Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EPF » Use Outside of Software Development
icon3.gif  Use Outside of Software Development [message #885410] Wed, 13 June 2012 00:06 Go to next message
Bryan Beswick is currently offline Bryan BeswickFriend
Sorry if this has already been asked. I'm new to EPF. Would it be possible to use the EPF Composer to construct an entirely new framework that documents a body of knowledge completely different from software development?

I've got an opportunity to assemble best practices, roles, checklists, tasks, workflows, guidelines, etc around successful business management and operations. I see a lot of parallels between software engineering and business management in that they both have these types of things - only the details are different. I would really like to be able to produce a powerful cross-linked mechanism like OpenUp but about business leadership, management and operations. The problem is:

1) I don't know if the EPF Composer tool is flexible enough to handle that scenario
2) I don't have a clue where to start - most examples talk about adding a plugin that extends the OpenUp existing framework.

Your sage wisdom is appreciated!

[Updated on: Wed, 13 June 2012 00:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Use Outside of Software Development [message #885492 is a reply to message #885410] Wed, 13 June 2012 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Onno van der Straaten is currently offline Onno van der StraatenFriend
That is possible. For examples it will be useful to also look at Rational Method Composer (RMC) which is the product IBM developed on top of EPF.

This is one example http:--www.ibm.com-developerworks-rational-library-edge-08-jul08-peraire-index.html of where it was used for something else than software development.

The following PDF might be interesting read for you
http:--alarcos.inf-cr.uclm.es-Alarnet-presentacion-Documentos-2011-IEEE%20Software-Garc%C3%ADa.pdf

The Eclipse forums don't allow posting links so you will have to recreate my links by replacing - with /.

Re: Use Outside of Software Development [message #901886 is a reply to message #885492] Tue, 14 August 2012 21:34 Go to previous message
Flavelle Ballem is currently offline Flavelle BallemFriend
Hi Bryan:

You weren't very specific about what you are documenting, so please take this as encouragement. I am currently using EPF to document the operation of a very complex credit application system for a bank. The key was to start from scratch. The following structure is what we are using, and it seems to be working fairly well:

base.common - contains common information, such as the glossary, the copyright page, and welcome information. It also contains how-to and business background information. Most of the content here is setup as guidelines - including concepts and term definitions. I have packages defined within to allow for grouping of these items.
base.
base.forms - contains information about the various forms that are produced. The forms are prepared as Work Products. I use Guidelines (checklists) to provide additional information.
base.navigation - contains custom categories used to setup the views on the menu of the resulting website.
base.processes - contains the information about the tasks and processes that are done through the system
base.products - contains the information about the products that are processed through the system - such as the various types of loans.
base.roles - contains the information about the various roles - both people and systems - that are involved in the processes.
base.screens - contains the information about the various screens that are used - including sample screenshots. The screens are prepared as work products. If there is additional information required, then these are prepared as guidelines - primarly checklists.
base.security - contains the information about the different types of security that can be attached to products.

I warn you that it is tedious, and does require some trial and error, but the effort is worth it. Set up categories within each group that make sense and associate them with the items. For example, we have forms that print through an application called OCP while other forms are prepared by a specific department. So I have two categories - OCP Form and non-OCP Form that I attach to the form item.

I would offer to share, but it is bank proprietary, so I'm afraid that I can't. Hopefully, this gives you some idea of how to approach the problem.

Regards,
Previous Topic:Image size
Next Topic:EPF Composer on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:00:35 GMT 2024