Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Merge disabled(Merge is disabled ,grayed out)
Merge disabled [message #894719] Tue, 10 July 2012 09:20 Go to next message
Alberto Gomez is currently offline Alberto GomezFriend
Hi

I'm fairly new to git so I don't know If I'm missing something really obvious here.

My problem is that at some point my Egit merge tool suddenly was disabled.It worked before , but one day after pulling from my remote, I tried to use it to solve conflicts but It's grayed out, disabled.I've been searching forums for people with the same problem and the all talk about a bug in Egit that was resolved about a year ago, and related to cherry-picking, which is a thing I don't think I did(I don't even know what that is!), so I don't think that bug is the cause of my problem.

Thanks for reading , any help will be much appreciated
Re: Merge disabled [message #894746 is a reply to message #894719] Tue, 10 July 2012 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manuel Doninger is currently offline Manuel DoningerFriend
Is your repository currently in MERGE CONFLICT state, i.e. is on at least one of your files the red arrow marker for a conflict? If yes, then it is indeed a bug, if not, then there is no conflict to resolve.
Re: Merge disabled [message #894749 is a reply to message #894719] Tue, 10 July 2012 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Many thanks for your response

Well I'm pretty sure it is.
In the Unstaged changes window in the repository view , I can see the files my colleage changed, with a red mark on them.Next to the project name it says "conflicts", and when using the git commmand line tool it says "(master|merging)"
So if this is a bug, do you mean it is the bug they solved a year ago, or is it something new?
Should I try to update my version of Egit?
Re: Merge disabled [message #894917 is a reply to message #894749] Wed, 11 July 2012 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manuel Doninger is currently offline Manuel DoningerFriend
Which version of EGit do you have? Current release version is 2.0.0, so if you have an older version, i would recommend to update EGit. You find the update site at http://download.eclipse.org/egit/updates
Re: Merge disabled [message #894992 is a reply to message #894917] Wed, 11 July 2012 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks again for your response, really appreciated.

I had an old version of egit.When I installed it a couple of months ago with the eclipse installer tool , I assumed that it was an up to date version.
I have installed now the latest, but I just performed a test, and the merge tool is still grayed out, so nothing has changed.

Any other suggestions?
Re: Merge disabled [message #899192 is a reply to message #894992] Tue, 31 July 2012 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryan How is currently offline Ryan HowFriend
Hi,

Did you figure this out?

I'm having the same issue. A file is in conflict, but the merge tool is greyed out. The GIT repo is in a parent folder of the project and has multiple projects in it, I wonder if that is affecting it?

Manually merging sucks Smile

Ryan
Re: Merge disabled [message #932864 is a reply to message #894719] Thu, 04 October 2012 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
simon coleman is currently offline simon colemanFriend
I also have a merge conflict (red marker in the git staging view) & merge tool is disabled when I right click on the file.

I note that none of the right click Team-> shortcuts on the navigators have merge available either - this is described in http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide#Using_Merge_Tool

I'm using win7/64 bit & am running with an up to date (as of an hour ago) juno eclipse/egit version & jdk 1.6.0.35

I suspect either an install issue (not sure why that would be) or a compatibility issue although I may just have misunderstood how to get access to the merge tool (I'm an eclipse noob & still exploring a lot of its behaviours). I'm comfortable with cmd line git & can see the merge conflict & the file markers are present as I would expect...

Should I raise a bugzilla report for a defect against this feature & platform?

simon
Re: Merge disabled [message #932867 is a reply to message #932864] Thu, 04 October 2012 14:09 Go to previous message
Ryan How is currently offline Ryan HowFriend
It started working for me. I'm not sure what actually changed. So it must be a bug that happens with certain configurations.

To be honest I found the merge tool not that great and ended up just merging it by hand using the pre-merged file from git. But maybe I wasn't using it right Smile
Previous Topic:EGit on Mac OS X 10.8.x
Next Topic:Checkout private repositories
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:17:50 GMT 2024