Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Hudson » How to prevent Hudson from entering Shutdown mode automatically or when idle?
icon5.gif  How to prevent Hudson from entering Shutdown mode automatically or when idle? [message #905084] Wed, 29 August 2012 16:47 Go to next message
Greg Kraft is currently offline Greg KraftFriend
After several months of successful and unadulterated continuous integration, my Hudson instance decides it wants to enter shutdown mode after every 20-30 minutes of inactivity.

For those of you familiar with shutdown mode, the instance of course doesn't shutdown, but has the undesirable effect (in this case) of stopping new jobs from starting.

I know I haven't changed any settings, so it makes me think the problem was slowly growing and keeps triggering shutdown mode.

I know there is plenty of storage space on the machine with 400+ GB to go so I'm wondering what else would trigger shutdown mode without actually using the Hudson web portal to manually do it.

As mentioned before, the problem also seems to be tied to inactivity. I tried creating a quick fix, which is a build job that does nothing every 5 minutes. It appeared to work at first, but after long periods of inactivity I will find it back in shutdown mode.

Any ideas what might be going on?

[Updated on: Wed, 29 August 2012 16:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to prevent Hudson from entering Shutdown mode automatically or when idle? [message #905129 is a reply to message #905084] Wed, 29 August 2012 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Christou is currently offline Steve ChristouFriend

What version of hudson are you using and what plugins you have installed (maybe one is making a call to shutdown hudson). Also is hudson installed as a windows service or how is it started? Make sure the windows service is set to not shutdown after a certain time. Is this on a node instance? If it there is a default timer where after 30 minutes of being idle it will shut down the node instance.

/**
 * @author Steven Christou
 * @dev    Hudson-ci
 */

[Updated on: Wed, 29 August 2012 18:52]

Re: How to prevent Hudson from entering Shutdown mode automatically or when idle? [message #905162 is a reply to message #905129] Wed, 29 August 2012 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Steve - I am currently running Hudson v2.2.1 on a Mac Mini. Hudson is installed under Tomcat. No new plugins were added around the time when this problem started occurring.
Re: How to prevent Hudson from entering Shutdown mode automatically or when idle? [message #905174 is a reply to message #905162] Wed, 29 August 2012 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Do you see anything in the logs? http://localhost:8080/log/all

/**
 * @dev    Hudson-ci
 */

[Updated on: Wed, 29 August 2012 21:20]

Re: How to prevent Hudson from entering Shutdown mode automatically or when idle? [message #911716 is a reply to message #905084] Wed, 12 September 2012 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, it turned out to be a plugin after all: thinBackup

thinBackup was running every time the Hudson instance went into shutdown mode.

The fact that shutdown mode was occurring at periods of inactivity is also consistent with the behavior of thinBackup.

I then disabled the plug-in and Hudson no longer enters shutdown mode. What's odd is that thinBackup had been installed for some time before this problem starting occurring. I am seeking out a solution from thinBackup to re-enable the plugin without the negative effects and will update here if I get an answer.

Thanks much Steve
Re: How to prevent Hudson from entering Shutdown mode automatically or when idle? [message #911760 is a reply to message #911716] Wed, 12 September 2012 09:15 Go to previous message

According to the documentation for the thinBackup plugin there is actual reason for entering shutdown mode. When a backup is scheduled, the hudson instance will enter something called a "quiet-mode" or the shutdown mode you were seeing. The reason for this is because the plugin wants to perform a backup when there are no jobs being executed. If you are executing several jobs at backup time, there could be a small issue with that where it will try to back up a file that's currently being written to.

/**
 * @dev    Hudson-ci
 */
Previous Topic:Occasional buold failures without error message
Next Topic:"Trigger even if the build is unstable" fails
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 11:45:42 GMT 2024