Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Eclipse editor features stop working(eclipse editor features stop working in egit repository related project)
Eclipse editor features stop working [message #891755] Mon, 25 June 2012 19:25 Go to next message
Gloria Muse is currently offline Gloria MuseFriend
After installing the egit plugin, and loading my git repository, the eclipse features: syntax error highlighting, auto-complete, and class loading? (showing the details for a function located in a different file, and ability to "Open Declaration") have stopped working. These issues exist while editing PHP files, (debug is happening external to eclipse at this time).

These functions still work in other eclipse "projects" within the same workspace, as long as they are not linked into egit. These functions have only stopped working within the egit related project.

This makes eclipse useless ... I might as well be using Notepad or TextEdit instead.

System:
- MacOS X Lion version 10.7.3
- Version: Helios Release - Build id: 20100617-1415 (Fresh download and install yesterday _ June 24)
- Eclipse EGit 1.3.0.201202151440-r org.eclipse.egit.feature.group
- Eclipse JGit 1.3.0.201202151440-r org.eclipse.jgit.feature.group
- EGit Project Set Support 1.3.0.201202151440-r org.eclipse.egit.psf.feature.group
- Eclipse IDE for PHP Developers 1.3.0.20100617-0520 epp.package.php
- Eclipse Platform 3.6.0.I20100608-0911 org.eclipse.platform.ide
- EPP PHP Feature 1.3.0.20100617-0520 org.eclipse.epp.package.php.feature.feature.group

I also tried copying the folder containing all the code files into a new folder, deleting the files/folders named: .git, .gitignore, and .project, then importing as a new PHP Project "General -> File System", but the eclipse features are not working here either, but they are working in an older version of the code I imported earlier.

I've also attempted the "-clean" option on eclipse startup.

Really confused. Please help. Has anyone else had similar experience?
Is this a true "Bug" that I should report as such?

G
Re: Eclipse editor features stop working [message #891812 is a reply to message #891755] Tue, 26 June 2012 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Lay is currently offline Stefan LayFriend
I'm not aware of such a bug.

Do you see any related entry in the Error Log View?

What happens if you disconnect such a project from EGit (Team -> Disconnect), without or with a restart of eclipse?

Stefan
Re: Eclipse editor features stop working [message #892353 is a reply to message #891812] Wed, 27 June 2012 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for suggesting an action.

I'm somewhat new to eclipse, been using it for a few months, without much incident (just an occasional "out of sync with file system" which I hoped moving the git repository clone into egit would resolve). So, I found the error log view, and there are a few messages, but I cannot be certain if they are related to egit or not. Maybe you can decipher, so the error log export is attached.
The attached error log is from my older version of eclipse. Trying to avoid making my newer version any more messed up than it already is. Same issues in both versions.
Eclipse EGit 1.3.0.201202151440-r org.eclipse.egit.feature.group
Eclipse JGit 1.3.0.201202151440-r org.eclipse.jgit.feature.group
EGit Project Set Support 1.3.0.201202151440-r org.eclipse.egit.psf.feature.group
Eclipse IDE for PHP Developers 1.2.2.20100216-1730 epp.package.php
Eclipse Platform 3.5.2.M20100211-1343 org.eclipse.platform.ide
EPP PHP Feature 1.2.2.20100216-1730 org.eclipse.epp.package.php.feature.feature.group

Disconnect is omitted from the list under Team. There is only "apply patch" and "share project". Instead I tried "remove from repository view". After this the missing functions are working again. But this defeats the purpose of having egit installed, doesn't it?

Note: In my newer version of eclipse (version listed in original post - but egit has been uninstalled), I'm now getting "Processing Dirty Regions" error messages, but only on a few of the files opened in the php editor, and not always. So, I'm now wishing I'd never tried to install egit and clone the repository into eclipse.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

G
Re: Eclipse editor features stop working [message #892433 is a reply to message #892353] Thu, 28 June 2012 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Lay is currently offline Stefan LayFriend
Hi Gloria,

there are some suspicious error messages from php in the log:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.eclipse.php.internal.ui.editor.contentassist.PHPContentAssistant$DirtyModelStateUpdater.textChanged(PHPContentAssistant.java:265)
at org.eclipse.jface.text.TextViewer.updateTextListeners(TextViewer.java:2806)
at org.eclipse.jface.text.TextViewer$VisibleDocumentListener.documentChanged(TextViewer.java:401)

Please ask on the php forum or mailing list about the root cause of this issue.

You wrote:
> These functions have only stopped working within the egit related project.

On the other hand you say:
> Disconnect is omitted from the list under Team. There is only "apply patch" and "share project".

That means that the project is not shared with EGit.

