Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Tab placement always remove most used window
Tab placement always remove most used window [message #900285] Mon, 06 August 2012 11:14 Go to next message
jasper floor is currently offline jasper floorFriend
Whenever I open a new file or even just switch to an open file which doesn't fit in the tabs Eclipse always removes the tab I was coming from. This means that the least used tabs (apart from the active) tab are always visible. This is very annoying behavior as I tend to switch between several tabs. Now I have to keep selecting it from a list or else close all files I don't want displayed until all open files fit into the tab bar. I don't know if I can control this behavior but I haven't been able to find anything this issue with a quick search. Anyone else seen this behavior?
Re: Tab placement always remove most used window [message #900291 is a reply to message #900285] Mon, 06 August 2012 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Hi,

What is you describe is MRU-Tabs. This is controlled by CSS as outlined
in https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=344029. The 3.x theme
should have it on by default.

Tom

Am 06.08.12 13:14, schrieb jasper floor:
> Whenever I open a new file or even just switch to an open file which
> doesn't fit in the tabs Eclipse always removes the tab I was coming
> from. This means that the least used tabs (apart from the active) tab
> are always visible. This is very annoying behavior as I tend to switch
> between several tabs. Now I have to keep selecting it from a list or
> else close all files I don't want displayed until all open files fit
> into the tab bar. I don't know if I can control this behavior but I
> haven't been able to find anything this issue with a quick search.
> Anyone else seen this behavior?
Re: Tab placement always remove most used window [message #900534 is a reply to message #900291] Tue, 07 August 2012 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jasper floor is currently offline jasper floorFriend
Thank you for your reply. I guess that solves that issue sort of. Reading the ticket however reminded me that the list of open files is also not as functional as used to be. This was the important one however.
Re: Tab placement always remove most used window [message #989571 is a reply to message #900291] Thu, 06 December 2012 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sheldon Glickler is currently offline Sheldon GlicklerFriend
I have Eclipse 4.2 and have the same annoying problem. I tried the link you provided but got the message that this was not a valid bug number.
Re: Tab placement always remove most used window [message #990630 is a reply to message #989571] Thu, 13 December 2012 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
remove the dot at the end...
Re: Tab placement always remove most used window [message #990654 is a reply to message #990630] Thu, 13 December 2012 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I looked at that one now. That one seems to be only about the drop-down list from the chevron. I am more interested in the open windows. Also, the previous version's dropdown list was actually two lists. The first was the windows not showing in tabs and the next was the list showing in tabs and that one was bolded. Both were in alphabetical order. I liked that list also better than the current one.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 December 2012 15:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Tab placement always remove most used window [message #991318 is a reply to message #990654] Tue, 18 December 2012 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone have an answer for me? Confused
Re: Tab placement always remove most used window [message #991325 is a reply to message #991318] Tue, 18 December 2012 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you talking about "mru" = "Most recent used" which is by default
only turned on on the classic theme and not the new L&F.

Tom

Am 18.12.12 15:15, schrieb Sheldon Glickler:
> Does anyone have an answer for me? :?
Re: Tab placement always remove most used window [message #991329 is a reply to message #991325] Tue, 18 December 2012 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow. Thanks, Was that all there was to it? I turned it to Classic and it behaves properly. Is Windows Classic the same thing?

Also, the old way had two lists when you clicked the Chevron at the upper right (if there were more tabs than were visible). The first list was alphabetical and not bolded and was the list of tabs not showing. The second list was also alphabetical, bolded, and showed the list of tabs that were visible on the screen. The current version only has one, alphabetized, not bolded, list. Can I get the previous behavior?

[Updated on: Tue, 18 December 2012 14:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Tab placement always remove most used window [message #991335 is a reply to message #991329] Tue, 18 December 2012 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IIRC this is a bug.

Tom

Am 18.12.12 15:36, schrieb Sheldon Glickler:
> Wow. Thanks, Was that all there was to it? I turned it to Classic and
> it behaves properly. Is Windows Classic the same thing?
>
> Also, the old way had two lists when you clicked the Chevron at the
> upper right (if there were more tabs than were visible). The first list
> was alphabetical and not bolded and was the list of tabs not showing.
> The second list was also alphabetical, bolded, and show the list of tabs
> that were visible on the screen. The current version only has one,
> alphabetized, not bolded, list. Can I get the previous behavior?
Re: Tab placement always remove most used window [message #991341 is a reply to message #991335] Tue, 18 December 2012 15:12 Go to previous message
Can you be a little more expansive? I couldn't even find Formatting Tools.
Previous Topic:GridTreeViewer: selection changed listener and viewer.setSelection
Next Topic:Parts nested within of a SWT Widget?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:55:34 GMT 2024