Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » Fun with EDT(Maze game...)
Fun with EDT [message #907441] Tue, 04 September 2012 02:29 Go to next message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend
My latest EDT "fun" project is up on my web site. It's a solve-the-maze game ("Amaze Me"). To create Amaze Me I resurrected Chris Laffra's 2D drawing API from EGL CE. After porting the API to EDT I extended it significantly by adding support for polygons, image manipulation, and other features I knew I would need in my game. (My ultimately goal is to contribute the API to the EDT project.)

Amaze Me includes the following features:
- "Perfect" maze generation. (A perfect maze has one and only one path from any point in the maze to any other point. This means that the maze has no inaccessible sections or cells, no circular paths, and no open areas.)
- Multiple maze size options.
- 2D and 3D views.
- 2D view shows overview with viewable portion of maze indicated along with mouse and cheese positions (very useful for large mazes).
- Scrolling and panning are supported in 2D mode on large mazes.
- 3D view optionally shows a 2D mini-view to help you keep your bearings.
- Optional breadcrumbs help you keep track of where you've been in both 2D and 3D modes.
- Two varieties of auto-solve (one animated, one not) are there for when you give up.
- Scoring system based on maze complexity, optimal movement, and elapsed game time.

Amaze Me runs well on Firefox, Chrome, and Safari and I tested with all three in their current versions. However, because the game uses HTML 5 Canvas capabilities extensively, it does not run at all on Internet Explorer prior to the latest release of IE 9 (and I haven't tested with IE 9).

Check out Amaze Me at www.dandarnellonline.com (see the Software tab) or go directly to the game at:

http://www.dandarnellonline.com/AmazeMeTC/amazeme.html

I think that Amaze Me is another great example of the both the extensibility and the versatility of EGL/EDT. If you get a chance to play the game, please let me know.

--Dan
Re: Fun with EDT [message #908013 is a reply to message #907441] Tue, 04 September 2012 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Svihovec is currently offline Brian SvihovecFriend
Dan,

This game is very cool!

Writing a 'perfect maze' algorithm and porting the 2D drawing API to EDT seem like they would be difficult tasks on their own, so it is really impressive to see everything running together in a full featured and polished game.

I would love to hear the best practices, gotchas, shortcomings, etc, that you discovered while writing this game, possibly through a "Guest Blogger" series?

-Brian

Re: Fun with EDT [message #908134 is a reply to message #907441] Tue, 04 September 2012 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt Heitz is currently offline Matt HeitzFriend
Dan,

This is outstanding! Please write more games so I can play at work and call it "research".

-Matt
Re: Fun with EDT [message #908476 is a reply to message #907441] Wed, 05 September 2012 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Moulton is currently offline Richard MoultonFriend
Dan,

It's an impressive piece of work, well done.

Oh, and by the way, I managed to score 12,276 ... beat that!

Richard
Re: Fun with EDT [message #908680 is a reply to message #907441] Wed, 05 September 2012 19:46 Go to previous message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Brian: I will think about writing something up and sending it your way. There were indeed points along the way where I thought "hey, that was easy" or "that was harder than it should have been" ... things that others might benefit from knowing. (Believe it or not, initializing that dang dynamic two-dimensional array was probably the biggest challenge I faced -- just could not crack the syntax on that sucker.) I also made some notes on some things that could become snippets on the wiki.

--Dan
Previous Topic:Trident the only option?
Next Topic:Bad Major Version
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:22:06 GMT 2024