Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » Trident the only option?(Please refresh my memory...)
Trident the only option? [message #901893] Tue, 14 August 2012 22:11 Go to next message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend
Is Trident the only render engine supported right now? I tried both WebKit and XULRunner and the IDE would not start with either of them selected. If they are supposed to work I will post the error detail here. Please let me know...

Thanks,

Dan

OKAY, HOLD THE PHONE: I found some stuff in the documentation about extra manual steps required to use either WebKit or XULRunner. Let me try those steps and see what happens. (grumble, grumble... *need a warning on the preferences page* ... grumble, grumble)

[Updated on: Tue, 14 August 2012 22:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Trident the only option? [message #901897 is a reply to message #901893] Tue, 14 August 2012 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No luck at all with WebKit.

Eclipse 3.7
EDT 0.8.1
Windows XP 32-bit
Safari 5.1.7

Error:
Internal Error
No more handles [Safari must be installed to use a SWT.WEBKIT-style Browser]

I tried following the special instructions to "include the Safari installation directory in the PATH variable".

Anything else I can try?

--Dan
Re: Trident the only option? [message #901900 is a reply to message #901893] Tue, 14 August 2012 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
XULRunner worked when I followed the instructions to edit the eclipse.ini and put this at the last of the -vmargs:

-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=c:\xulrunner

(After downloading and installing the XULRunner 3.6.x package, natch.)

--Dan
Re: Trident the only option? [message #901914 is a reply to message #901900] Wed, 15 August 2012 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob NIcholson is currently offline Bob NIcholsonFriend
Hi, Dan

Where did you find the instructions for this. I'm having the same problems.

Thanks

Bob
Re: Trident the only option? [message #902001 is a reply to message #901914] Wed, 15 August 2012 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Svihovec is currently offline Brian SvihovecFriend
Dan and Bob,

The team has spent countless hours deriving the list of supported browser configurations for EDT. The list of supported browsers, and how to configure them, can be found here - wiki.eclipse.org/EDT:Supported_Platforms

-Brian
Re: Trident the only option? [message #902042 is a reply to message #902001] Wed, 15 August 2012 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Brian. I'll take a look at that.

Bob
Re: Trident the only option? [message #902043 is a reply to message #901914] Wed, 15 August 2012 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob,

From the Help in the IDE:
EGL Development Tools (EDT) > Working with the EDT IDE > Setting EDT preferences > Setting EGL preferences for Rich UI

But the instructions there for WebKit don't work. I'm going to try WebKit again using the information that Brian provided.

-Dan
Re: Trident the only option? [message #902044 is a reply to message #902001] Wed, 15 August 2012 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Brian. I'll try WebKit again using the information you provided.

--Dan
Re: Trident the only option? [message #902257 is a reply to message #902044] Thu, 16 August 2012 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Margolis is currently offline Ben MargolisFriend
As of the next overnight build, the help topic will refer to the web-page section instead of including details that are evanescent. My apologies.
Re: Trident the only option? [message #902263 is a reply to message #902257] Thu, 16 August 2012 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Ben. I think the Help was spot-on where XULRunner is concerned but the steps for WebKit are better explained on the web. Since this does seem to be a pretty fluid topic (with considerations changing with each Eclipse variant) the web page reference is great idea.

--Dan
Re: Trident the only option? [message #902294 is a reply to message #902263] Thu, 16 August 2012 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see now that Justin also wrote a blog entry about this back on August 2(which I somehow overlooked):

[http://xeglblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/browser-rendering-engines.html]

--Dan
Re: Trident the only option? [message #902519 is a reply to message #902294] Sat, 18 August 2012 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The expertise required to set this up seems to be beyond my knowledge base. Would it be possible to get some clearer instructions on getting it to work with my configuration. Below is what I think one would need to know. However, I'm not sure.

Eclipse IDE 3.7.2
JRE JRE 6
O/S Windows 7
External Browser Safari 5.1.7 Also Have Firefox and IE.

Thanks

Bob
Re: Trident the only option? [message #902832 is a reply to message #902519] Mon, 20 August 2012 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Bob,

Are you wanting to use the WebKit option or XULRunner?

Also, 32-bit OS or 64-bit?

--Dan
Re: Trident the only option? [message #902900 is a reply to message #902832] Tue, 21 August 2012 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, Dan

I'm running a 64 bit laptop.
using 32 bit EDT

I'm not sure which option is the one I should be using (Webkit or XULRunner).

Thanks
Re: Trident the only option? [message #903104 is a reply to message #902900] Wed, 22 August 2012 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Bob.

