Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse Process Manager (Stardust) » Build Process(Relation between maven and ivy)
Build Process [message #895714] Sun, 15 July 2012 09:02 Go to next message
Florian Kammermann is currently offline Florian KammermannFriend
Hey there.

I build the source and try to understand how the build process works.

I have 3 questions:
- I see that maven, ant and ivy is interacting in the build process, how is it related together?
- Why is there not a pure maven build?
- Can I help to create a pure maven build?
Re: Build Process [message #901578 is a reply to message #895714] Mon, 13 August 2012 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Herbert Neureiter is currently offline Herbert NeureiterFriend
Hi Florian,

the reason for the usage of Ivy is twofold:

1. Ivy is used for generating POMs needed to publish build artifacts. At the time when the build process was designed, Maven had some shortcomings in this area. This is why we decided to use Ivy for this kind of tasks.
  2. The original build files that evolved into what now is the Stardust build were plain ant files without any Maven or Ivy usage. These contain quite some procedural logic that is not trivial to describe in Maven terms. For time constraints we decided to do the migration to Maven peacemeal and use Ivy as a bridge technology to make both approaches compatible.

Mid-term we are planning to migrate to a full Maven build and eliminate Ivy. To my regret, currently other threads are somewhat higher in priority which is why this has not been completed yet.

Your offer to help with the conversion is very welcome, though. However, it might not be an easy topic to get into, especially if one looks at the build process as a whole. Concentrating on only one part or component at a time would likely make things easier. Do you have any favourite components or parts of the build process that are particularaly important or already well known to you?

Herbert

[Updated on: Mon, 13 August 2012 13:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Build Process [message #931671 is a reply to message #901578] Wed, 03 October 2012 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Florian Kammermann is currently offline Florian KammermannFriend
Quote:
Do you have any favourite components or parts of the build process that are particularaly important or already well known to you?

No not really, I'm more the server guy. So it would be good to start with a easy to understand server-side module.

Can you mention one?
Re: Build Process [message #981630 is a reply to message #931671] Mon, 12 November 2012 15:18 Go to previous message
Herbert Neureiter is currently offline Herbert NeureiterFriend
Hi Florian,

I'm afraid at the moment it would not be easy to identify any simple serverside projects that can be started with right away. Before we can go through the Mavenization of the idivdual module build files, we need to spend some time on the general concept and what would be the best way to handle the build-time dependencies between the different modules when using Maven exclusively.

The good news is that we are now about to kick off this task. So stay tuned for a few more weeks, we will let you know when the time is right to start working on the different modules.

Herbert
Previous Topic:IPP 5.3.4 resource busy and acquire with NOWAIT specified or timeout expired
Next Topic:NullPointerException during first login in on Weblogic
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:51:10 GMT 2024