Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » branch deletion broken in Juno?
branch deletion broken in Juno? [message #893992] Fri, 06 July 2012 11:05 Go to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
I just switched to Juno + egit nightlies and branch deletion seems to fail consistently:

at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:63)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.invokeUsingClass(InjectorImpl.java:229)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.invoke(InjectorImpl.java:210)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts.ContextInjectionFactory.invoke(ContextInjectionFactory.java:131)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.commands.internal.HandlerServiceImpl.executeHandler(HandlerServiceImpl.java:171)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.LegacyHandlerService.executeCommandInContext(LegacyHandlerService.java:544)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.CommonUtils.runCommand(CommonUtils.java:119)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.dialogs.CheckoutDialog$3.widgetSelected(CheckoutDialog.java:205)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:248)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4134)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1458)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1481)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1466)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.notifyListeners(Widget.java:1271)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3980)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3619)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:825)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:801)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.branch.BranchOperationUI.getTargetWithDialog(BranchOperationUI.java:288)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.branch.BranchOperationUI.start(BranchOperationUI.java:152)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.actions.SwitchToMenu$2.widgetSelected(SwitchToMenu.java:187)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:248)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4134)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1458)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1481)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1466)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.notifyListeners(Widget.java:1271)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3980)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3619)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$9.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1022)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:916)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:86)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:585)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:540)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:124)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:353)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:180)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:629)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:584)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1438)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.repository.tree.command.RemoveCommand.removeRepository(RemoveCommand.java:78)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.repository.tree.command.DeleteCommand.execute(DeleteCommand.java:22)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerProxy.execute(HandlerProxy.java:293)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.E4HandlerProxy.execute(E4HandlerProxy.java:76)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:56)
... 51 more

OS X 10.7.4
Version: Juno Release
Build id: 20120614-1722
Eclipse EGit 2.1.0.201207041114
Re: branch deletion broken in Juno? [message #894007 is a reply to message #893992] Fri, 06 July 2012 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Follow-up: confirmed that the same egit version does not have this problem in Indigo SR2 Build id: 20120216-1857
Re: branch deletion broken in Juno? [message #894024 is a reply to message #894007] Fri, 06 July 2012 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
How did you invoke branch deletion (Repositories View, History View, team menu) ?
Re: branch deletion broken in Juno? [message #894033 is a reply to message #894007] Fri, 06 July 2012 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I attempted the deletion both from the "Switch to..." item in the right-click popup menu in repositories view and also from the 'Checkout Branch etc' toolbar item. Either way I ended up in the Branches dialog.

Just now I successfully deleted a branch in Juno by navigating to it in the repositories view and using the "Delete" entry in the right-click popup. I also deleted successfully from history.

So looks like it's just the delete operation in the Branches dialog that's broken in Juno.
Re: branch deletion broken in Juno? [message #894337 is a reply to message #894033] Sun, 08 July 2012 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Filed as bug https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=384545
Re: branch deletion broken in Juno? [message #899542 is a reply to message #894033] Wed, 01 August 2012 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Am I the only person seeing this problem? Is it maybe platform-specific (I'm on OS X)? How could an operation as basic as branch deletion be left broken for so long?

Yes, I know I can do it by switching to the Git Repositories view, or for that matter to a shell. But I'm always in the primary development perspective (Java, C++, etc) when I want to delete a branch and the whole point of integration is not having to switch context.
Re: branch deletion broken in Juno? [message #899619 is a reply to message #899542] Wed, 01 August 2012 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manuel Doninger is currently offline Manuel DoningerFriend
I just tried it on windows and had the same problem. However, the real cause seems to be another exception (NPE). I attached that to the bug.
Re: branch deletion broken in Juno? [message #899632 is a reply to message #899619] Wed, 01 August 2012 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Right, the exception's cause is

org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.repository.tree.command.RemoveCommand.removeRepository(RemoveCommand.java:78)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.repository.tree.command.DeleteCommand.execute(DeleteCommand.java:22)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerProxy.execute(HandlerProxy.java:293)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.E4HandlerProxy.execute(E4HandlerProxy.java:76)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor32.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:56)
... 51 more

Looks like I missed the end of the error log when I pasted into the bug report I filed a few weeks ago. Sorry about that.

Re: branch deletion broken in Juno? [message #926641 is a reply to message #899632] Fri, 28 September 2012 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Problem seems to be fixed in Juno SR1 + EGit 2.2.0.201209272213. Whether the fix came from SR1 or from the nightly build of EGit, or some combination, I don't know.
Re: branch deletion broken in Juno? [message #929457 is a reply to message #926641] Mon, 01 October 2012 13:22 Go to previous message
Manuel Doninger is currently offline Manuel DoningerFriend
AFAIK the fix was in Eclipse itself.
Previous Topic:Git as a folder in an existing project
Next Topic:Bogus syntax complaint
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:58:33 GMT 2024