What's driving you to change rendering engines? Are you wanting to use the mobile widgets or is there another driver for you?

If you are wanting to use the mobile widgets then I think the following blog post is where you want to start:

http://xeglblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/developing-mobile-applications-with-egl.html

In my case, I wanted to do some development work using the canvas support in HTML5 so either WebKit or XULRunner is called for (canvas is not supported in IE until IE 9).

--Dan
Re: Trident the only option? [message #903107 is a reply to message #903104] Wed, 22 August 2012 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, Dan

Thanks for the response.

Based on your response, I think I'm just confused. I would like to use the simplest, most straight forward method to try developing a test mobile app just to see how to do it. In my readings, I got the impression that I had to download Safari plus other things in order to do this. Since I'm still a novice at this, I may be just confused and need a helping hand to get out of my muck and back on the right track.

What do you suggest? Thanks.

Bob

Thanks
Re: Trident the only option? [message #903272 is a reply to message #903107] Wed, 22 August 2012 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is astonishingly complicated. I can't fault the EDT team though because they are just making use of what is supported by Eclipse. Without heavily customizing Eclipse itself I think they are pretty well stuck too.

Okay, so your goal is to try the mobile widgets ... that's good to know. The "setting up for mobile" part of that blog post is what you should follow:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/EDT:SettingUpForMobile

I haven't tried it myself (as I say, my interest was in HTML5 and all I needed was XULRunner for canvas support). I'm going to try the mobile widgets now just for grins (which it appears does require Safari and a WebKit configuration).

I will follow up with my relative success or failure at this endeavor.

--Dan

[Updated on: Wed, 22 August 2012 19:22]

Re: Trident the only option? [message #903279 is a reply to message #903272] Wed, 22 August 2012 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, it's working.

Here's what I am running:

Windows XP 32-bit
Safari 5.1.7
EDT 0.8.1 (all-in-one install including Eclipse 3.7.2)

I followed these steps to configure for WebKit:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/EDT:SettingUpForMobile

Since I was already using XULRunner I had to undo changes made previously to the eclipse.ini file. If you weren't already set up for XULRunner, make no changes to eclipse.ini.

I added "C:\Program Files\Safari\Apple Application Support" to my Windows PATH environment variable. (This path is correct for XP but different on Windows 7 and probably Vista.)

I started EDT and went to Window->Preferences and then EGL->Rich UI->Appearance and set the render engine to WebKit.

I shut down and then re-opened EDT.

I imported the Dojo Mobile samples project from here:

http://www.eclipse.org/edt/#doc

The samples all seem to be working.

Give it another shot and see what happens for you!

--Dan

[Updated on: Wed, 22 August 2012 19:48]

Re: Trident the only option? [message #907479 is a reply to message #903279] Tue, 04 September 2012 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smyle H is currently offline Smyle HFriend
Hi all,

I share my experience here.

If you keep receiving below error:
"Error:
Internal Error
No more handles [Safari must be installed to use a SWT.WEBKIT-style Browser]
".

It is probably that xulrunner's settings has conflicts with webkit's settings.

Sometimes other eclipse based IDEs would set some global values to ensure SWT properly initialize a firefox browser during its installation, while it crashes webkit initialization. This is very annoying. To override the global settings, it might work if you add below configurations to EDT's eclipse.ini file and then restart it.
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.DefaultType=webkit
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=D:\ //!important: specify a wrong directory to force SWT not use XULRunner which crashes webkit initialization

To reuse firefox as the rendering engine, just remove these two statements.

Besides, if you have ever manually installed XULRunner, navigate to the directory where XULRunner installed, and run below commands to uninstall it in the console, since it also crashes Webkit's initialization in eclipse.
xulrunner.exe --unregister-global

[Updated on: Tue, 04 September 2012 04:50]

Re: Trident the only option? [message #908317 is a reply to message #907479] Wed, 05 September 2012 06:39 Go to previous message
Trond Einar Nilsen is currently offline Trond Einar NilsenFriend
Hi
Yesterday I got this error "No more handles [Safari must be installed to use a SWT.WEBKIT-style Browser]" as mentioned by Smyle in previous post when running 8.1 32 bit and I tried the instructions from Smyle. This was not successful for me. The problem started after updating to Java 7.7, 32 bit (It was a recomandation even though I am running a 64 bit machine). After uninstalling Java 7.7 32 bit, keeping Java 7.7 64 bit, all seems to be working as normal again.
Rgds Trond
Previous Topic:Disabling DojoButtons
Next Topic:Fun with EDT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:07:30 GMT 2024