Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Matching cross-references and IDs(How to avoid possible ambiguity between rules that have cross-references and IDs)
Matching cross-references and IDs [message #906330] Sat, 01 September 2012 06:15
Erik Duymelinck is currently offline Erik DuymelinckFriend
Hi Everyone,

I am evaluating whether I should use Xtext for a project. In order to do so I wrote a grammar that looks a lot like a subset of C (without pre-processor support). During that exercise I ran into an issue that I could not overcome, even after reading through the documentation several times and reading through some of the relevant blog and forum posts that are available. Therefore I was hoping someone on this forum might be willing to look at this and share their thoughts and suggestions.

Below is a stripped down but functional version of my original grammar, which exhibits my problem. It only has declarations with optional initialisers, and simple expressions.

The problems start occurring as soon as I allow declarations to have a user defined type as defined in a "typedef" statement in addition to the built-in types. The parser will then start matching identifiers (e.g. on the LHS of an assignment) as a TypeSpecifier. This then results in a TypeDef that cannot be found since it doesn't exist. Some code examples below clarify.

grammar org.xtext.example.mydsl.MyDsl with org.eclipse.xtext.common.Terminals

import "http://www.eclipse.org/emf/2002/Ecore" as ecore

generate myDsl "<removed http> www.xtext.org/example/mydsl/MyDsl"

Model: (code+=Statement)*;

AssignmentOperator:	 
    '=' | '+='	| '-='
;

StorageClass: 
    "extern" | "static" | "auto" | "register"
;

BuiltinType:
    "char" | "int" | "long"
;

Statement:
    (Declaration | Expression) ";"
;

TypeDef:
    'typedef' declSpec=DeclarationSpecifiers? name=ID
;

TypeSpecifier: 
    type=BuiltinType | name=[TypeDef]
;

DeclarationSpecifiers:
    storage=StorageClass typeSpec=TypeSpecifier? 
    | typeSpec=TypeSpecifier storage=StorageClass? 
;

Declaration:
    TypeDef | declSpec=DeclarationSpecifiers initDecl=InitDeclarator?
;

InitDeclarator:	
    name=ID ('=' init=Expression)?
;

Expression:
    UnaryExpression ( {Expression.left=current} op=AssignmentOperator => right=Expression)?
;

UnaryExpression:  
    name=[InitDeclarator] | val=INT | '(' expr=Expression ')'
;

If I try to parse the following statement sequence, I get the results indicated as comments next to the statement:

static int a;  // 1. ok
int extern b;  // 2. ok
typedef int B; // 3. ok
int c;         // 4. ok
B b;           // 5. ok
static d;      // 6. typedef "d" not found
c = 0;         // 7. typedef "c" not found

I am under the impression that there is an issue in my DeclarationSpecifiers parser rule and/or that I am not understanding the cross-referencing mechanism correctly.

It seems that a rule containing a cross-reference will actually match any ID and only check the actual cross-reference at link time. A blog post on the itemis site about this matter (cross-references and scoping - part 1) seems to confirm this and talks about ways to deal with a related case:

Rule2: ... (ref=[Type] | simpleValue=ID)...

Introducing keywords or common supertypes are mentioned as possible solutions. However, I don't want to introduce new keywords and I don't see how I can create a common super type in my case: I have [TypeDef] or BuiltinType (which are essentially keywords).

Before I came to the conclusion that my issue might be in the way I use cross-referencing, I tried various versions of my DeclarationSpecifiers rule. Below is just one of these attempts, which I am mentioning because it caused an IllegalStateException when parsing the statements above with the generated parser. Not sure if this is a bug in ANTLR or Xtext and if so, whether I should file a bugzilla.

DeclarationSpecifiers:
  (storage=StorageClass & typeSpec=TypeSpecifier) | storage=StorageClass | typeSpec=TypeSpecifier
;

Please let me know if you have any ideas of how I could work through the cross-reference problems in my grammar, or any pointers to available information that I might have missed.

Thank you,

Erik Duymelinck

Previous Topic:Content assist for qualifiedName as exists for ID
Next Topic:Formatting in EmbeddedEditor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 11:00:23 GMT 2024