Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » How to set up external Oracle database(I'd like to know how to set up an external Oracle DB to be used by Jubula)
How to set up external Oracle database [message #889667] Tue, 19 June 2012 13:08 Go to next message
Michael Zwick is currently offline Michael ZwickFriend
Hi,

after checking out Jubula with the out-of-the-box embedded database (and finally being able to connect to my Swing application and writing some dummy tests and having some fun with it Smile ) I'd like to get closer to a real test setup.
In a first step I'd like to use an external Oracle database (as recommended) as platform to save my tests under development. In a second step I'd also like to setup an Oracle database as productive test database. I hope, that's the appropriate procedure, right?

So, my questions are:

1. The DBA would provide me with an out-of-the-box enterprise edition Oracle databases. He asks, which components are needed (Java etc.)?
2. Which schema has to be there?
3. Can the tests exported from the embedded DB then be imported into the external Oracle DB to be available there? I assume, that's possible.

As you can see from my questions the complete setup process isn't clear to me at all. Do I have to reinstall Jubula and during installation select Oracle external DB to be guided through the database setup etc.? I checked the installation instructions, but couldn't find further details...

Thank you,
Mike
Re: How to set up external Oracle database [message #889693 is a reply to message #889667] Tue, 19 June 2012 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Achim Loerke is currently offline Achim LoerkeFriend

Hi Mike,

just a few short answers to your questions from a technical perspective (testers may add some organizational topics):

1) Jubula doesn't need any special features in the database system. If you want to use UTF-16 encoded data (asian language support) you have to configure this for the Oracle instance you are using. Some hints are provided in the Install Manual available from the Jubula documentation page.

2) You need an empty schema (or be prepared to loose all your data Smile). Jubula will create all the tables etc. it needs during the first connection.

3) You can import the project(s) exported from the embedded db in every other supported db (as long as you have the same or a newer Jubula version installed).

To access an Oracle DB you have to choose "Preferences", select the "Test/Database Connections" tab and click "Add" to get the DB registration dialog. Select Oracle from the combo box and provide the necessary data for your db instance. Afterwards you can choose this connection in the "Select Database" dialog or when you start working with projects.

Achim
Re: How to set up external Oracle database [message #889882 is a reply to message #889693] Wed, 20 June 2012 07:10 Go to previous message
Michael Zwick is currently offline Michael ZwickFriend
Thank you Achim,
I was successful connecting to an Oracle DB with empty schema and Jubula did the rest. Export and import of existing tests worked fine, too.
Michael
Previous Topic:Is there solution for the composites unknown?
Next Topic:Does Jubula need Server X to perform the test?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:08:54 GMT 2024