Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Lua Development Tools » We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki!(Collecting ideas for Koneki 0.9)
icon1.gif  We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #893353] Tue, 03 July 2012 16:17 Go to next message
Benjamin Cabé is currently offline Benjamin CabéFriend

Hi there,

Now that Koneki 0.8 is out, it is time to discuss what we should put in our next release. The plan would be to release the 0.9 version somewhere around the end of the year.

I suggest that you guys use this thread to list what you think would be great enhancements to the tools, and we will then update this wiki page accordingly.

Of course, I know that most of the users of Koneki are using LDT, but if you are an user of the OMA-DM simulator, your inputs are also most welcome!

[Updated on: Tue, 03 July 2012 16:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #894652 is a reply to message #893353] Tue, 10 July 2012 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
uiy uiy is currently offline uiy uiyFriend
1. When the LDT is asking to update please have some sort of changelog or some way to know what the update is really about when it asks. I always update but it's nice to see what is changed.

2. Function collapsing.

3. Editor: Ability to tabify. I hate having to delete a bunch of white space to align things and the ability to convert all spaces into tabs would be nice(just scan document and any group of 4 spaces would be converted to a tab).

White space management. When one presses delete at the end of a line it should bring the line below it right up to current line with just a whitespace between them. Currently when this is done one has to delete all the whitespace by hand that was from the indentation of that line.

Similarly for backspace but it either moves the line down a tab or to the start of the line.

The goal here is to keep everything tab aligned. I almost never have the need to start a line that isn't aligned on a tab but I find myself having to delete spaces all the time to align along tabs. By simply making the backspace and del greedy, even tab aligned greedy, one can solve most of these problems.

4. Intellisense improvements. I'm used to visual studio's comprehensive intellisense and it would be very nice to have something similar for ldt. I know there was some discussion or something about intellisense for user functions and variables but the ability to simply scan for functions in all open files or project files and make them available for intellisense would be nice. (something that will just trigger the neurons)

5. Make it easier to setup, run, and debug projects. The run/debug configurations and everything seems like a mess(maybe my ignorance on eclipse).

With visual studio if I want to debug I hit F5 and if I want to run I hit ctrl-F5.. or set it up for F6. It also automatically saves the files and doesn't pop up a box asking me to save which just slows down everything on small projects.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 July 2012 05:02]

Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #894769 is a reply to message #894652] Tue, 10 July 2012 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon Bernard is currently offline Simon BernardFriend
Hi uiy uiy,
Thx for your feedback.

1. You're right, we must have a more readable deliver process. We will thing about that.

2. It could be a nice improvement.

3. There are some interesting propositions. It seems our formatter could answer to your needs. Did you try it?

4. We plan to improve our auto-completion system. We are focused on a smart but not complete auto-completion support, but it could have sense to complete it with dummy auto-completion. Did you try, the execution environment feature ?

5. Currently, we have only one debug launch configuration : "Attach to Lua Application". It is not a very simple way to debug but it allows to support a lot of different use cases (different kind of VM, remote debugging, ...)
We plan to add other kinds of launch configuration to simplify some use cases (with standard eclipse shortcut Ctrl+F11 to run and F11 to debug)
FYI, The shortcut is configurable in eclipse : windows/preferences/general/keys, and you could configure if you want a prompt or not when you run an application : windows/preferences/Run-Debug/Launching.
Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #894790 is a reply to message #894652] Tue, 10 July 2012 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

uiy uiy wrote on Tue, 10 July 2012 03:32

3. Editor: Ability to tabify. I hate having to delete a bunch of white space to align things and the ability to convert all spaces into tabs would be nice(just scan document and any group of 4 spaces would be converted to a tab).

For this purpose I think that AnyEdit can help you by providing all these small generic text-editing useful actions (capitalize, convert linefeeds, convert spaces, etc...)
You can get it from the Eclipse Marketplace: http://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/anyedit-tools

Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #895718 is a reply to message #894790] Sun, 15 July 2012 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benjamin:

The tabify I am talking about should be real time except for the initial document scan(Which isn't really needed if one follows through). Essentially just making backspace greedy. When backspace is hit it either consumes all previous white space OR moves back a tab(regardless if spacebar or tab was used to create the space).

Tabs either act as smart tabs(using the previous maximum number of tabs used) or normal tabs.

Delete works reverse of backspace by greedily consuming all forward spaces

The best way to explain this is to take the following example:

Some line of code
Another line of code

Now suppose I actually need to put these on the same line for some reason:

Without greedy consumption

Some line of code*
^Another line of code

and either using delete at * or backspace at ^ one has to hit the key many times. One ends up eventually with something like this:

Some line of code Another line of code

and then still must continue to hit a number of deletes or backspaces to get this

Some line of code Another line of code

With 100% greedy delete and backspace it takes one keystroke to form the line above.

Another suggestion is "", [], etc pairing. It would be nice if they would only pair IF NO text followed the first ".

For example,

Suppose you had the following lua code

SomeTable = {something}

but needed to covert something to an actual string(maybe you copied an pasted the data from some source without quotes):

What you get with "" pairing after hitting the quote key once is

SomeTable = {""something}

in which case you have to delete the 2nd ". In fact, it would be nice for it to autoquote the whole string OR simply not pair the ""'s.

