Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » HTML: Manually specify component id and/or XPath
HTML: Manually specify component id and/or XPath [message #896689] Thu, 19 July 2012 11:57 Go to next message
Christina Ballot is currently offline Christina BallotFriend
When designing testcases with Jubula's HTML feature set, it would be extremely helpful to be able to set a technical component manually by specifying

1. it's unique HTML-id-Tag
  2. its position in DOM by XPath

For a number of components the current solution ("Click in Browser") works well for about 2/3 of the time, but fails for 1/3, which renders some HTML-testing inaccessible to Jubula.

Depending on the availability of id-Tags in (dynamic) HTML-pages, both technical component selection criteria (either XPath or id) would be of great help.

I understand that this is fully supported in Selenium, which is used internally by Jubula.

Therefore two questions:

1. Is technical component selection based on manually entering an id and/or XPath currently possible?
  2. If not: Is this on Jubula's feature roadmap?
Re: HTML: Manually specify component id and/or XPath [message #898282 is a reply to message #896689] Thu, 26 July 2012 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Hi,

you can set the ID tag in the AUT configuration. This doesn't mean that you don't need to perform the mapping, but it does mean that the unique ID will be used for component recognition.

In terms of the X-path, I don't think there's anything in there. Would setting the Xpath mean that any changes to the component hierarchy result in it not being found? That would seem quite brittle to me ....

Best regards,
Alex
Re: HTML: Manually specify component id and/or XPath [message #898882 is a reply to message #896689] Sat, 28 July 2012 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arjan berg is currently offline arjan bergFriend
Hi,

I saw the Jubula demo on testautomation day, Rotterdam NL.

I really like this frame work...Just drag and drop a keyword driven test! I succeeded to complete the tututorial...however when i start using it on my own SUT (HTML/AJAX Based application) i was not able to any object mapping Crying or Very Sad ...so is it possible to add objects manual, with xpath, or an id , because within plain selenium its's possible to "pass" the logon screen like:

selenium.type("id=inputUsername", "cordys");
selenium.type("id=inputPassword", "cordys123");
selenium.click("id=buttonOK");

...like the first post in this thread, will become xpath available, or can we do manual object edit/mapping

Regards,

Arjan
Re: HTML: Manually specify component id and/or XPath [message #899545 is a reply to message #898882] Wed, 01 August 2012 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Hi,

You should be able to perform the object mapping if the components are of types already recognized by Jubula. What kinds of components are they, and how are they defined?

Best regards,
Alex
Re: HTML: Manually specify component id and/or XPath [message #900143 is a reply to message #898282] Sat, 04 August 2012 16:17 Go to previous message
Christina Ballot is currently offline Christina BallotFriend
The AUT-ID seems to be something quite different from the HTML-id-tag. Are you really sure?

Regarding XPath: When using AJAX-frameworks like extJS etc., the page structure is stable, while the ids are not. Also, e.g. extJS does not render comboboxes as HTML-selects, but as complex div-encapsulations. Jubula's way of "click-to-map" is not reliable here, since usually the wrong HTML-element is chosen (due to the complex encapsulations produced by mentioned typical AJAX frameworks). Therefore, XPath is the most promising way to efficiently map logical to technical components here.

Jubula should definitely support both HTML-id-tags and XPath (and also CSS-path-locators).

Surely this should pose no difficult task, since Selenium already _does_ support all those means of locating elements within a given HTML page: Jubula is based on Selenium!
Previous Topic:My AUT does not start by testexec during Test Job
Next Topic:Support for current Firefox-Releases
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:29:41 GMT 2024