Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » [CDO] Procedure for building the CDO server deployment packages
[CDO] Procedure for building the CDO server deployment packages [message #882692] Thu, 07 June 2012 01:49 Go to next message
Warwick Burrows is currently offline Warwick BurrowsFriend
Hi guys,

I have the CDO 4.1 (master) branch extracted and the plugin projects have been created in my workspaces and the classes are resolving what they need to build automatically. I'd like to know what the next steps are to build a CDO server deployment package for linux x86_64 like those available on the CDO download site. I've found the cdo.server.product-feature plugin and tried to export that as a product but got this error:

An error occurred while collecting items to be installed session context was:(profile=profile, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Collect, operand=, action=).
No repository found containing: osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.emf.cdo.server.db,4.1.0.v20120308-0526

It's not finding the dependencies to do the export and also doesn't automatically resolve and build the dependencies. At this point I haven't run any buckminster actions since importing this fresh source installation so its basically new.

So what are the steps that I need to do to build/marshal everything into the right place before exporting the CDO server product? If there's a document somewhere I can look at that would be great.

Thanks,
Warwick

Re: [CDO] Procedure for building the CDO server deployment packages [message #882736 is a reply to message #882692] Thu, 07 June 2012 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Am 07.06.2012 03:49, schrieb Warwick Burrows:
> Hi guys,
> I have the CDO 4.1 (master) branch extracted and the plugin projects have been created in my workspaces and the
> classes are resolving what they need to build automatically.
Please remember to switch to the streams/4.1-maintenance, once it exists, unless you want to silently switch to 4.2 soon.

> I'd like to know what the next steps are to build a CDO server deployment package for linux x86_64 like those
> available on the CDO download site. I've found the cdo.server.product-feature plugin and tried to export that as a
> product but got this error:
>
> An error occurred while collecting items to be installed session context was:(profile=profile,
> phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Collect, operand=, action=).
> No repository found containing: osgi.bundle,org.eclipse.emf.cdo.server.db,4.1.0.v20120308-0526
>
> It's not finding the dependencies to do the export and also doesn't automatically resolve and build the dependencies.
> At this point I haven't run any buckminster actions since importing this fresh source installation so its basically new.
>
> So what are the steps that I need to do to build/marshal everything into the right place before exporting the CDO
> server product? If there's a document somewhere I can look at that would be great.
We're generating the products as part of our build in /org.eclipse.emf.cdo.releng/build.xml (last Ant target). IIRC.,
it's done with the p2 Director: http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/guide/p2_director.html

There's also other documentation about creating products:
http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/guide/product.htm

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Re: [CDO] Procedure for building the CDO server deployment packages [message #883177 is a reply to message #882692] Fri, 08 June 2012 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Warwick Burrows is currently offline Warwick BurrowsFriend
Hi Eike and other CDO committers,

Thanks for your help getting this build working. I really appreciate it. I wasn't able to work on it much today but I've made it a little further Smile I looked into the build.xml and tried to run the site.p2 target and got an error that I didn't have ant contrib available so I created the /develop/bin directory, pulled down the right version of ant contrib and extracted the jar.

The next problem I have is that it looks like it needs hudson as there are hudson variables everywhere in the build.xml that weren't replaced in my execution of the ant build. BUT I then noticed the "hudson" directory under the releng plugin which contains a hudson build simulation launch configuration and a hudson.ant file that seems to simulate a site.p2 build with hudson - is that correct? Can you help me understand how hudson fits into the build as I'm not sure exactly what else needs to be done to fully simulate hudson. So my questions are:

- Can I run the "Simulate Hudson Build.launch" too?

- There is a workspace.zip file under "hudson". Do I need to copy the plugins from the workspace.zip to my CDO 4.1 master branch workspace; or only the plugins that I don't already have there? Or do I even need to use workspace.zip at all?

- There are the following properties in hudson.ant. Should these values be changed to to the workspace path in eclipse that I've pulled the CDO 4.1 master branch down to; or should I just leave these values as they are?