To do this one simply checks if "text" is right after the insertion point and if it is it either does not pair OR looks for some end of text marker like , ; eol ] } [ { etc...

Basically quote pairing(or whatever it's called) should be more intelligent and decide IF it is starting a new string or altering an additional one.

Thanks for the time...

Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #895868 is a reply to message #895718] Mon, 16 July 2012 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ian Day is currently offline Ian DayFriend
1. Juno support please Smile (we were forced to update eclipse here for Maven support), so now we have to run a separate eclipse and LDT combo. Quite tiresome Sad

2. As others have said, code formatting, completion etc.

3. Tables shouldn't simply say 'table[len]' in variables view, especially if they've a metatable and are not really used as a table in the strictest sense. I tried changing the representative display for them on the client side for classes and such, but the IDE just overrides this at display time.

4. Fix problems with syntax checking. Quite often completely valid code gets flagged as invalid. Usually when various operators are together without space padding. (someVar<-5 etc).
Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #895877 is a reply to message #895868] Mon, 16 July 2012 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Ian,

Quote:
1. Juno support please Smile

Can you clarify what you mean by Juno support? Release 0.8 of Koneki *is* compatible with Juno, so maybe a conflicting dependency in you environment causes an installation problem?

[Updated on: Mon, 16 July 2012 12:19]

Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #896752 is a reply to message #893353] Thu, 19 July 2012 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Debugger Inspector Table display:

Instead of showing sequence[] or table[] how bout you should the actual expansion of the tables if they are "small"? For tables containing tables you can display <table>, {...}, or whatever or even display the values of that table if it is small.

I use a modified print that recursively displays tables using either array and/or key-value pair(it tries to display arrays like arrays and key-values as key-values). It's much easier to see what a table contains when this is done and it would be nice to have similar functionality in the debug inspector window.

It would even be nice if functions and/or other types are looked up for there name and displayed instead of the address or whatever is used.
Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #898689 is a reply to message #896752] Fri, 27 July 2012 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Geary is currently offline Richard GearyFriend
Some suggestions for the debugger :

- Watch window support for tables where the __type metatable value has been set
- In the Variables window, currently it only displays local vars. It would help to show specific global vars that are used by the function, or the current line
- Watch window : For function vars, display the name, file & line of the function, not just its 0x12345678 address
- Support for "Set Instruction Pointer" or "Drop to Frame" if possible
- Attaching : In the luanch window, add a command to be run as soon as the debugger is listening, to give a one-click launch process.
Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #900198 is a reply to message #893353] Sun, 05 August 2012 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahmut Bulut is currently offline Mahmut BulutFriend
Hi uiy uiy;
I rearranged Lua execution environments and from now on i will update continuously for koneki project. If you want updated documentation and execution environment please see http://wiki.eclipse.org/Koneki/LDT/User_Guide in here section named "Execution Environments".
Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #900234 is a reply to message #893353] Mon, 06 August 2012 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lua Bowski is currently offline Lua BowskiFriend
For the next release, it would be great if LDT could:
1) handle content-assist for function arguments. For example if I have a function that takes a specific defined type as a param, that the ctrl-space completion would do a drop-down of field values for that param of that type; such as when the supplied archive library for an API defines a table of number fields for flags/values to use in certain function calls. (ie, the logical equivalent of enums)

2) let modules define global fields in their files, using [parent=#global], and have it show up in content-assist; instead of having to change global.lua to have that field.

3) let modules define tables/types as children of their module table/type, with fields in them, such that content-assist shows those fields. For example if I have a Acme.WeaponType.RayGun which is a number/string/whatever, content-assist should let me do "local foo = Acme.WeaponType.RayGun".
Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #900371 is a reply to message #895718] Mon, 06 August 2012 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scott thompson is currently offline scott thompsonFriend
uiy uiy wrote on Sun, 15 July 2012 05:53
Benjamin:
SomeTable = {""something}

in which case you have to delete the 2nd ". In fact, it would be nice for it to autoquote the whole string OR simply not pair the ""'s.

QT Creator does this. I agree the auto-quotes and bracket stuff is the first thing i turned off. Not helpful. You either have to delete, type, or "right-arrow" past that character anyways..so you haven't saved any key strokes.
Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #900374 is a reply to message #900371] Mon, 06 August 2012 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've searched, but cannot find..so I don't know if the functionality already exists, but...

