Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » Data entry testing strategies
Data entry testing strategies [message #885751] Wed, 13 June 2012 14:30
Timothy Vogel is currently offline Timothy VogelFriend
One of the forms in my RCP application is data entry focused, mostly numeric data. I am working on a use case for testing "heads down data entry", i.e. a user is looking at a paper form and entering the data using the keyboard and tab. I wanted to see if others have different approaches than what I am using for some aspects of the use case.

There are 50+ fields of information. The form shows/hides and enables/disables some of the fields based on others. A primary success criteria for this UC test is that the tab key advances to the correct field based on data already entered. Given the number of different combinations of visible fields, it is not practical to come up with a separate test for each one. If there was a "scripting" logic capability, I could do some basic looping and if/then tests. But I haven't seen this capability in any of the documentation.

The test pauses for aproximately 2 seconds between fields. The sequence I am using is:
- tab between fields - Key combination; Application; Tab
- enter text into current field (without specifying the compentent by name) - ub_app_externalInputText

Text based steps do not work on spinner controls. I have tried Actions of Replace Text and Input Text with Component Types of Text Field and Component with Text Input. These fail with Configuration Error. The log file is empty.

Thanks for reading and thinking about my request.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 June 2012 21:49]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Running AUTs View
Next Topic:Advanced Settings for AUT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 18:13:24 GMT 2024