Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » How to switch to Design View
How to switch to Design View [message #898978] Sun, 29 July 2012 23:18 Go to next message
Thomas IIIII is currently offline Thomas IIIIIFriend
I'm new to developing in Java, and using Eclipse Juno having just installed it this week. Eclipse runs from a folder on my Win 7 desktop. I've installed WindowBuilder via the Help Menu. Help > Install New Software; searched for WindowBuilder; selected the 4 to 5 related WindowBuilder packages and installed them.

After the installation I did not see a WindowBuilder BUTTON, for me to use to open and begin creating in a WYSIWYG interface... so I began by creating a project, which led to a Design Tab being visible.

I am now unable to open WindowBuilder or to reopen the project that I created.

My Windows user is called Instance, and my Eclipse workspace is the default of:
C:\Users\Instance\workspace

My Java project is at:
C:\Users\Instance\workspace\Temp_TBI

At that time that I had the Eclipse application open I was able to select the Design Tab ... and open the WindowBuilder designer with the widgets. Then at the end of the day, I closed the Eclipse application to SEE how I was going to open the application the following day to work on it, and for the life of me I am unable to open WindowBuilder or locate the Design Tab. To the best of my knowledge I have followed all of the instructions that I can find regarding this issue and am unable to get the Designer to reopen.

There should be a button at the top of the application that allows you to toggle between "Design View," "Source View," and "Structure View."

Any clue as to how to get back to WindowBuilder from where I am at? I have a project, and can "compile the java application" and run it to see the application created in the WindowBuilder but am unable to open the WYSIWYG Design interface again.

Thanks!
Thomas
Re: How to switch to Design View [message #898979 is a reply to message #898978] Mon, 30 July 2012 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
Did you try opening your Java file with the WindowBuilder Editor? WindowBuilder is just an editor like any other Eclipse editor. There is no special button to push (that is not how Eclipse typically works); you just open your file with the WindowBuilder Editor rather than the standard Java Editor.

Have you reviewed the WindowBuilder docs (which explain how to use the tool)? The docs can be installed from the WindowBuilder update site at Eclipse.org and viewed within the Eclipse help system, or you can read them on-line in multiple places (hint: Google "WindowBuilder docs").
Re: How to switch to Design View [message #898981 is a reply to message #898979] Mon, 30 July 2012 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was unable to get to the WindowBuilder Editor open after closing it the first time. I never saw the WYSIWYG "widgets" view after closing Eclipse.

I decided to delete the Eclipse application, redownload it and WindowBuilder. I deleted everything and am starting over.

I am reading the documentation at:
http://www.eclipse.org/windowbuilder/documentation.php

What would make sense would be a drop down that allows you to chose WindowBuilder from the Eclipse interface since WindowBuilder is a plugin.

Thanks!
Thomas
Re: How to switch to Design View [message #898983 is a reply to message #898981] Mon, 30 July 2012 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
What is wrong with the existing "Open With" command (which is standard Eclipse command for opening different editors)?
Re: How to switch to Design View [message #898989 is a reply to message #898983] Mon, 30 July 2012 04:06 Go to previous message
After reinstallation, and creating a few Projects, I found the menu item, "Open With"

To be honest with you I did not know that the right click with the mouse was supposed to be within Eclipse, under Project Explorer, on a Java file. (That is what worked for me.) That may have to be made clearer. There are several ways to open Project Explorer, but I did not know what I was looking for in the first case. When I searched in the Help info, all that I saw was to use "Open With" but I did not know where because Project Explorer had been closed and I did not know how to reopen it.

I hope that I am able to contribute to some open source project in a meaningful way. Right now I am looking at a few projects.

Problem solved. I appreciate everyone taking a look at the issue and helping me out.

Thanks,
Thomas
Previous Topic:Test/Preview Different Then Java Application
Next Topic:add child in parent constructor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:42:27 GMT 2024