Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Headless Workspace(Using HeadlessContextPresentationEngine to have a headless workspace.)
Headless Workspace [message #897090] Sat, 21 July 2012 15:44 Go to next message
Eric Van Dewoestine is currently offline Eric Van DewoestineFriend
I'm attempting to migrate my code for starting up a headless eclipse workspace from 3.x to Juno. With e4 it seems that the proper route would be to create a headless presentation engine to replace the default PartRenderingEngine, but in my attempts to use the HeadlessContextPresentationEngine, I've run into a problem where the event broker is never injected resulting in the headless engine failing with an NPE during its postConstruct.

Here is how I'm overriding the default PartRenderingEngine
  <extension point="org.eclipse.core.runtime.products" id="org.eclipse.sdk.ide">
    <product application="org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.E4Application">
      <property name="presentationURI" value="bundleclass://org.sample/org.eclipse.e4.ui.tests.application.HeadlessContextPresentationEngine" />
    </product>
  </extension>

I then start eclipse normally letting it run the default workbench application which fails to start with this NPE due to the eventBroker being null:

org.eclipse.e4.core.di.InjectionException: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:63)
        at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.processAnnotated(InjectorImpl.java:857)
        at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.inject(InjectorImpl.java:111)
        at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.internalMake(InjectorImpl.java:318)
        at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.make(InjectorImpl.java:240)
        at org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts.ContextInjectionFactory.make(ContextInjectionFactory.java:161)
        at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.createFromBundle(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:102)
        at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.doCreate(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:71)
        at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.create(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:53)
        at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.instantiateRenderer(E4Workbench.java:101)
        at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:83)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:585)
        at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:540)
        at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:124)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:353)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:180)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:629)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:584)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1438)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1414)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.eclipse.e4.ui.tests.application.HeadlessContextPresentationEngine.postConstruct(HeadlessContextPresentationEngine.java:124)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
        at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:56)
        ... 28 more

Looking at the eclipse source I can't figure out why the default PartRenderingEngine would have its eventBroker injected, but the HeadlessContextPresentationEngine wouldn't.
Re: Headless Workspace [message #897538 is a reply to message #897090] Tue, 24 July 2012 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian de Alwis is currently offline Brian de AlwisFriend
Just curious, but if it's headless, why don't you just supply your own IApplication? Why bother running the workbench?

Re: the event rocker not being injected. It I sounds like you're missing a key bundle. Are you including all the bundles specified by org.eclipse.e4.rcp feature?

Brian.
Re: Headless Workspace [message #897541 is a reply to message #897538] Tue, 24 July 2012 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Brian de Alwis wrote on Tue, 24 July 2012 15:52

Re: the event rocker not being injected. It I sounds like you're missing a key bundle. Are you including all the bundles specified by org.eclipse.e4.rcp feature?

Brian.

We have an IEventRocker ? Cool. eventRocker.rockTheParty(Club club);
Re: Headless Workspace [message #897661 is a reply to message #897538] Wed, 25 July 2012 01:16 Go to previous message
Eric Van Dewoestine is currently offline Eric Van DewoestineFriend
Brian de Alwis wrote on Tue, 24 July 2012 08:52
Just curious, but if it's headless, why don't you just supply your own IApplication? Why bother running the workbench?

I need to run the workbench because I'm exposing eclipse features via console commands (eclim.org). For eclipse 3.x I had a dedicated IApplication which included some gross hacks so I could call PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(...) and prevent it from rending anything, but those hacks no longer work.

Brian de Alwis wrote on Tue, 24 July 2012 08:52

Thanks for the hint! Turns out I was just missing javax.inject in my dependencies. Now on to the next set of NPEs...
Previous Topic:(Announce) "Jeeeyul's Eclipse Themes" is Updated
Next Topic:Missing Toolbar when migrating to e4
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 18:42:15 GMT 2024