Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Can't recover offscreen windows
Can't recover offscreen windows [message #897642] Tue, 24 July 2012 21:03 Go to next message
Cory Burkhardt is currently offline Cory BurkhardtFriend
I tried to find other posts about this issue but could not find any. At work I use a dual monitor setup. I often use the call hierarchy tool and drag it off the main window into its own window. At home I have a single monitor, and when I remote to my machine, this call hierarchy window sometimes ends up off screen. When this happens I cannot figure out how to get it back. There are various articles on the web about recovering off screen windows. However, all of the ones I have seen use the system context menu for this, and the call hierarchy window does not have one.

Does anybody know how I can get these off screen windows back onto my working area or is the only solution to kill the main window and start over?
Re: Can't recover offscreen windows [message #968563 is a reply to message #897642] Fri, 02 November 2012 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prinny Dood is currently offline Prinny DoodFriend
Hey there, I've had this problem for a while too but only just now figured out a solution. You'd think there'd be a more obvious way, but here is what worked for me:

1. In the bottom left corner of Eclipse, you should see some little vertical-looking window type icon by itself with a yellow plus on the upper right side of the icon.
This gives you the option to "Show View as Fast View" (whatever that means).

2. Click this button and choose whichever window is offscreen. For me, usually "Search". This brings it up on the left-hand side of Eclipse, where the navigator usually is.

3. (Optional) Now just click on this tab (e.g., Search) and drag back down to the lower bar, or wherever else you want it.

Hopefully this helps some people coming from Google looking for an answer. This marks the first time I've ever joined some random forum just to answer a question Very Happy
Re: Can't recover offscreen windows [message #1854827 is a reply to message #897642] Tue, 13 September 2022 14:37 Go to previous message
Mike Shillinger is currently offline Mike ShillingerFriend
Even though this message is 10 years old, the problem still exists.

Using Eclipse v4.22. I ran into a similar situation. The Find/Replace dialog was off screen when I connected to my dual monitor work computer via NX. No amount of fiddling could force the dialog onto my remote screen. Because it was a dialog, not a window, the OS Task Switcher could not find it.

The "Show Fast View" icon cannot be found. Probably no longer in v4.22

I opened a console to the workspace/.metadata/.plugins directory and grep'd for "Find".

The saved location of the Find dialog was stored in

.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.ui.workbench.texteditor/dialog_settings.xml

<section name="org.eclipse.ui.texteditor.FindReplaceDialog_dialogBounds">
<!--	<item key="DIALOG_X_ORIGIN" value="1926"/> -->
	<item key="DIALOG_X_ORIGIN" value="926"/> 
	<item key="DIALOG_Y_ORIGIN" value="55"/>
	<item key="DIALOG_WIDTH" value="325"/>
	<item key="DIALOG_HEIGHT" value="419"/>
	<item key="DIALOG_FONT_NAME" value="1|Liberation Sans|9.0|0|GTK|1|"/>
</section>

I stopped Eclipse, changed the DIALOG_X_ORIGIN and restarted Eclipse. Now my Find/Replace dialog is visible - wahoo

Previous Topic:How to access getViewer().doOperation(TextViewer.PREFIX) an TextEditor?
Next Topic:How to remove Eclipse Test Menus and Tabs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 09:19:35 GMT 2024