Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BPMN 2.0 Modeler » Custom SequenceFlow
Custom SequenceFlow [message #903189] Wed, 22 August 2012 13:03 Go to next message
Dominik Thalmann is currently offline Dominik ThalmannFriend
Hi,

I am currently building an extension for the BPMN 2.0 Modeler. Right now I am creating my specification. I am using CustomTasks to define new Elements and everthing is fine with that.
The problem I have at the moment is, that it seems there is no way that I can connect a SequenceFlow to another type of SequenceFlow. For example I have a CustomTask with some propertys. This task represents a risk in my specification. Now I connect this risk with another normal task by using a sequenceFlow to express that this risk can occur in the connected task. The SequenceFlow has some propertys. These propertys overwrite some values of the risk, so that the risk can have different effects for each connected task.
Ok, now I have a mitigation Task. This mitigation task I want to connect to the risk. Here I also use a sequenceFlow with some propertys, so that I have one mitigation that connects to multiple risks with different values(the peropertys on the sequenceFlow). So far so fine BUT what I need is the ability to connect a sequenceFlow from the mitigation to one of the outgoing sequenceFlows from a risk. With that I would have only one mitigation and one risk that have both multiple effects on the connected tasks, depending on the propertys of the sequenceFlows.

I hope you understand what I mean and hopefully someone can help me with that.

Greetings
Dominik
Re: Custom SequenceFlow [message #903245 is a reply to message #903189] Wed, 22 August 2012 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Brodt is currently offline Robert BrodtFriend

If I understand this correctly, what you're trying to do is to connect a SequenceFlow to a bendpoint of another SequenceFlow. Something (almost) like this:

http://content.screencast.com/users/rbrodt/folders/Jing/media/055e8f26-002a-4354-839a-ea7f741ab2ab/2012-08-22_1037.png

Unfortunately this is not allowed because the source and target element of a SequenceFlow MUST be a subclass of a FlowNode, whereas here you are trying to set a FlowElement (the base class of SequenceFlow) as the target. Close, but not quite Wink

Can you make do with Associations instead?
Re: Custom SequenceFlow [message #904426 is a reply to message #903245] Tue, 28 August 2012 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pascal Stich is currently offline Pascal StichFriend
Quote:
I am using CustomTasks to define new Elements and everthing is fine with that.

Hi,
I know it isn´t the question of this thread, but I need to create a CustomTask in BPMN-Modeler. I already saw the 'org.eclipse.bpmn2.modeler.runtime.example' but didn´t find a customTask that is added to the palette when I tested it. So can you give me a little example how to implement a CustomTask?

Thanks for your help,
Pascal

PS: I would have written a PM... I don´t know why, but it is deactivated / not possible in this forum!?

[Updated on: Tue, 28 August 2012 12:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Custom SequenceFlow [message #906584 is a reply to message #903189] Sat, 01 September 2012 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Robert,

you got it right. Thats exactly what I had in mind.
What did you mean with "do it with associations"?
Re: Custom SequenceFlow [message #906778 is a reply to message #906584] Sun, 02 September 2012 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Brodt is currently offline Robert BrodtFriend

I don't know which execution engine you are targeting, but if it is BPMN 2.0 spec compliant, then the above will not work with Sequence Flows. You CAN, however attach an Association to a Sequence Flow (as in the image, above). Not sure if that will accomplish what you are trying to do...
Re: Custom SequenceFlow [message #907060 is a reply to message #903189] Mon, 03 September 2012 08:27 Go to previous message
Hmm that sounds good and in the Picture it looks like something I could use for it...
I cant find these associations in the BPMN Modeler though. There is no association-element in the palette.
Would I be able to add Propertys to these associations to store my information? Or can I define a custom-association in my plugin like a custom task? Because I will always need the same fixed Propertys for my needs.

Thanks again for your help Robert!

Greetings Dominik

Edit: Yes the runtime should be BPMN 2.0 spec compliant.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 September 2012 08:27]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Multi Page Editor version of BPMN2 Modeler now available
Next Topic:Edit propertys in a menu triggered by SequecneFlow
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:05:39 GMT 2024