Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » Unable to Execute SimpleAdder Project
Unable to Execute SimpleAdder Project [message #897581] Tue, 24 July 2012 15:09 Go to next message
Peter Hancox is currently offline Peter HancoxFriend
Just installed and started working with Jubula feature within eclipse. I've been working through the "SimpleAdder" project in the CheatSheet. Everything has gone fine up to the point of trying to execute the test suite.

I had to install the stand alone version in order to get the test application, however, all the work following the cheat sheet was done in my standard eclipse installation after installing the Jubula feature from Junos update site.

I am using the embedded AUT agent and the AUT starts fine. Could perform object mapping without any issues.

When I come to the final step of launching the test suite, nothing happens. I am in the "Functional Test Specification" perspective and eclipse doesn't offer to change to the "Functional Test Execution" perspective.

The probable cause is that the test suite has the test case flagged with an error of "Test Data for this node is incomplete". So I'm guessing it isn't even trying to start the test because of this?

In the Test Case Browser, all of the lowest level references to the unbound_modules_concrete_[6.0] library are missing the parameter values. In the test case editor, these values were specified (and still exist) in the parent node. The value cannot be set in the lowest level node. This would seem to make sense as the lowest level node would appear to be a "template" that is then customised by its parent.

So this seems "reasonable" except, because the parameter IS set for the parent, the Test Case Browser shouldn't be showing an error. Note that no error is shown in the Test Case Editor view.

Since this is my first experience with Jubula, I'm not sure what is normal and what isn't? Can anyone comment on whether this error condition is likely to be causing my problem and what else I can do to diagnose the issue?

Thanks for any help.

BTW Environment is Eclipse Junos 64-bit on Windows 7

[Updated on: Tue, 24 July 2012 15:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unable to Execute SimpleAdder Project [message #897668 is a reply to message #897581] Wed, 25 July 2012 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have restarted the entire tutorial using just the standalone version after deleting the project database.

Everything has now gone as expected and the test execution is launched. Apparently my previous issue was due to the test cases being flagged as in error; and consequently the test suite wasn't launched.

Althougth I have followed the exact same steps, this time the test cases shown in the Test Case Browser and Test Suite Browser do not show as "in error".

After I complete the tutorial in standalone version, I will try again with the Jubula feature in my standard Eclipse environment. At least now I have an idea of what is normal. Perhaps the issue is due to attempting to work with both standalone and plugin versions. I also already had Chronon installed in my standard Eclipse.

Are there any known issues where plugin feature differs from standalone version? Do people usually work with standalone version if they already have Eclipse installed for other development use?
Re: Unable to Execute SimpleAdder Project [message #897704 is a reply to message #897668] Wed, 25 July 2012 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Hi,

I'm glad it's working now Smile

There are a couple of things that you might have done differently the first time - added an empty dataset by accident, been in the wrong working language, used a slightly different test case that had more parameters than described...

There shouldn't be any difference between the plugin and the standalone for test specification. As for who uses what, I think that most testers who don't develop use the standalone, and developers who want to test their work / look at tests that reproduce bugs tend to work with the plugin. That's just a feeling though. There are some functional differences between the standalone and plugin - they are documented on the download page.

HTH,
Alex
Re: Unable to Execute SimpleAdder Project [message #897923 is a reply to message #897704] Wed, 25 July 2012 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Alex, thanks for your response.

I've fired up my standard Eclipse environment and attached to the same Jubula database that worked successfully with the standalone version and it continues to work OK. Made a simple edit to the test case and still OK.

Don't think I had any of the possible issues you suggested on the original plugin failure. I did however, have a few goes at importing the sample project. This time around the library test steps look a bit different I think. Whereas in the failed attempt, the parameter value for the library step was empty and unchangeable, it now has a value (e.g., "=TEXT") and unchangeable.

Perhaps in my initial stumbling around to import the example project I got the project database corrupted in some way.

Anyway, don't seem to have any problems now so I'm about to change the database to PostgreSQL and continue my evaluation.

Did notice, however, that after running the first test suite, the status bar reports "No connection to AUT". This occurs for both standalone and plugin versions but doesn't appear to cause any problems. Is this a bug or expected behaviour?

