Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » [CDO] NPE on commit
[CDO] NPE on commit [message #886406] Thu, 14 June 2012 21:38 Go to next message
Per Sterner is currently offline Per SternerFriend
Hello,

Until now I can't locate the problem (and minimize the context).

I have upgraded from CDO 4.0 to 4.1.

Sometimes (reproducable) I get this stacktrace

Caused by: org.eclipse.net4j.signal.RemoteException: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.RequestWithConfirmation.getRemoteException(RequestWithConfirmation.java:139)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.RequestWithConfirmation.setRemoteException(RequestWithConfirmation.java:128)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.SignalProtocol.handleRemoteException(SignalProtocol.java:460)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.RemoteExceptionIndication.indicating(RemoteExceptionIndication.java:63)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.Indication.doExtendedInput(Indication.java:55)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.Signal.doInput(Signal.java:326)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.Indication.execute(Indication.java:49)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.Signal.runSync(Signal.java:251)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.Signal.run(Signal.java:147)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
	... 1 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.internal.common.protocol.CDODataOutputImpl.writeCDOBranch(CDODataOutputImpl.java:139)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.internal.common.protocol.CDODataOutputImpl.writeCDOIDAndBranch(CDODataOutputImpl.java:378)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.internal.common.protocol.CDODataOutputImpl.writeCDOLockState(CDODataOutputImpl.java:287)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.server.internal.net4j.protocol.CommitTransactionIndication.respondingNewLockStates(CommitTransactionIndication.java:343)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.server.internal.net4j.protocol.CommitTransactionIndication.responding(CommitTransactionIndication.java:277)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.server.internal.net4j.protocol.CDOServerIndicationWithMonitoring.responding(CDOServerIndicationWithMonitoring.java:170)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.IndicationWithMonitoring.responding(IndicationWithMonitoring.java:90)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.IndicationWithResponse.doExtendedOutput(IndicationWithResponse.java:96)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.Signal.doOutput(Signal.java:296)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.IndicationWithResponse.execute(IndicationWithResponse.java:65)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.IndicationWithMonitoring.execute(IndicationWithMonitoring.java:63)
	... 5 more

I am using H2. Audit and Branching is OFF. EMF Runtime Version 2.6.

- In this example I only modify 3 Objects
- Only references are set (no containment)
- Some references are added to a list (no containment)

Perhaps somebody has a hint why there is a NPE in "org.eclipse.emf.cdo.internal.common.protocol.CDODataOutputImpl.writeCDOBranch"?

(I'm continuing to produce a simple context for my problem)

Regards,
Per Sterner
Re: [CDO] NPE on commit [message #886884 is a reply to message #886406] Fri, 15 June 2012 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With 'emf-cdo-S20120605-0730-Site.zip' (and the previous release) the problem occurs.

With 'emf-cdo-R20120214-1026-Site.zip' it works.
Re: [CDO] NPE on commit [message #887118 is a reply to message #886884] Sat, 16 June 2012 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Hi Per,

Sorry for the late reply. We're all still busy with release preps.

I must admin that I think I've seen this exception before. It occurs very infrequently on the Hudson build server while
executing the tests. Unfortunately we've never been able to reproduce it or find the root cause from looking at the
stack traces.

Were glad about every piece of information that you can contribute.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Am 15.06.2012 21:33, schrieb Per Sterner:
> With 'emf-cdo-S20120605-0730-Site.zip' (and the previous release) the problem occurs.
>
> With 'emf-cdo-R20120214-1026-Site.zip' it works.

Re: [CDO] NPE on commit [message #888756 is a reply to message #887118] Mon, 18 June 2012 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The error only occurs in my situation if I have the property IRepository.Props.ENSURE_REFERENTIAL_INTEGRITY set.

I have set an breakpoint at
org.eclipse.emf.cdo.server.internal.net4j.protocol.CommitTransactionIndication.respondingNewLockStates(CommitTransactionIndication.java:343)
The first time the program enters that code, the error occurs. The argument passed to 'writeCDOLockState' is from the type 'DeltaLockWrapper'. The attributes are 'delta' with the type CDORevisionDeltaImpl and the attribute 'key' with the type 'CDOIDObjectLongImpl'. The 'getBranch' from 'DeltaLockWrapper' returns in this case 'null'(beacause 'key' is not from the type 'CDOIDAndBranch').

Now a 'null' is passed as branch at 'org.eclipse.emf.cdo.internal.common.protocol.CDODataOutputImpl.writeCDOIDAndBranch(CDODataOutputImpl.java:378)'
Re: [CDO] NPE on commit [message #888858 is a reply to message #888756] Mon, 18 June 2012 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Am 18.06.2012 17:31, schrieb Per Sterner:
> The error only occurs in my situation if I have the property IRepository.Props.ENSURE_REFERENTIAL_INTEGRITY set.
>
>
> I have set an breakpoint at
> org.eclipse.emf.cdo.server.internal.net4j.protocol.CommitTransactionIndication.respondingNewLockStates(CommitTransactionIndication.java:343)
> The first time the program enters that code, the error occurs. The argument passed to 'writeCDOLockState' is from the
> type 'DeltaLockWrapper'. The attributes are 'delta' with the type CDORevisionDeltaImpl and the attribute 'key' with
> the type 'CDOIDObjectLongImpl'. The 'getBranch' from 'DeltaLockWrapper' returns in this case 'null'(beacause 'key' is
> not from the type 'CDOIDAndBranch').
>
> Now a 'null' is passed as branch at
> 'org.eclipse.emf.cdo.internal.common.protocol.CDODataOutputImpl.writeCDOIDAndBranch(CDODataOutputImpl.java:378)'
Thanks for the detailed description. I think I see the root cause now and I'm able to fix it. Can you please submit a
bugzilla so that I can commit the changes?

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Re: [CDO] NPE on commit [message #889448 is a reply to message #888858] Tue, 19 June 2012 08:42 Go to previous message
Bugzilla: 382938
Previous Topic:[CDO] setting a reference feature unique not allowed while advised in performance tip
Next Topic:[EMF] Base Ecore and extending one.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:37:05 GMT 2024