Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Compiling updated code(How to create target execute program without clicking on Run)
Compiling updated code [message #899559] Wed, 01 August 2012 12:35 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Can someone tell me how to create an update of the application you're working on without clicking on Run from the CDT environment?

After making minor changes to my code, I'd like to just build it, then run it from a different environment, not from the IDE. However, I can't find an option to create the execute program.

I used all the make options I can find from the IDE. The execute program is only updated after I run it from the IDE.

Thanks in advance for any input on this!

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames
Re: Compiling updated code [message #899906 is a reply to message #899559] Thu, 02 August 2012 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Stankevitz is currently offline Chris StankevitzFriend
open the "make target" view and double-click the entry corresponding to the target you want to build. You could also use CTRL-B, but that will build all targets in all projects.

I wish there were a shortcut key for this like CTRL-F7 and F7 in MSVC

Chris
Re: Compiling updated code [message #900487 is a reply to message #899906] Tue, 07 August 2012 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Chris Stankevitz wrote on Thu, 02 August 2012 20:55
open the "make target" view and double-click the entry corresponding to the target you want to build. You could also use CTRL-B, but that will build all targets in all projects.

Chris

There is the shortcut F9 to rebuild the latest make target. Shift-F9 will open the build make target dialog for folder of the currently select file/editor.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Compiling updated code [message #900522 is a reply to message #899906] Tue, 07 August 2012 11:38 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Chris Stankevitz wrote on Thu, 02 August 2012 14:55

Chris

Thanks, Chris. Sorry for taking so long in getting back, but I had problems finding the thread. I thought I had "CDT" and "Run" in the subject title. I had included those terms in my search for the thread. I found the thread when I got a new reply, but hadn't given up in looking for the thread.

Anyway, I must say that I can't duplicate the problem I was having. At present when I click on the "Make All" (the hammer icon) option, my execute program gets updated.

Before it wasn't. I had continued playing around with configurations after reading your message.

It didn't immediately resolve my problem, but I gained confident that it was possible after ready your reply.

Some of the changes I made was click configure the build option to autosave all files (Window -> Preference -> General -> Workspace -> Save automatically before build).

The save was happening when I clicked on Run, but not when I clicked on Build. So I believe that was my culprit.

Thanks a bunch!

Axel Mueller wrote on Tue, 07 August 2012 05:33

There is the shortcut F9 to rebuild the latest make target. Shift-F9 will open the build make target dialog for folder of the currently select file/editor.

Thanks for the input and short cut, Avel. I had played with this for a week trying to get my execute file before posting my message. Now as I mentioned to Chris, I can't duplicate the problem. I even tried to backtrack my steps and remove the changes I made. The target still gets created when I click on the Build icon.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames
Previous Topic:Eclipse vs make: which takes longer to "do nothing"?
Next Topic:How to incorporate bash build scripts to an Eclipse project?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:00:27 GMT 2024