Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » What's the correct way to access debug targets?((Currently getting "Discouraged access" warnings))
What's the correct way to access debug targets? [message #896237] Tue, 17 July 2012 16:44 Go to next message
David Paterson is currently offline David PatersonFriend
I'm writing a debug plugin in which I want to be able to connect back to a source file from the displayed data, i.e. taking a displayed value as an address, then opening the relevant source file and jumping to the correct line.

I can get an IDebugTarget object from the launch manager, but this type of object doesn't have any methods (as far as I can see) to convert my address to a file path and line number reference.

I'm converting it to a CDebugTarget, and using that to access an ICDITarget, and between the two of these I have the ability to create an IAddress object via getAddressFactory().createAddress, and use that for getAddressForSource().

However, the use of CDebugTarget is giving warnings :-

Discouraged access: The type CDebugTarget is not accessible due to restriction on required library...

Although my code works correctly, I'd prefer not to have these warnings, so if anyone can advise on an alternative I'd be very grateful.
Re: What's the correct way to access debug targets? [message #896373 is a reply to message #896237] Wed, 18 July 2012 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
That's a good question for the cdt dev mailing list.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: What's the correct way to access debug targets? [message #896410 is a reply to message #896373] Wed, 18 July 2012 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okely-dokely...

Signing up and posting Smile
Re: What's the correct way to access debug targets? [message #899934 is a reply to message #896237] Fri, 03 August 2012 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ben agai is currently offline ben agaiFriend
hi.

im having the same problem myself...

david did you get an answer and fixed it?
Re: What's the correct way to access debug targets? [message #901286 is a reply to message #899934] Fri, 10 August 2012 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ben,

Unfortunately I've found nothing so far, so I'm just having to ignore the warnings for now.

My worry is that future changes to the CDT might stop my plugin from working if I'm using something that isn't really the "correct" way to do it.

However, I'm busy with other things and will put this problem aside for now. I'm sure there is an answer, but it may take some time digging into the internals of CDT to find it.
Re: What's the correct way to access debug targets? [message #902530 is a reply to message #901286] Sat, 18 August 2012 08:03 Go to previous message
ben agai is currently offline ben agaiFriend
that is exactly what im doing.

thanks.
Previous Topic:CoreException: failed to remove resources
Next Topic:<iostream> The word '' is not correctly spelled
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 15:34:21 GMT 2024