Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » BIRT usage of Web Services
BIRT usage of Web Services [message #904313] Tue, 28 August 2012 08:16 Go to next message
Anthony Farrell is currently offline Anthony FarrellFriend
Many thanks for any information you can provide Jason Weathersby.

I have a couple of questions with regards to the run time architecture of BIRT, specifically with regards to what calls are made when BIRT reports are run asynchronously via AJAX calls.

The background is that a production system was running slowly, it was found that some Web Service calls were causing threads to hang or to return very slowly (4 hours) to the WebSphere thread pool. The BIRT Viewer is deployed as a separate Web Application on WebSphere, with BIRT reports being integrated into the Main Application via client side aggregation, i.e. the main application embeds BIRT charts via embedded URL calls to the BIRT Viewer application..

For the threads that were running very slowly, the Wepshere log files contain stack traces from BIRT where the "axis" package names appeared with the BIRT stack trace. My assumption was that BIRT uses some axis API's internally to support AJAX or some other purposes, can you confirm that no web service calls are made as part of the run time invocation of a BIRT report.

Have you seen any other production system issues similar to the one we are seeing?

We are also reviewing to see if we can allocate a seperate thread pool to the BIRT viewer appliction on Webpshere, the idea is to seperate any BIRT long running processso that they do not impact the main applicaion (which has strict performance requirements).

Do you know if it is possible to allocate a thread pool to the BIRT Viewer web app (even if it uses web services? or does a web services call complicate he deployment configuration. Apologies for the array of questions.

We have verified that there are no BIRT reports that consume or reference Web Services, we are currently getting a list of the SQL statements that were running on the database at the time to verify that there were/are NO very inefficient blocks of SQL with any BIRT reports.

Re: BIRT usage of Web Services [message #904614 is a reply to message #904313] Tue, 28 August 2012 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend

Anthony

I believe it would be a good idea to open a bugzilla request to help
determine why web service calls were causing threads to hang. BIRT uses
AJAX inside the viewer to call web services on the viewer to run a
report or retrieve a new page when you use page controls etc. If you
are only using charting from the viewer, you could try using the
/preview URL instead of the /run or frameset URL

Jason

On 8/28/2012 4:16 AM, Anthony Farrell wrote:
> Many thanks for any information you can provide Jason Weathersby.
>
> I have a couple of questions with regards to the run time architecture
> of BIRT, specifically with regards to what calls are made when BIRT
> reports are run asynchronously via AJAX calls.
>
>
> The background is that a production system was running slowly, it was
> found that some Web Service calls were causing threads to hang or to
> return very slowly (4 hours) to the WebSphere thread pool. The BIRT
> Viewer is deployed as a separate Web Application on WebSphere, with BIRT
> reports being integrated into the Main Application via client side
> aggregation, i.e. the main application embeds BIRT charts via embedded
> URL calls to the BIRT Viewer application..
>
>
> For the threads that were running very slowly, the Wepshere log files
> contain stack traces from BIRT where the "axis" package names appeared
> with the BIRT stack trace. My assumption was that BIRT uses some axis
> API's internally to support AJAX or some other purposes, can you confirm
> that no web service calls are made as part of the run time invocation of
> a BIRT report.
>
>
>
>
> Have you seen any other production system issues similar to the one we
> are seeing?
> We are also reviewing to see if we can allocate a seperate thread pool
> to the BIRT viewer appliction on Webpshere, the idea is to seperate any
> BIRT long running processso that they do not impact the main applicaion
> (which has strict performance requirements).
> Do you know if it is possible to allocate a thread pool to the BIRT
> Viewer web app (even if it uses web services? or does a web services
> call complicate he deployment configuration. Apologies for the array of
> questions.
>
> We have verified that there are no BIRT reports that consume or
> reference Web Services, we are currently getting a list of the SQL
> statements that were running on the database at the time to verify that
> there were/are NO very inefficient blocks of SQL with any BIRT reports.
>
>
>
Re: BIRT usage of Web Services [message #904870 is a reply to message #904313] Wed, 29 August 2012 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Jason, we are currently using "run", we do not use or require the toolbar, navigation bar and table of contents features that come with the BIRT Viewer.

We simply have a charts embedded in the reports, that are embedded on HTML pages.

One further question, the "preview" mode, as preview mode is synchronous would this cause any part of a HMTL page to fail to load or become slower?
Re: BIRT usage of Web Services [message #904880 is a reply to message #904870] Wed, 29 August 2012 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason, thanks for the information provided so far, I will get the resources on site to raise a bug for investigation with regards to the web services causing threads to hang.
Re: BIRT usage of Web Services [message #905047 is a reply to message #904880] Wed, 29 August 2012 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks, btw run mapping uses very little in the way of the AJAX
framework, but I would try the preview mapping. Have you tried the BIRT
tag libraries as well?

Jason

On 8/29/2012 6:08 AM, Anthony Farrell wrote:
> Jason, thanks for the information provided so far, I will get the
> resources on site to raise a bug for investigation with regards to the
> web services causing threads to hang.
Re: BIRT usage of Web Services [message #907583 is a reply to message #905047] Tue, 04 September 2012 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just for our background information.

Is there any document or picutre that shows the runtime calls with AJAX when using "run" is used (when none of the controls in the viewer are used, no print etc), just build the chart and embed it. I know from looking at this that two calls are made to the viewer a "HTTP get" and a "HTTP put".

thanks.
Re: BIRT usage of Web Services [message #907593 is a reply to message #905047] Tue, 04 September 2012 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Is there any document or picutre that shows the runtime calls with AJAX when using "run" is used (when none of the controls in the viewer are used, no print etc), just build the chart and embed it. I know from looking at this that two calls are made to the viewer a "HTTP get" and a "HTTP put".

thanks.
Re: BIRT usage of Web Services [message #907603 is a reply to message #905047] Tue, 04 September 2012 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

thanks.
Re: BIRT usage of Web Services [message #907611 is a reply to message #905047] Tue, 04 September 2012 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

thanks.
Re: BIRT usage of Web Services [message #907626 is a reply to message #905047] Tue, 04 September 2012 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

thanks.
Re: BIRT usage of Web Services [message #907637 is a reply to message #905047] Tue, 04 September 2012 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

thanks.
Re: BIRT usage of Web Services [message #908034 is a reply to message #907593] Tue, 04 September 2012 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Anthony

Look at this link:
http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/deploy/viewerUsageMain.php

Specifically look at the servlet mappings image. Run uses AJAX to allow
a user to cancel the report. Did you try the preview mapping?

Jason

On 9/4/2012 3:45 AM, Anthony Farrell wrote:
> Just for our background information.
>
> Is there any document or picutre that shows the runtime calls with AJAX
> when using "run" is used (when none of the controls in the viewer are
> used, no print etc), just build the chart and embed it. I know from
> looking at this that two calls are made to the viewer a "HTTP get" and a
> "HTTP put".
>
> thanks.
Re: BIRT usage of Web Services [message #908471 is a reply to message #907637] Wed, 05 September 2012 12:39 Go to previous message
thanks for all your help.
Previous Topic:[chart]Mixing stacked and unstacked bars
Next Topic:DOC export issue with Hyperlinks and Crosstabs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:39:14 GMT 2024