't understand what you mean when you say that the screen reader is not identifying some controls.
I also need to know which Eclipse version, which screen reader (name and version), and which platform you are running on (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc).
Thanks.
Re: Accessibility for SWT and JFACE widgets [message #911007 is a reply to message #909800] Mon, 10 September 2012 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roop Virdi is currently offline Roop VirdiFriend
Hello Carolyn

Thanks for your reply. We are using eclipse 3.4.1, Window XP, and JAWS reader. I have several issues, some of them are as follows:

-Disabled form fields are not rendered to assistive technology. Recommendation: Change disabled to read-only, which will allow assistive technology to render the data.

-Buttons 'Save', 'Undo' and 'Redo' are enabled dynamically. Dynamic changes do not provide a cue to AT user and device of change.

-Form fields that have a set focus cause an assistive technology user to bypass preceding form data.

-How can I tell that a particular fiels is required or not because 508 expert wants JAWS to read that "A is a require field".

I will appreciate your response. Also most of the 508 experts wants RCP application to be 508 compliant like web application like the last issue for required fields. They don't want any work around.

Thanks
nvirdi
Re: Accessibility for SWT and JFACE widgets [message #911538 is a reply to message #911007] Tue, 11 September 2012 20:29 Go to previous message
Grant Gayed is currently offline Grant GayedFriend
On 9/10/2012 3:57 PM, Roop Virdi wrote:
> Hello Carolyn
> Thanks for your reply. We are using eclipse 3.4.1, Window XP, and JAWS
> reader. I have several issues, some of them are as follows:

While you're waiting for Car's response you should try your cases with
Eclipse/SWT 3.8 or 4.2, because the problem(s) may be fixed. SWT's
accessibilty implementation adapts over time to changes in screen
readers like JAWS, so if your JAWS version is less than four years old
then there it may work better with a newer release of Eclipse/SWT.

Grant
Previous Topic:Regarding SWT Spinner
Next Topic:HTML5 support for SWTBrowser
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 09:24:31 GMT 2024