Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » copy test cases or test steps?(is there a way to copy test cases and test steps?)
copy test cases or test steps? [message #906025] Fri, 31 August 2012 13:30 Go to next message
Erik Gilbert is currently offline Erik GilbertFriend
I created some test cases that contain steps that I will likely repeat in other test cases. Is there a way to copy these steps and use them in other test cases? I couldn't seem to find this type of functionality.
Re: copy test cases or test steps? [message #907070 is a reply to message #906025] Mon, 03 September 2012 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It looks like there is not really a way to simply copy and paste test cases and test steps. I tried to extract a set of test steps. But then to use them in another test case, I would need to change the parameters in the test steps and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this.
Re: copy test cases or test steps? [message #907183 is a reply to message #907070] Mon, 03 September 2012 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Hi,

These forum entries might help a bit:
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/240093/

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/354259/

I think the extract function is correct if you want to reuse things. There is a way of changing parameters in test steps, the documentation for referencing data is here.

If you're still using Test Steps, you may want to think about changing to using Test Cases from the library in Jubula. The Cheat Sheet "First Steps" (startable from the Help menu under "Cheat Sheets") will show you how to use the library.

Best regards,
Alex

Re: copy test cases or test steps? [message #907252 is a reply to message #907183] Mon, 03 September 2012 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see. So instead of copy and paste, it's extract/reference.
Re: copy test cases or test steps? [message #907946 is a reply to message #907183] Tue, 04 September 2012 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck wrote on Mon, 03 September 2012 09:28
Hi,

These forum entries might help a bit:
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/240093/

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/354259/

I think the extract function is correct if you want to reuse things. There is a way of changing parameters in test steps, the documentation for referencing data is here.

So I extracted a set of test steps that I knew I needed to use more than once. I then parameterized the test data as described in the link. I then added these "generic" test steps to several different test cases in several different Test Suites. This looked like it was working well, until I tried to run the Test Suites. It seems I need to re-map the components in the "generic" extracted test steps each I time I wanted to run the test suite. Is there any solution for this? Is there any way to avoid re-mapping the components each time I need to run a test suite with extracted test steps?

Re: copy test cases or test steps? [message #908338 is a reply to message #907946] Wed, 05 September 2012 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so basically, when I want to run Test Suite A, I need to map the components to Test Suite A. When I run Test Suite B, the components need to be mapped to Test Suite B. When I run Test Suite A again, the components have to be remapped to Test Suite A again.
Re: copy test cases or test steps? [message #908989 is a reply to message #908338] Thu, 06 September 2012 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Each Test Suite is bound to an AUT (configured in the project properties). Each AUT has a separate object map. It sounds like what you actually need is one AUT with multiple configurations (which share an object map, because they are the same AUT). More on AUT definition and configuration is in the documentation under the following:
Defining AUTs

Configuring AUTs

HTH,
Alex
Re: copy test cases or test steps? [message #909486 is a reply to message #908989] Fri, 07 September 2012 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck wrote on Thu, 06 September 2012 07:03

Each Test Suite is bound to an AUT (configured in the project properties). Each AUT has a separate object map. It sounds like what you actually need is one AUT with multiple configurations (which share an object map, because they are the same AUT). More on AUT definition and configuration is in the documentation under the following:
Defining AUTs

Configuring AUTs

Hi,

I couldn't find anything under the links relating to object maps and AUTs.

But even if there was, I'm not sure how that would help me.

I have one AUT. The AUT has like 40 different tabbed panes I have to test.

Each tabbed pane is very similar which is why I would like to define 1 set of tests that I can run with slight variations on all of them.

The tests will run regularly in a regression test harness so all the tests will run at the same time and will run automatically.

I wrote a set of test cases for the first pane. I extracted the test steps to duplicate and referenced the parameters so I could use these same test steps for each pane.

I copied the extracted test steps into new test cases and changed the parameter references for the 2nd tabbed pane. I did the same for the 3rd tabbed pane. I then copied these test cases into a Test Suite. I mapped the objects for the 2nd tabbed pane and tried to run the test suite. The tests for the 2nd tabbed pane ran successfully. But tests for the 3rd tabbed pane failed. The object map was mapped for the 2nd tabbed pane, but not the 3rd tabbed pane. The tests were looking for components of the 2nd tabbed pane on the 3rd tabbed pane and couldn't find them. I mapped the components in the 3rd tabbed pane tests for the 3rd tabbed pane, but now the 2nd tabbed pane tests failed because they couldn't find the 3rd tabbed pane components on the 2nd tabbed pane. The extracted test steps had only 1 object map.

Currently, there seems to be only one object map per test case. It's like I need the option to assign a different object map for each set of test cases, especially extracted test cases when they are used again.

Is there anything like this?

[Updated on: Fri, 07 September 2012 13:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: copy test cases or test steps? [message #910888 is a reply to message #909486] Mon, 10 September 2012 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, now I understand. What you're looking for is the ability to "reassign component names". Basically, you can make it so that one Test Case can test various different components by creating multiple component names which can then be mapped to separate real components. The documentation on it is here.

HTH,
Alex
Re: copy test cases or test steps? [message #911417 is a reply to message #910888] Tue, 11 September 2012 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, that is what I need! It works!! Thank you very much!!
Re: copy test cases or test steps? [message #911420 is a reply to message #910888] Tue, 11 September 2012 15:00 Go to previous message
Yes, that is what I need! It works!! Thank you very much!!
Previous Topic:Testsuite not found by testexec with XML
Next Topic:get Information about locked database items
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:19:24 GMT 2024