Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Progress bar of progress group disappears(The progress bar of progress group disappears in the progress view)
Progress bar of progress group disappears [message #901440] Sun, 12 August 2012 11:52 Go to next message
Benjamin Leipold is currently offline Benjamin LeipoldFriend
Hi,

I would like to have the progress of multiple jobs reported in one entry in the progress view. A progress group seems to be perfect to achieve this but unfortunately the entry usually disappears from the progress view after the first job has finished. I have attached an plug-in project that shoule make this issue clear. Just click on the execute button. A progress group with ten entries is shown up in the progress view but in general will disappear after the first job has finished.

So, my question: Did I get something wrong with progress groups? If so, please tell me about the birds and the bees. Otherwise, some peace of code in DetailedProgressViewer.remove(Object[]) might be the root of all evil:

1: Widget item = doFindItem(treeElement);
 2: if (item == null) {
 3:   // Is the parent showing?
 4:   Object parent = treeElement.getParent();
 5:   if (parent != null)
 6:     item = doFindItem(parent);
 7:   }
 8:   if (item != null) {
 9:     unmapElement(elements[i]);
10:     item.dispose();
11:   }
12: }

If a job has finished (in this case treeElement is of type JobInfo) the statement in line 2 holds and in line 8 item will not be null. Thus, item is removed from the viewer nevertheless there are other jobs belonging to the same group and have not finished.

Thanks for any kind of help.
Re: Progress bar of progress group disappears [message #1062761 is a reply to message #901440] Mon, 10 June 2013 16:06 Go to previous message
Olivier Labrosse is currently offline Olivier LabrosseFriend
I'm noticing the same issue, although in my case the progress group reappears from time to time.

My use case is that of a job wrapping a bunch of jobs. The second job in the queue takes a long time and spawns hundreds of smaller jobs itself, joining them as a way to track their progress. When that second job is running, the Progress View goes a bit crazy and the "super job / progress group" ends up disappearing and reappearing a few times, most of the time disappearing for quite a while.

I really wish it would stay put, as it is important for my users to know how many of those hundreds of jobs have finished.

Edit: note that I'm setting the second job as a system one so it doesn't show up, since I want the super-job reporting its progress in its stead.

Edit #2: also note that I'm setting the super-job's "keep" property to true, which according to the code in DetailedProgressViewer#remove(Object[]) should mean that the respective element doesn't get disposed.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 June 2013 18:52]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Headless Build Error Log File
Next Topic:ClassNotFound exception
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 15:39:32 GMT 2024