Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Memory Analyzer » MAT Main Menu Missing
MAT Main Menu Missing [message #893411] Wed, 04 July 2012 02:21 Go to next message
Eric Luong is currently offline Eric LuongFriend
I just downloaded the standalone Memory Analyzer 1.2.0 release for Linux x86. I'm trying to run it on Ubuntu 11.04 but I'm getting a weird GUI issue -- there is no main menu. For example, I can't open a heap dump using File > Open Snapshot as described in the basic tutorial. The only way I see is to go from the Welcome/Overview screen.

Does anybody have an idea of what's wrong? Can someone suggest a way to fix this?

Thanks for your help!
Re: MAT Main Menu Missing [message #893425 is a reply to message #893411] Wed, 04 July 2012 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Krum Tsvetkov is currently offline Krum TsvetkovFriend
Hi Eric,
Unfortunately we can't try if the standalone MAT versions on all platforms are working correctly before we publish them. (don't have the hadrware for it). We rely on the build tools to do the proper job there, and on our users to tell us if something went wrong. So thanks for the feedback!
I managed to find a pretty old Ubunto image (8.4) and installed MAT 1.2.0 on it. I also took the x86 version and it worked just fine - all menus are there. So it doesn't seem that the installation is fully broken.
I will be interested to hear what is the experience of others - if they also face the same problem as you, and if/how this could be fixed.

Krum
Re: MAT Main Menu Missing [message #893577 is a reply to message #893425] Wed, 04 July 2012 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found a fix, of sorts. The problem is with Ubuntu's Global Menu (part of the Unity UI). The menu bar for any window is at the top, rather than with the window itself. It's hidden by defauult; you see the options when you hover over the bar. I've attached a screenshot showing how the options do not appear for MAT.

By disabling the global menu, I see the options again.

This is more of a workaround than anything though. A fix should be made so the options appear even if you are using the global menu bar.

On a different topic, is the tutorial out of date? It says to use File > Open Snapshot, but the actual option (now that I can see it) appears to be File > Open Heapdump.
  • Attachment: mat_menu.png
    (Size: 113.96KB, Downloaded 478 times)
Re: MAT Main Menu Missing [message #893758 is a reply to message #893577] Thu, 05 July 2012 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Eric,

I opened the following bug, so that we don't forget about the problem:
384360: Menus not visible in Ubunto 11.4
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=384360

As I already said I can't try this our at the moment, but I hope I can get somewhere access to the proper OS to test it. Btw, do you have this problem only with MAT, or with Eclipse IDE in general? I don't think MAT is having any special handling there.

Regards,
Krum
Re: MAT Main Menu Missing [message #893854 is a reply to message #893758] Thu, 05 July 2012 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not using Eclipse right now and there are no plans to install it, so I can't say. Sorry! As I said above, it appears that the problem is just with Unity's global menu. After disabling it, the menu options are visible again. Ubuntu 11.10 may exhibit the same issue as it also uses the global menu. I'm not sure about Ubuntu 12.04. Sorry i can't be of more help!
Re: MAT Main Menu Missing [message #893949 is a reply to message #893854] Fri, 06 July 2012 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Eric! I think the info you provided is already a good starting point for us.
Krum
Re: MAT Main Menu Missing [message #1060183 is a reply to message #893411] Thu, 23 May 2013 12:19 Go to previous message
Rob Shepherd is currently offline Rob ShepherdFriend
In case somebody else finds this problem, and discovers this thread, you can disable unity's global menu by starting 'mat' with an ENVIRONMENT variable.

env UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= ./MemoryAnalyzer

(This works for everything, not just 'mat')

Enjoy.
Previous Topic:Help in analysis
Next Topic:Thread Details/Overview won't open: Object 0x2aab50739d48 not found.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:16:36 GMT 2024