Compatibility with various Configuration control tools. I would much prefer it to work nicely with Team Foundation Server. Not necessairly checking out source code, but for "tasks" and "bugs" and "issues" and other "work items" to be able to be generated from within Koneki.
Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #900376 is a reply to message #900374] Mon, 06 August 2012 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In Options-> Resources, add a tab for "Undocumented code" that can be parsed by the code-assistant and generated all the time, anywhere. The option should allow me to add a "folder location" and a check box available for "Include all sub-folders"

This would give me the capability to access my "Library" functions. (I use LDT for writing LUA scripts run in a seperate application)
Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #902063 is a reply to message #893353] Wed, 15 August 2012 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Geary is currently offline Richard GearyFriend
[debugger]
When I select a function higher up the stack, it would be helpful to see the values of the variables local to that function in the Expressions window, not just the variables window.
Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #902271 is a reply to message #902063] Thu, 16 August 2012 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Aubry is currently offline Marc AubryFriend
Hi Richard,

I think this is a good feature to have, so I created the following bug:
Bug 387413 - [debugger] The Expressions view shall evaluate expressions in the selected stack level context

Please review the bug to be sure I understand your need and feel free to comment the bug to precise or discuss about it.
Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #931371 is a reply to message #898689] Wed, 03 October 2012 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denis Artemov is currently offline Denis ArtemovFriend
Richard Geary wrote on Fri, 27 July 2012 04:26
- Attaching : In the luanch window, add a command to be run as soon as the debugger is listening, to give a one-click launch process.

+1
Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #955137 is a reply to message #893353] Tue, 23 October 2012 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let's compromise on the content assistant feature.

I have started using the LuaDoc feature, but this still does not allow me to input enough information where my functions show as available in anything but the current .lua file.

So here is the compromise.

If I should choose to write my luadoc in the following way

-- @function [parent=#global] <function_name>

Then by gosh make it truly global and let me access it anywhere with content assist and in the outline. I understand someone will point me to this execution environment thing again, but that just does not solve anything. The easiest solution is if I've gone through all the extra work to document my code in this fasion, then please, give it to me in content assist. I know a sain person writing real software would not create all their function global, but i'm not writing software...i'm writing scripts...so let's make LDT work for every purpose shall we?
Heck, create a "super global" tag or something for the luadoc and let me use that...I don't care...I don't mind going through the work to document every single script function in my library....but right now i have no incentive...
...rant complete..
Thank you.
Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #963188 is a reply to message #955137] Mon, 29 October 2012 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Scott,

We will consider to enhance support of "global" scope in the content assist but the feature plan for the 0.9 is already full, so maybe for the next one.

But keep in mind that providing context assist on a dynamic language is really difficult and some use case allowed by Lua will be impossible to cover with the content assist.

Marc
Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #969083 is a reply to message #963188] Sat, 03 November 2012 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hilman Beyri is currently offline Hilman BeyriFriend
hello, is this the right thread to ask about gideros?

i tried LDT eclipse, and i've used the gideros EE and lua 5.1 EE but it seems i cant use the open declaration feature and the code layout only list the local variable that's defined in the lua file(outside of all functions). am i missing something?

thanks
Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #989977 is a reply to message #969083] Mon, 10 December 2012 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Hilman,

First, sorry for the very late response.

To have more that local variable declarations in the outline, please use the Lua Documentation Language described here : http://wiki.eclipse.org/Koneki/LDT/User_Area/Documentation_Language

Marc
Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #990889 is a reply to message #893353] Fri, 14 December 2012 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Ewert is currently offline Marc EwertFriend
Hi,

if I could make a wish, I would vote for a more extensive outline view. At least the following syntax should be supported:

function Foo:Bar()

Even just the possibility to add my own regular expressions, which should be matched in the outline view would be great. I searched for such an eclipse addon, but unfortunately there isn't such one. Probably it's not possible because each editor has to carry it's own outline view, I guess.
Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #998249 is a reply to message #990889] Wed, 09 January 2013 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Marc,

As the outline is filled with the Lua Documentation Language, you can define your function as you want (with ":" or ".") in the lua code.

Also, the outline is filled from the semantic analysis of the lua code and documentation and not from patterns against the raw file.

Marc

[Updated on: Thu, 10 January 2013 10:09]

Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #1002853 is a reply to message #998249] Sat, 19 January 2013 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Ewert is currently offline Marc EwertFriend
Hi Marc,

that sounds great. I have just tried it, but didn't succeed. Can you give me please a concrete example?

I've tried:

-- some World of Warcraft specific stuff...

-- @module Seller
local Seller = vendor.Seller

-- some other code...

-- @function [parent=#Seller] OnInitialize
function Seller.OnInitialize(self)

But the function OnInitialize doesn't show up in the outline. Did I use the correct notation? Or is the rest of the file influencing the outline view? All local functions in front of OnInitialize are shown correctly. I'm using the latest version of the plugin.

Marc
Re: We want your inputs for the next release of Koneki! [message #1002876 is a reply to message #893353] Sat, 19 January 2013 18:22 Go to previous message

Hey Marc!

Looks like it's simply a matter of not forgetting to indicate which comments in your code are actually documentation comments. This is done by starting your comment with a dash. Usually it'll mean you'll have comments like
--- this

or
--[[- this if you prefer block comments ... ]]

For your sample, the following should work just fine Smile

-- some World of Warcraft specific stuff...

---
-- @module Seller
local Seller = vendor.Seller

-- some other code...

---
-- @function [parent=#Seller] OnInitialize
function Seller.OnInitialize(self)
end

Previous Topic:Several questions about LDT
Next Topic:Thank you for the improvements in 0.9
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:17:29 GMT 2024