Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Virgo Startup Problem
Virgo Startup Problem [message #879692] Thu, 31 May 2012 16:52 Go to next message
Marco Dubacher is currently offline Marco DubacherFriend
I'm in a project where we use Virgo. The project is pretty big meaning we have like 200 bundles.

With Virgo 2.1 we encountered the problem that the server didn't always startup. It was a chance of 20% that the startup won't succeed because of Virgo internal issues(service resolution, deadlock etc.).

We moved now to Virgo 3.0.3 hoping that this problem would be solved. But unfortunately it isn't. Still the same issues.

As the problem is not reproducible I think it's a race condition because of multi-threaded startup.

Is there someone having the same problem?
Are there possibilities to change the startup behavior?

Thanks for any hints.

- Marco
Re: Virgo Startup Problem [message #879702 is a reply to message #879692] Thu, 31 May 2012 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Marco,

Am I correct in assuming that you've also experimented with Virgo 3.5.0 milestones? Any performance improvements there?

Miles

[Updated on: Thu, 31 May 2012 17:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Virgo Startup Problem [message #879710 is a reply to message #879702] Thu, 31 May 2012 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marco Dubacher is currently offline Marco DubacherFriend
I haven't tried Virgo 3.5.0 yet.

Has the bundle loading changed between virgo 3.0.3 and virgo 3.5.0?
Do you know of startup problems?
Re: Virgo Startup Problem [message #880022 is a reply to message #879710] Fri, 01 June 2012 09:38 Go to previous message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Bundle loading hasn't changed much between 3.0.3 and 3.5.0.

There are no known startup problems in Virgo so we'd normally expect this kind of problem to be due to the application or other bundles the user has added to Virgo. However, you mention Virgo internal errors (service resolution, deadlock etc.) which might imply there is something wrong with Virgo itself. A deadlock should be relatively straightforward to look into. Please could you provide a thread stack dump so we can take a look? Virgo should take such a dump automatically when it detects the presence of the deadlock. You could analyse it yourself by looking at the stacks that form the deadlock and seeing which classes are involved.

[Updated on: Fri, 01 June 2012 09:39]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet
Next Topic:Virgo Tooling M4 Released
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:04:34 GMT 2024