Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » Displaying PDFs from IBM i(How to display)
Displaying PDFs from IBM i [message #881603] Mon, 04 June 2012 22:27 Go to next message
Billy Weeks is currently offline Billy WeeksFriend
Following examples, I have an EGL program that sends data to an IBM i.
Based on that data I want to return a PDF file on the IFS drive.

The Rich UI will not be running on the Iseries server.

What is the best method to return that PDF to the Rich UI, so it can display the PDF ?

[Updated on: Mon, 04 June 2012 22:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Displaying PDFs from IBM i [message #881720 is a reply to message #881603] Tue, 05 June 2012 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trond Einar Nilsen is currently offline Trond Einar NilsenFriend
Hi Billy,

I am not sure if you want to download the PDF from the iSeries or just display the content. A week ago I tried to find out a way to display the PDF in Rich UI, but I did not manage to do that. To download the PDF was easy following this example (workes fine from iSeries even if the Tomcat Apache runs on another server):

https: //www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/3e2b35ae-d3b1-4008-adee-2b31d4be5c92/entry/how_to_pop_up_a_pdf?lang=en (remove the blank)

The solution in my case was to convert the PDF to a JPG image that was shown in Rich UI (the PDF was only one page). I would also like to know if someone has found a way to display the PDF directly.

Rgds Trond
Re: Displaying PDFs from IBM i [message #881986 is a reply to message #881603] Tue, 05 June 2012 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Billy Weeks is currently offline Billy WeeksFriend

The Rich UI won't have access to the Iseries IFS drive where the PDF resides.

I was wondering if I needed to return the bytes that make up the PDF into a variable, and pass it to a wiget to display ? Or save it locally as a pdf, then try to open it using an IFRAME ?

Looking for best practice.
Re: Displaying PDFs from IBM i [message #882007 is a reply to message #881986] Tue, 05 June 2012 16:06 Go to previous message
Richard Moulton is currently offline Richard MoultonFriend
I've not tried it myself but you should be able to link to the IFS using a HyperLink widget, you just need to get the URL correct. There's a post on the IBM EGL Cafe forum that should help, I can't post links yet (I've not posted 25 messages yet) but once on the forum if you search for "link ifs" you should find it.

Richard

Previous Topic:Gridlayout in datagrid
Next Topic:Continue getting "Can't find bundle for base name ..., locale en_US" problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 10:54:15 GMT 2024