Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Using CNF in E4 application(Using CNF in E4 application)
Using CNF in E4 application [message #889786] Tue, 19 June 2012 15:12 Go to next message
Neeraj Bhusare is currently offline Neeraj BhusareFriend
Hi,
I need to make use of the Common Navigator Framework (CNF) in an RCP application that is based on E4 (makes use of DI and the application model). I have looked at the SimpleIDE plugin "org.eclipse.e4.demo.simpleide.navigator". Can I use this as a reference while investigating the CNF + E4 usecase? Are there any pointers specific to the use of CNF on E4 based applications? I have looked through the forum but I haven't found anything specific (other than the use of comparability layer).
Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Best regards, Neeraj

Twitter : @NeerajBhusare
Blog : https://nbhusare.github.io/
Best regards, Neeraj
Re: Using CNF in E4 application [message #889958 is a reply to message #889786] Wed, 20 June 2012 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian de Alwis is currently offline Brian de AlwisFriend
Anything in the org.eclipse.ui.* bundles currently requires org.eclipse.ui or lui.workbench, and so can only be used with the compatibility layer for 4.2. We'll be looking to relax these dependencies for 4.3. In the meantime, you could checkout the code and start down that path yourself -- the general approach is to remove the dependencies and move common requirements into org.eclipse.ui.workbench3, which should only depend on JFace and thus be accessible to both o.e.e4 without requiring the compat layer.

Brian.
Re: Using CNF in E4 application [message #890012 is a reply to message #889958] Wed, 20 June 2012 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply. For now, I would prefer to make use of the compatibility layer. With the current state of E4, is it appropriate to do something like - setting the View (extending o.e.u.navigator.CommonNavigator) in the application model "Part#Class URI" field. Is this handled by the compatibility layer?

I have seen this article , but it talks about integrating/injecting E4 components in the application model (Option 3) using various approaches. I doubt if this could be used in my case.

Best regards, Neeraj

Best regards, Neeraj
Re: Using CNF in E4 application [message #890044 is a reply to message #890012] Wed, 20 June 2012 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Neeraj Mising name wrote on Wed, 20 June 2012 10:56
With the current state of E4, is it appropriate to do something like - setting the View (extending o.e.u.navigator.CommonNavigator) in the application model "Part#Class URI" field. Is this handled by the compatibility layer?

No, that won't work: the object in the Class URI is assumed to be an injectable POJO that responds to @PostCreate, etc. The IWorkbenchPart implementations (ViewPart, EditorPart) assume certain setup items to be done. What you're trying to achieve isn't officially supported at the moment: if you want to have a view shown at X, you need to use E3.X APIs create a perspective definition, etc.

Unofficially you can try creating to recreate the situation created by the compatibility layer: use the live model editor and look at the tags, persistentState, transientState, and see how it's done. But don't be surprised if it breaks :-/

Brian.
Re: Using CNF in E4 application [message #890090 is a reply to message #890044] Thu, 21 June 2012 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks. Any plans of officially supporting the above usecase in E4.3? Also, when is the 4.3 release scheduled?

Best regards, Neeraj

Best regards, Neeraj
Re: Using CNF in E4 application [message #890196 is a reply to message #890090] Thu, 21 June 2012 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

In 4.3 we are planning to start decoupling some of the Workbench services and views, so they can be more easily consumed by Eclipse 4 apps. But it will take time, and I doubt the CNF will be done in the 4.3 timeframe (unless that was someone's full time mission).

4.3 will be released with Kepler, June 2013

PW

Re: Using CNF in E4 application [message #890199 is a reply to message #890090] Thu, 21 June 2012 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse releases are annual, so 4.3 will be out next June. Untangling CNF in particular is not on any plans that I'm aware of. If it's important to you then you will definitely hasten the acceleration by starting to work on it yourself. Even reporting that some exploratory work showed that it was easy or hard is valuable.

See the following URL for details on how to contribute:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform_UI/How_to_Contribute

And feel free to ask questions either here or on the #eclipse-e4 channel on irc.freenet.net

Brian.
Re: Using CNF in E4 application [message #890203 is a reply to message #890199] Thu, 21 June 2012 12:47 Go to previous message
Thanks.

Best regards, Neeraj

Best regards, Neeraj
Previous Topic:Unzip of Eclipse4.2 64 bit fails
Next Topic:SplashHandler / interactive splash screen
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:51:20 GMT 2024