Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » PDE doesn't find source code when debugging
icon4.gif  PDE doesn't find source code when debugging [message #895213] Thu, 12 July 2012 06:55 Go to next message
David  Pérez is currently offline David PérezFriend
Hi,

Before opening a new bug, I first explain what I consider a bug:

I'm testing the new 4.2 Eclipse, and I have a problem debugging an RCP app.
I'm working with Linux 64 bits and Oracle Java 7.
The app I'm testing is the Birt RCP Designer.

I'm launching my app as a RCP Application.
I have in the classpath all the necessary Birt plugins, and 2 plugins in my workspace. All Birt plugins have source code.

I have checked that all source plugins are included in the preferences: Plug-in Development | Target Platform.

The point where I'm getting an exception is here:

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.DataSourceQuery.setInputParameterBinding(DataSourceQuery.java:1103)
	at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.DataSourceQuery.addParameterDefns(DataSourceQuery.java:574)
	at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.DataSourceQuery.prepare(DataSourceQuery.java:290)

If I click over the DataSourceQuery class, Eclipse complains with this message:
Source not found for org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.DataSourceQuery

I cannot open the type with Ctrl+Shift+T.

The following plugins are loaded:
org.eclipse.birt.data_4.2.0.v20120612.jar
org.eclipse.birt.data.source_4.2.0.v20120612.jar

which contain DataSourceQuery.class.

I have also included the plugin that contains the Application definition in the workspace.

Why cannot Eclipse find the source code? Crying or Very Sad

I have asked before the Birt team, but I think the problem has more to do with PDE.

Thanks in advance for any valuable hint.

David
Re: PDE doesn't find source code when debugging [message #895244 is a reply to message #895213] Thu, 12 July 2012 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have solved it myself, by importing into workspace the relevant plug-in.
I didn't need to do so, with previous versions of Eclipse...
Last time I was developing RCP apps is Helios version.
Re: PDE doesn't find source code when debugging [message #895259 is a reply to message #895244] Thu, 12 July 2012 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What I see, is that I cannot evaluate expressions.

Here is the error message:
Quote:

To perform an evaluation, an expression must be compiled in the context of a Java project's build path. The current execution context is not associated with a Java project in a workspace.

I don't remember this limitation either. Sad
I suppose I have to import the project as a Java project an compile in my workspace.
Considering that a typical RCP project contains hundreds of plug-ins, that represents a lot of fuss.
Re: PDE doesn't find source code when debugging [message #895344 is a reply to message #895213] Thu, 12 July 2012 14:09 Go to previous message
Curtis Windatt is currently offline Curtis WindattFriend
PDE builds and runs against two sets of bundles. Those in the workspace and those in the target platform. By importing projects you are adding them to the workspace. To work with your target platform, use Preferences > PDE > Target Platform.

Only bundles that are required by projects are added to the Java search scope. So using Open Type (Ctrl-Shift-T) will only find classes from the workspace or from target bundles required by the workspace projects.

I would start by checking whether birt is actually in your target platform. If you have birt installed in Eclipse, then the default target platform will include it (hit restore defaults on the preference page). If the search scope is a problem, you can expand it to include all target bundles using the fourth option on Preferences < Plug-in Development.
Previous Topic:View's manipulation
Next Topic:after update-site build-all, osgi-bundle missing in artifacts.xml
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 16:03:39 GMT 2024