Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » Opa(Beating EDT to the punch)
Opa [message #890279] Thu, 21 June 2012 17:53 Go to next message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend
Even with the big lead that EDT had over Opa, it looks like Opa is first to make it to a "1.0" state:

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/12/06/21/1530251/opa-10-released

http://opalang.org/

Check out this quote about Opa in InfoWord's "10 programming languages that could shake up IT" (January 3, 2012):

"Web development is too complicated. Even the simplest Web app requires countless lines of code in multiple languages: HTML and JavaScript on the client, Java or PHP on the server, SQL in the database, and so on.

Opa doesn't replace any of these languages individually. Rather, it seeks to eliminate them all at once, by proposing an entirely new paradigm for Web programming. In an Opa application, the client-side UI, server-side logic, and database I/O are all implemented in a single language, Opa."

Opa gets press all the time and is hailed as having introduced this "new paradigm for Web programming".

If EDT is ever going to be more than just an academic exercise for IBM and a few partners then someone on the project team with some media savvy is going to have to start getting the word out. I do what I can to publish articles on EDT/EGL and I did manage to get EDT a Slashdot mention but it seems strangely like there is practically radio silence from the actual project team when it comes to getting EDT in front of the developer community at large.

Any thoughts from the project team or others about this?

--Dan
Re: Opa [message #890628 is a reply to message #890279] Fri, 22 June 2012 17:38 Go to previous message
Theresa Ramsey is currently offline Theresa RamseyFriend
Hi Dan,
I agree that we could do a better job of sharing the good news about the work we've been doing. The development team is made up of heads-down types that love to code, and are not so much into horn tooting. (Plus, they are busy coding RBD and EDT at the same time, as well as supporting clients.) I'll pass your comment on to the non-dev types that are more likely to be involved in promotion of EDT.

That being said, it's not just IBM that needs to talk about the value of EGL and EDT. Saying something is great is more believable when it comes from the people using it really than the people making it. Smile We certainly appreciate all you do to help get to the word out on EGL and EDT! The more folks that help get the word out, the better!

There were some great presentations at IBM Innovate on how business partners and customers are using EGL. (I'll blog on the EGL Cafe about it.) There are also a number of success stories listed on the EGL Cafe. You could use more mainstream press coverage on things like this.

Thanks for your input.
Theresa
Previous Topic:Highlighting for EGL primitive types removed
Next Topic:No such Method error when using call...using
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:21:39 GMT 2024