<property name="hudson.root" value="/develop/ws/cdo/releng/hudson" />
<property name="checkout" value="/develop/ws/cdo" />

- There's a config.url file in there which contains a url to the eclipse hudson server. When I open it it gives me a login page and I don't see a way to create an account. Is this only for committers? Does it matter to the build whether I have access to this url?

Thanks,
Warwick

Re: [CDO] Procedure for building the CDO server deployment packages [message #883218 is a reply to message #883177] Fri, 08 June 2012 04:22 Go to previous message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Am 08.06.2012 03:30, schrieb Warwick Burrows:
> Hi Eike and other CDO committers,
>
> Thanks for your help getting this build working. I really appreciate it.
You're welcome ;-)

> I wasn't able to work on it much today but I've made it a little further :) I looked into the build.xml and tried to
> run the site.p2 target and got an error that I didn't have ant contrib available so I created the /develop/bin
> directory, pulled down the right version of ant contrib and extracted the jar.
Yes, Antcontrib is required.

> The next problem I have is that it looks like it needs hudson as there are hudson variables everywhere in the
> build.xml that weren't replaced in my execution of the ant build. BUT I then noticed the "hudson" directory under the
> releng plugin which contains a hudson build simulation launch configuration and a hudson.ant file that seems to
> simulate a site.p2 build with hudson - is that correct?
Yes, that was the original intention. But I've not tried this simulation launch for quite some while. Instead I tend to
operate a local Hudson instance.

> Can you help me understand how hudson fits into the build as I'm not sure exactly what else needs to be done to fully
> simulate hudson. So my questions are:
>
> - Can I run the "Simulate Hudson Build.launch" too?
No guarantees. If you play with it and have fixes, I could certainly apply them for you.

> - There is a workspace.zip file under "hudson". Do I need to copy the plugins from the workspace.zip to my CDO 4.1
> master branch workspace; or only the plugins that I don't already have there? Or do I even need to use workspace.zip
> at all?
I don't think there are plugins in it. The workspace.zip does only exist to initialize some preferences for the
Buckminster build. IIRC., things like proxy settings and so:

<macrodef name="buckminster">
<attribute name="command" />
<attribute name="workspace" default="${ws}" />
<element name="sysproperties" optional="true" />
<element name="globargs" optional="true" />
<element name="cmdargs" optional="true" />
<sequential>
<eclipse.launch app="buckminster">
<properties>
<sysproperty key="bugfix.288796" value="true" />
<sysproperties />
</properties>
<args>
<jvmarg value="-Xmx4096m" />
<jvmarg value="-Dsite.pack200=${site.signing}" />
<jvmarg value="-Declipse.p2.mirrors=false" />
<jvmarg value="-Declipse.p2.unsignedPolicy=allow" />
<jvmarg value="-Dgit.clone=${git.clone}" />
*<arg value="-data" />*
*<arg value="@{workspace}" />*
<arg value="--loglevel" />
<arg value="${hudson.LOGLEVEL}" />
<arg value="--displaystacktrace" />
<globargs />
<arg value="@{command}" />
<arg value="-P" />
<arg value="${properties.tmp}" />
<cmdargs />
</args>
</eclipse.launch>
</sequential>
</macrodef>

> - There are the following properties in hudson.ant. Should these values be changed to to the workspace path in eclipse
> that I've pulled the CDO 4.1 master branch down to; or should I just leave these values as they are?
>
> <property name="hudson.root" value="/develop/ws/cdo/releng/hudson" />
> <property name="checkout" value="/develop/ws/cdo" />
I'm afraid that I don't remember exactly. The latter seems to come from SVN (or even CVS?) times. Is it used in build.xml?

> - There's a config.url file in there which contains a url to the eclipse hudson server. When I open it it gives me a
> login page and I don't see a way to create an account. Is this only for committers?
Hudson in general and our build jobs allow for public read access. Write access is reserved for committers of the
project. Maybe you just have to replace https by http?

> Does it matter to the build whether I have access to this url?
No, I think that was just a helper for myself because I tend to forget how to use Hudson's REST API :P

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Previous Topic:[CDO] Transactions, Resource sets and sessions
Next Topic:Features UML Model can't be expressed ina Ecore Model
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:55:15 GMT 2024