Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Breakpoint actions in java (like c++)
Breakpoint actions in java (like c++) [message #880865] Sun, 03 June 2012 07:28 Go to next message
Esam Bustaty is currently offline Esam BustatyFriend
I am using eclipse to develop for android, I noticed a great feature for Eclipse CDT: actions for a breakpoint, which allow me to perform wide range of a actions when a specific breakpoint is hit.
Unfortunately, this feature isn't available for JDT, so I wanted to hear from you about it...
Re: Breakpoint actions in java (like c++) [message #880895 is a reply to message #880865] Sun, 03 June 2012 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
it is available, just Eclipse calls it a "condition". See, e.g., Deepak's blog post at http://blog.deepakazad.com/2010/06/print-points-debugging-by-writing-to.html

Note, that the trick he calls PrintPoints is not restricted to sysout actions.

Stephan
Re: Breakpoint actions in java (like c++) [message #881359 is a reply to message #880895] Mon, 04 June 2012 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice workaround, but C++ breakpoint actions allow me to add "External Tool Action" which can be a shell script or so...
it might be strange but android native code debugging drove me insane. i need to start java code debugging, and make it break at a specific function, then I call a script named ndk-gdb, and after that i start native debugging, at last i continue execution (which was paused on the last breakpoint).
that's too much to do every time i need to debug, so i'm looking for some way to automate these steps.
thanks for your response.
Re: Breakpoint actions in java (like c++) [message #881366 is a reply to message #881359] Mon, 04 June 2012 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satyam Kandula is currently offline Satyam KandulaFriend
You can call Runtime.getRuntime().exec() to create any process and I think you should be able to do that..
Re: Breakpoint actions in java (like c++) [message #881450 is a reply to message #880865] Mon, 04 June 2012 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Rennie is currently offline Michael RennieFriend
Here is a link to the documentation about the 'breakpoint actions' feature in CDT:

http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.cdt.doc.user%2Ftasks%2Fcdt_t_add_brk_action.htm

We also have a bug to move this support to the platform:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=295658
Re: Breakpoint actions in java (like c++) [message #881827 is a reply to message #880865] Tue, 05 June 2012 10:16 Go to previous message
Satyam Kandula wrote on Mon, 04 June 2012 08:18
You can call Runtime.getRuntime().exec() to create any process and I think you should be able to do that..

Thanks, but this executes on the device not on the computer I'm using for debugging.
(to debug android apps eclipse uses some kind of remote debugging)
Quote:
We also have a bug to move this support to the platform:

good news that it exists, bad news is that it's been there since 2009!

so thank you guys it's like i have to wait for Google to enhance their development process
Previous Topic:Recompile JSP on change
Next Topic:Apply rename refactoring to a dependent project (script)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 07:18:44 GMT 2024