Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » NoClassDefFoundError for org/slf4j/LoggerFactory upon Xtext generation(In Xtext 2.3.0 running in Juno JDT, Generate Xtext Artifacts fails.)
icon4.gif  NoClassDefFoundError for org/slf4j/LoggerFactory upon Xtext generation [message #896575] Thu, 19 July 2012 00:13 Go to next message
John Bito is currently offline John BitoFriend
Trying to put together a configuration with Juno JDT and the latest release Xtext bundle from the Juno update site, I've encountered a problem that seems very similar to a dependency problem with o.a.commons.logging that was fixed 2012-05-15 for RC1. The exception stack trace I get is essentially the same as in the old bug report.

I'm using the p2 director to download and configure my plugins, and I haven't tried using "Install New Software" from the "Help" menu to see if Xtext works better that way. My next step will start with the pre-configured Eclipse downloaded from Itemis and add the other feature groups I want to that.

Please let me know if I should try something else.

Thanks!
John

[Updated on: Thu, 26 July 2012 21:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: NoClassDefFoundError for org/slf4j/LoggerFactory upon Xtext generation [message #896824 is a reply to message #896575] Thu, 19 July 2012 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After downloading the XText/XTend distribution from the XText downloads and using the p2.director to configure the additional plugins, it's possible to generate the XText artifacts, again. It seems that there's a problem with installing the XText feature group into the Eclipse Java IDE. It appears to be the same incompatibility with Mylyn reported (and claimed to be corrected) in bug 370411.

Should I report a new bug to request changes so the XText feature group can work when it's installed into the Eclipse Java IDE?
icon14.gif  Re: NoClassDefFoundError for org/slf4j/LoggerFactory upon Xtext generation [message #897588 is a reply to message #896824] Tue, 24 July 2012 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This turns out to be a problem that can be address by adjusting the MANIFEST.MF. At one point, org.apache.commons.logging was added to the Import-Package header. The Reguire-Bundle header must include o.a.c.logging, but if it appears in Import-Package, OSGi seems to grab it from some JDT (MyLyn?) bundle that configures it for slf4j. (Of course, an Eclipse that's not configured with JDT won't encounter this.)

If you encounter this, check that Require-Bundle has
org.apache.commons.logging;bundle-version="1.0.4";resolution:=optional
and Import-Package has
org.apache.log4j

Thanks (as ever) to Sebastian Zarnekow for his prompt and expert advice!

[Updated on: Tue, 24 July 2012 15:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: NoClassDefFoundError for org/slf4j/LoggerFactory upon Xtext generation [message #898391 is a reply to message #896575] Thu, 26 July 2012 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aaron Digulla is currently offline Aaron DigullaFriend
John Bito wrote on Thu, 19 July 2012 02:13
Trying to put together a configuration with Juno JDT and the latest release Xtext bundle from the Juno update site, I've encountered a problem that seems very similar to a dependency problem with o.a.commons.logging that was fixed 2012-05-15 for RC1. The exception stack trace I get is essentially the same as in the old bug report.

This link doesn't work. Can you please fix it?

Regards,

A. Digulla
Re: NoClassDefFoundError for org/slf4j/LoggerFactory upon Xtext generation [message #898618 is a reply to message #898391] Thu, 26 July 2012 21:47 Go to previous message
Thanks for pointing out the bad URL!
Previous Topic:Updating resource description takes forever
Next Topic:Refactoring nested elements/references
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:58:31 GMT 2024