Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Eclipse vs make: which takes longer to "do nothing"?
Eclipse vs make: which takes longer to "do nothing"? [message #899895] Thu, 02 August 2012 17:53 Go to next message
Chris Stankevitz is currently offline Chris StankevitzFriend
Hi,

I used 64 bit linux, cmake 2.8.7 to create a complex Juno CPP project. The project takes about 4 minutes to build from scratch. After it is built I might attempt to rebuild it. The following question is about "rebuilding" a project that is already built. Ideally this will take 0.0 seconds as nothing needs to be done.

From an xterm I cd to the build directory and type "/usr/bin/gmake -j4". This takes 0.8 seconds.

From eclipse I select the "all" make target and build that. This uses 4 processors also, and according to the make target, issues the identical command "/usr/bin/gmake -j4". However, it takes 3 seconds.

Q1: Why does it take longer to "not build" in eclipse than it takes to "not build" from an xterm?
a) eclipse dumps output to a "Console View" which is very slow
b) eclipse parses the output, which is very slow
c) [your idea here]

Q2: Eclipse supposedly is using the command "/usr/bin/gmake -j4" to perform the build. Why when I type this command in an xterm, I do not see the same output as Eclipse shows in the "Console View"?
a) Eclipse does not use the listed "build command" to perform the build. It uses a bunch of secret stuff.
b) [your idea here]

xterm:
BuildDebug $ /usr/bin/gmake -j4
[  1%] Built target VidtraccUtility
[  2%] Built target SimlibThread
[ 92%] Built target VIDTRACC
[100%] Built target Stabilizer
BuildDebug $ 

eclipse
10:49:55 **** Build of project uavlib@BuildDebug ****
/usr/bin/gmake -j4 all 
/usr/bin/cmake -H/home/cstankevitz/Work/2012-06-01_uavlib/uavlib -B/home/cstankevitz/Work/2012-06-01_uavlib/BuildDebug --check-build-system CMakeFiles/Makefile.cmake 0
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_start /home/cstankevitz/Work/2012-06-01_uavlib/BuildDebug/CMakeFiles /home/cstankevitz/Work/2012-06-01_uavlib/BuildDebug/CMakeFiles/progress.marks
/usr/bin/gmake -f CMakeFiles/Makefile2 all
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/home/cstankevitz/Work/2012-06-01_uavlib/BuildDebug'
[ 98%] Built target Stabilizer
[100%] Built target VIDTRACC
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/cstankevitz/Work/2012-06-01_uavlib/BuildDebug'
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_start /home/cstankevitz/Work/2012-06-01_uavlib/BuildDebug/CMakeFiles 0

10:49:58 Build Finished (took 2s.930ms)
Re: Eclipse vs make: which takes longer to "do nothing"? [message #900488 is a reply to message #899895] Tue, 07 August 2012 09:39 Go to previous message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Quote:
a) eclipse dumps output to a "Console View" which is very slow
b) eclipse parses the output, which is very slow

Yes, both are slow (but you get a list of errors/warnings!)
c) [your idea here]
Because Eclipse does not know which binaries were changed/created during the external build it has to scan the entire workspace. You can limit the search scope in Project Properties->C/C++ General_>Paths and Symbols->Output location

Quote:
Q2: Eclipse supposedly is using the command "/usr/bin/gmake -j4" to perform the build. Why when I type this command in an xterm, I do not see the same output as Eclipse shows in the "Console View"?
a) Eclipse does not use the listed "build command" to perform the build. It uses a bunch of secret stuff.

Eclipse does exactly what you tell it! For me it seems that you called make in different directories. Therefore different Makefiles are actually build!

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Previous Topic:Which GNU tools are bundled with CDT?
Next Topic:Compiling updated code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 19:34:22 GMT 2024