Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » recover lost work "resource is out of sync with the file system eclipse"
recover lost work "resource is out of sync with the file system eclipse" [message #898394] Thu, 26 July 2012 10:21 Go to next message
rubo77 Missing name is currently offline rubo77 Missing nameFriend
i have a problem:

i worked all day on my file and then by accident i overwrote it outside of eclipse

now there is only this message:
"resource is out of sync with the file system eclipse"

and i can't get back my work how it was before it was overwritten outside.

i have no svn nor git repo.

but the code must still be somewhere inside, otherwise eclipse couldnt find out, that it is out of sync

how can i get my code back?

please help
Re: recover lost work "resource is out of sync with the file system eclipse" [message #898404 is a reply to message #898394] Thu, 26 July 2012 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rubo77 Missing name is currently offline rubo77 Missing nameFriend
i found out myself:

if you click on the file in the folder tree and choose "Compare with"-> "local history"

there you find the file before it was overwritten

saved a lot of work. Phuuuuh!!!
Re: recover lost work "resource is out of sync with the file system eclipse" [message #898420 is a reply to message #898404] Thu, 26 July 2012 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shyam Prakash is currently offline Shyam PrakashFriend
Use local history, "Compare With - Local History" or "Replace With - Local History"

~Shyam
Re: recover lost work "resource is out of sync with the file system eclipse" [message #972942 is a reply to message #898420] Tue, 06 November 2012 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drake Christensen is currently offline Drake ChristensenFriend
This just started for me.

This is a toy Android project that I've been playing with. (I'm surprised to see that it has been a year since I last looked at it. Doesn't feel like that long.) Last time I messed with it everything worked fine.

I've tried refreshing the project. The error message says that the error is with default.properties, and I've tried refreshing that file. I've set the auto-refresh flag. I've tried "Compare with" and it says there is no local history to compare with. (Looks like it would have aged off when I fired it up.) I've tried shutting down and restarting Eclipse a couple of times. I've tried altering the project from within Eclipse and I can see that the file in question is altered.

I don't think I've touched anything at all in my Eclipse workspace directory. The only thing that I can think of that even looked in there are a couple of backup programs that I've tried out. But, the only thing either of them should change is the archive bit.

I've been searching around and the only two fixes I've come across are to refresh and compare to local files. Is there something else that can trigger this message? Is there some other way to clear it?

Eclipse IDE for Java Developers

Version: Helios Service Release 1
Build id: 20100917-0705

Thanks,
Drake

[Updated on: Tue, 06 November 2012 01:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: recover lost work "resource is out of sync with the file system eclipse" [message #973681 is a reply to message #972942] Tue, 06 November 2012 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
If all you need is to get rid of the Resource is out of Sync messages, you should perform a refresh on the project.
Re: recover lost work "resource is out of sync with the file system eclipse" [message #974187 is a reply to message #973681] Tue, 06 November 2012 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's what I keep reading. But I've tried that many times. I've highlighted the project and tapped F5. I've right-clicked and chosen refresh. (I just did both of those again before typing this up.) I've done both of those with the default.properties file. I saw one message somewhere that said click on a blank spot in the list and refresh. And, I've turned on auto-refresh. I've tried doing a clean in order to force a rebuild. I've restarted Eclipse.

About the only thing I can think of that I haven't done is reboot the computer. I'll go ahead and do that after posting this message.

Has anyone seen this behavior? Any other suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

Drake
Re: recover lost work "resource is out of sync with the file system eclipse" [message #974192 is a reply to message #974187] Tue, 06 November 2012 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One thing I just tried was to go ahead and change default.properties in Notepad and save it, in order to give Eclipse an actual file out of sync situation. The auto-refresh kicked in. It asked if I wanted to incorporate the changes. It went and rebuilt the project while I watched. But it still says out of sync when I try to run it.

FYI, even though the error message mentions default.properties, there is no red x on that file. The red x is only on the root of the project tree.

Drake
Re: recover lost work "resource is out of sync with the file system eclipse" [message #974461 is a reply to message #974192] Wed, 07 November 2012 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On 11/06/2012 05:13 PM, Drake Christensen wrote:
> One thing I just tried was to go ahead and change default.properties in
> Notepad and save it, in order to give Eclipse an actual file out of sync
> situation. The auto-refresh kicked in. It asked if I wanted to
> incorporate the changes. It went and rebuilt the project while I
> watched. But it still says out of sync when I try to run it.
>
> FYI, even though the error message mentions default.properties, there is
> no red x on that file. The red x is only on the root of the project tree.
>
> Drake
Are you saying that the out of sync message is showing up as an error
and marking the project with a red x?

That doesn't sound like a normal Eclipse out of sync condition.

Also, what is a default.properties file? That is also not a normal
Eclipse file.

Have you installed some other plugin from a third party? If so, then
that may be giving the error. Check with the third party provider.
Re: recover lost work "resource is out of sync with the file system eclipse" [message #974620 is a reply to message #974461] Wed, 07 November 2012 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I rebooted the computer. The behavior has changed a little.

Quote:
Are you saying that the out of sync message is showing up as an error and marking the project with a red x?

Originally, in the error log was a line that complained of the out-of-sync error and listed default.properties. After the reboot the error no longer shows up.

Quote:
Also, what is a default.properties file? That is also not a normal Eclipse file.

default.properties is generated by the Android plug-in. I was hoping that if that plug-in was causing the problem that it would be well-known enough that someone here might recognize what's going on and know of a fix.

Now, it no longer shows any actual errors in the error log. The red x is still showing on the root of the project.

When I hover over the Run or Debug button, the tooltip says "Run (already running)"

When I click on either button I get a dialog that says, "Your project contains error(s), please fix them before running your application." But I can't find anything that tells me what the actual error is that it's complaining about.

Drake
Re: recover lost work "resource is out of sync with the file system eclipse" [message #975031 is a reply to message #974620] Wed, 07 November 2012 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It might be well known to Android developers, but this is an Eclipse forum and as such doesn't provide Android support. Android should have its own support forums.

The Problems view is where well behaved plugins are supposed to put project errors. Check there to see if it gives you any clue. If you don't find anything there, then your best bet is to post a question in an Android support forum.
Re: recover lost work "resource is out of sync with the file system eclipse" [message #975574 is a reply to message #975031] Thu, 08 November 2012 00:31 Go to previous message
I understand. The reason I ended up here is because I saw that sync message in the error log and nothing I was doing was making it go away.

Thank you for the pointer to the Problems View. I was not aware of it. That told me that the debug certificate had expired. I quick search and I found the solution to that. It finished building and appears to be working. (The emulator is still booting as I type this.)

I appreciate your patience with me.

Drake
Previous Topic:Eclipse, maven and toolchains
Next Topic:Disabling the automatic building of non-selected projects?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 23:20:19 GMT 2024