REGARDS
Peter
Re: Unable to Execute SimpleAdder Project [message #897928 is a reply to message #897923] Wed, 25 July 2012 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

That's expected - the AUT is running (you can see it in the running AUT's view), but we're not connected to it because no test is running. It's admittedly not particularly helpful as a message, but it's normal Smile

Alex
Re: Unable to Execute SimpleAdder Project [message #897983 is a reply to message #897928] Wed, 25 July 2012 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Still got problems with the plugin!

Created empty PostgreSQL database which imported default projects. Created project and defined activation step in new test case. As you can see, everything looks fine (ref attached Screen1.png)

After adding the test case to a test suite, the test case, test suite, etc. are flagged with "Test Data for this node is incomplete". See the error markings on Screen2.png

Prior to dropping the database and starting again, I'd gone through the complete cheat sheet and got the same problem. Same scenario as what I originally posted when using the embedded database.

Note that I haven't actually gotten a complete end-to-end config done with the plugin version. What I did get going was configuring using the standalone version then openning the project database with plugin version and making a minor change. Perhaps it is the action of initially adding the test case to the test suite that causes the problem with the plugin version?

Also note that the test steps related to activation in the unbound_modules_concrete_[6.0] library are now flagged as being in error whereas other steps in the library are not. This changed to become an error only after adding the test case to the test suite.

index.php/fa/10888/0/

index.php/fa/10889/0/
  • Attachment: Screen1.png
    (Size: 174.02KB, Downloaded 1045 times)
  • Attachment: Screen2.png
    (Size: 199.37KB, Downloaded 1014 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 25 July 2012 14:46]

Re: Unable to Execute SimpleAdder Project [message #897996 is a reply to message #897983] Wed, 25 July 2012 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Alex,

Think I've found the issue! Didn't understand your comment in your previous reply when you mentioned that "wrong working language" might be the problem.

I noticed that the standalone version creates projects with a default language of "English (United States)" whereas when I create a project in my Eclipse with the Jubula plugin, it defaults to "English (Australian)". After changing the default to "English (United States)" the problems appear to have gone away; though I've only just gotten past the point documented in my last post.

Why would the project language cause these sorts of errors? If this is the case would you consider it a bug or is the language more ingrained in the test configuration in some way that I should be catering for?
Re: Unable to Execute SimpleAdder Project [message #898020 is a reply to message #897996] Wed, 25 July 2012 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After changing the default language I have now been able to successfully complete the first example from the cheat sheet under my Eclipse install with the Jubula feature plugin and a PostgreSQL database.

I still have one small issue which is probably related to PostgreSQL. The sample finishes with a failed check and then takes a screen shot. This screenshot can be seen when the failed step is selected in the "Test Result" from the "Functional Test Execution" perspective; but does not show when selected from the "Test Result Summary" on the "Functional Test Reporting" perspective.

Presumably the first one (being from the last test execution) is probably coming from a memory buffer whereas the second one is being retrieved from the database. I've had problems with images stored in PostgreSQL before. Is this likely to be my problem? Is it a known issue/bug? Is there a workaround?
Re: Unable to Execute SimpleAdder Project [message #898651 is a reply to message #898020] Fri, 27 July 2012 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

WRT the project language - is your computer locale set to Australian? That could explain why it gets used...

The reason why you get errors with Australian is, I believe, that the data for the unbound modules are not available for Australian.

Best regards,
Alex
Re: Unable to Execute SimpleAdder Project [message #898654 is a reply to message #898651] Fri, 27 July 2012 05:50 Go to previous message
Not sure where the locale is folmerly set but "Format:" under "Region and Language" is set to "English (Australian)".

I doubt the difference between "English (United States)" and "English (Australian)" is going to make much difference. So unless it's easy to configure the unbound modules I'll just change the project language in Jubula project.

Found this issue discussed briefly in the forum http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/mv/msg/240598/726396/#msg_726396 back in September 2011.

Given the error messages aren't particularly helpful in identifying the problem, and I expect it could well impact a number of first time users, is it worth while getting this into the FAQ? And/Or the cheat sheet.

I've created another thread in relation to screenshot image storage in PostgreSQL.

Many thanks for your help.

[Updated on: Fri, 27 July 2012 05:53]

Previous Topic:"Renderer not Supported" Error
Next Topic:Test Results taking too long to delete
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:13:49 GMT 2024