Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Requirements Modeling Framework  » ProR support for Specifications Relation Groups(ProR support for Specifications Relation Groups)
ProR support for Specifications Relation Groups [message #902033] Wed, 15 August 2012 15:08 Go to next message
Kivanc Bas is currently offline Kivanc BasFriend
Hi,
I have just started using ProR to get familiar with the ReqIF standard.
Everything went smoothly from installation to getting sample examples working.
But when I get to a point where I want to define a Spec Type of Relation Group, I stumble on an error which I could not resolve.
I did lots of search and read some papers but could not find out if this is an actual bug or a work in progress.

All I want to have is to show Spec Relation Groups as I can do Spec Relations.
This is the bug I receive. ( The reproduction steps is below)

"An error has occurred. See error log for more details.
org.eclipse.rmf.reqif10.impl.RelationGroupImpl cannot be cast to org.eclipse.rmf.reqif10.SpecElementWithAttributes"

* Create a reqif template
* From Menu select T icon to define Relation Group
* Define Relation Group and hit finish
* In Outline window double click on SpecRelationGroups.
=> The error window pops up with the message given above.

If I delete the Relation Group everything is back to normal. But I cannot see the source and target specs as I see source and target spec-objects.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Re: ProR support for Specifications Relation Groups [message #902039 is a reply to message #902033] Wed, 15 August 2012 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see now there is a bug report .
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=377229
Re: ProR support for Specifications Relation Groups [message #902206 is a reply to message #902039] Thu, 16 August 2012 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Jastram is currently offline Michael JastramFriend
Hi Kivanc,

Yup, this is a known issue, and it's difficult to fix, as it is actually an issue with the ReqIF schema. Fixing this the "right" way would break schema conformance, and we're still looking for a way to handle this graceful in the UI.

Just curious: What do you use Relation Groups for? Is it for DOORS-compatibility, or is there another reason to use them?

Best,

- Michael
Re: ProR support for Specifications Relation Groups [message #902231 is a reply to message #902206] Thu, 16 August 2012 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Micheal,
Thanks for the reply. My goal is to understand the ReqIF capabilities to represent complex specifications and requirement relationships.
I've figured it out how to represent Requirement to Requirement hierarchy, but could not figure out how to represent Spec to Spec hierarchy. Based on my understanding Relation groups is the way to go for this.
The sample XML I have generated based on xsd shows the following structure.

<REQIF:SPEC-RELATION-GROUPS>
<REQIF:RELATION-GROUP DESC="" IDENTIFIER="idvalue6" LAST-CHANGE="2001-12-31T12:00:00" LONG-NAME="">
<REQIF:SOURCE-SPECIFICATION>
<REQIF:SPECIFICATION-REF>REQIF:SPECIFICATION-REF</REQIF:SPECIFICATION-REF>
</REQIF:SOURCE-SPECIFICATION>
<REQIF:TARGET-SPECIFICATION>
<REQIF:SPECIFICATION-REF>REQIF:SPECIFICATION-REF</REQIF:SPECIFICATION-REF>
</REQIF:TARGET-SPECIFICATION>

<REQIF:TYPE>
<REQIF:RELATION-GROUP-TYPE-REF>REQIF:RELATION-GROUP-TYPE-REF</REQIF:RELATION-GROUP-TYPE-REF>
</REQIF:TYPE>
</REQIF:RELATION-GROUP>
</REQIF:SPEC-RELATION-GROUPS>

Is this the way of representing the spec to spec relationship?

Thanks
Kivanc
Re: ProR support for Specifications Relation Groups [message #902438 is a reply to message #902231] Fri, 17 August 2012 15:04 Go to previous message
Michael Jastram is currently offline Michael JastramFriend
Hi Kivanc,

Okay, I see what you're trying to do here. You're right, the SpecRelationsGroup is the only way to create a spec-to-spec link.

The underlying problem is a bug in the ReqIF schema, where the inheritance from SpecElement was accidentally omitted. This propagates through the UI, where a casting to SpecElement fails, even though it should be permitted according to the ReqIF spec (but not according to the ReqIF schema). If we allow this, the result will be invalid ReqIF (at least with respect to version 1.0.1).

Can you live without this for now, or is it crucial? I would prefer to leave this alone for now, but I understand that this is not a very satisfying answer.

Best,

- Michael
Previous Topic:Why is Formal Requirements Tool is Needed?
Next Topic:Wrong Post Deleted By Owner
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:17:14 GMT 2024