In order to reproduce the error it would be good to know what exactly you are doing. Do you only have imported the Git Repository in the Git Repositories View? Or have you ever shared the eclipse project (i.e. did you see git related entries in the team menu)? This would be done with Team > Share Project. How did you import the project? Do you have the git staging view open (There are some NullPointers from the staging view in the log.)?

Stefan
Re: Eclipse editor features stop working [message #892594 is a reply to message #892433] Thu, 28 June 2012 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Stefan,

Here's the steps that resulted in the php editor functionality to stop working (to summarize the editor issues: no longer highlighted syntax errors; no longer showed details of a method call when the method is in an external file, including inability to "show declaration"; and auto-completion.

1) eclipse was installed in early feburary
2) in eclipse: File->New->New PHP Project
- imported code stored in my local file system that was obtained from git repository via SourceTree
3) worked fine for several months
4) in eclipse: File->New->New PHP Project
- created a new project to hold some temporary files and as a place to test snippets of code
5) installed egit, never used it (uncertain but probably around the April timeframe)
6) in eclipse: File->Import->CVS->git
- provided information for our team's new git repository
- cloned the code into a new folder
*** This is the point at which the issues started happening.

7) downloaded and enabled the latest stable version of eclipse
Cool in eclipse: Help->Install New Software
- entered the egit repository url, and installed
9) did step 5 above, with the same results

After this, I attempted several things, the order I am now uncertain of, and included:
- from repositories view: delete repository (which I think deleted the files within the file system, even though the check box was marked to not do this)
- uninstalled egit
- cloned the new repository using SourceTree and brought it into eclipse for editing using File->New->New PHP Project->General->FileSystem

And, most recently, to try what you suggested regarding "Disconnect", I reloaded the git repository folder. This is where I was unable to locate "Disconnect" as an option. I cannot say if it was there previously or not.

When doing a File->New->Project->CVS->git it seems that the project should already be considered as shared. After doing this, is sharing something I must also do?

My reason for wanting to use egit is that when updated files were pulled using SourceTree, eclipse often complained about "Out of date with File System, click Refresh", and sometimes the "Refresh" was grayed out, and other times I'd still get the out of date message after clicking Refresh.

I'm thinking of starting over with my original download of eclipse (had fewer problems), and give up on using egit. The newer eclipse version is giving me intermittent errors: "Processing Dirty Regions".

I'll also ask in the PHP forum, as you suggest, although due to a coding deadline, it may be a few days.

Thanks so much for your assistance,
G

ps. Our team is small, and I'm the only one using eclipse as my editor. I'd like to have something working to have a compelling argument for them to join me.
Re: Eclipse editor features stop working [message #892644 is a reply to message #891812] Thu, 28 June 2012 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More info on my issues:

Could the underlying issue be my version of java?
- java.version=1.6.0_29

I remember seeing something about a Java version as I was researching "Processing Dirty Regions" error, but cannot find it again.

Thanks,
g
Re: Eclipse editor features stop working [message #893272 is a reply to message #892644] Tue, 03 July 2012 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
I run 1.6.0_29 for some projects, I haven't run into any egit problems like the ones you describe.

re: File->Import->CVS->git,is that an editing error? Why is CVS in here?

There are documented import issues in at least some versions of egit. In general you might want to avoid "File -> Import". Instead add the clone to the Git Repositories view, then right-click the entry and use the "Import Projects..." item in the popup menu.

Re: Eclipse editor features stop working [message #987740 is a reply to message #893272] Tue, 27 November 2012 20:44 Go to previous message
David Mårtensson is currently offline David MårtenssonFriend
I see that this is an somewhat old thread. But I am having the exact same issues. I've been using Eclipse for years now. Im currently on PDT (Eclipse for PHP Developers - Version: Helios Service Release 2 - Build id: 20110301-1815).

If I open a PHP project in my workspace that isn't connected with Git, I can cmd + click to open the decleration.
But this doesn't work in my Git connected project.

I tried to disconnect as suggested, but that did not help.

I removed the project (kept the files) and then deleted .buildpath, .git, .project and .settings. Created a new PHP project and pointed it to my source files. (Which is outside of my workspace). Didnt help either.

I removed the project again. Kept the files. Created a new, empty, project inside my workspace. Copied all the files into it. Refreshed. Still nothing... Neutral

I created a new project in the workspace. Created a new php file. And still the function isn't working. So now I'm at that all old projects (pre Egit installation) works. And all after doesn't. But obviously I can't be 100% sure that it's because of Egit. :-/
But regardless of what I do. Autocomplete and open declaration is no where to be find on new projects. But still works as expected on all old projects.

So. Yeah. Nothing good to add. I'm gonna try Zend Studio now. And maybe try a clean PDT installation. If I find anything more to add I'll come back.
Previous Topic:Wrong remotes are used in PHP Explorer View
Next Topic:Build cloned files ? Build button grayed out...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:40:59 GMT 2024