Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Redirect console to file
Redirect console to file [message #889417] Tue, 19 June 2012 08:05 Go to next message
Martin Lange is currently offline Martin LangeFriend

Hi,

I have seen that it is possible to redirect the console output to a file (Run Configuration > Common > Standard Input and Output).

What I like to have is a redirect to a file named FILENAME_<timestamp>.log. So the question is, how can I add the current timestamp to the filename?

Thanks & Best regards,
Martin
Re: Redirect console to file [message #895093 is a reply to message #889417] Wed, 11 July 2012 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Rennie is currently offline Michael RennieFriend
Currently there is no way to do this, although I could envision using a variable to be able to insert such a value.

I opened bug https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=384844 for this enhancement. Once fixed you would be able to add a file name like FILENAME_${current_time}.log and debug you insert the value for you automatically.

Thanks for the great idea Martin!
Re: Redirect console to file [message #895119 is a reply to message #889417] Wed, 11 July 2012 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Lange is currently offline Martin LangeFriend

Michael,

to my shame I have to admit that I forgot this topic in the meanwhile.

I have implemented a dynamic variable for the timestamp already and use this every day. I will add the source code to the 'bug', you have created.

--Martin
Re: Redirect console to file [message #1727862 is a reply to message #895119] Mon, 28 March 2016 17:04 Go to previous message
Waji Sd is currently offline Waji SdFriend
Thank You Martin,

I have eclipse Mar 2 package, which has variable name called current_date and the format of this is YYYYMMDD_HHMI. This is very cool feature for debugging without worrying about manual rotation of log files.

Appreciate your help.
Previous Topic:Error while installing Angularjs plugin
Next Topic:Websockets and firewalls
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:11:13 GMT 2024